Coming to Medellin (For 2 months initially, with view to move later)

Living in Germany at the moment  which is nice, although do get a bit  bored sometimes... Not to mention the  dreaded German bureaucracy, which is fearsome. So reckon time to try something else, intend to go to Medellin.  Always best to check places out before deciding to move, so intend to spend a couple of months or so there  to check it out.

Have actually been to Colombia before, quite some years ago in one of the smaller towns,  wasn't the best idea  I ever had, the FARC was still very active and kidnapping Gringo's was one of their favourite activities, (although they wouldn't have got much for me...Maybe £3.50 :-)  so thought best to bugger off  rather  sharpish.

But I expect it's a lot safer these days,  read many positive comments about  Medellin

Oh yeah while I'm on here,  be off soon, so therefore looking for a furnished apartment in Medellin for about 2-3 months from the end of this month.  Only for one person, so small apartment or studio, would be ok.  Internet  access would be useful,but not essential.

If by the off chance somebody knows an  available place there, please write

Hello, TP3813,
How is your Spanish? 
You can easily find an apartment on Air B & B.  For all things, Medellin check out Medellin Guru. That is the best all-purpose site for all things Medellin.
Also if you pull down the Community tab on the top here of Expat.com you will see a pull down for bloggers that live here and that will be additional resources for you. Our blog site is listed under Colombia. Or: https://latitudeadjustmentblog.com/

If you need a driver, translator and all-around person to assist you send us a PM and we will pass on his information.

Good luck!

Hi,

thanks for answer

Well, my Spanish is not perfect but lived in Dominican Rep. before, so picked up bit of the Espanol  lingo, reckon ok for basic conversation.

Yeah of course considered airbnb.. is ok sometimes,  but what I don't like about them, they also add their fee and the longer you book more expensive it gets,  if it was a flat rate wouldn't be too bad, but they do it by the day, so eventually you pay quite a lot more than the actual rent price.  So would only use airbnb for very short stay.

Note the other advice given and will look into it, thanks :-)

Your welcome.
The thing about Air B & B is that they have greatly reduced rates for longer than a month's stay. Once you check-in you can deal direct with the owner and negotiate a longer-term rental at a much lower price. Lots of Expats do that We did it.
You can also send a message to the owner of the Airb & B and tell them your plans and see if they will work a deal. There are so much competition and so many places that you should have no problem getting what you want. Especially come January when the Holiday tourist season is over.

Hi,
Ok thanks for that  further info.  Actually it's been a long time  since I have used airbnb .. Then it was difficult  to contact the owner directly to make deals... naturally they don't like that, as they  may lose money but maybe things have changed ... Shall have a look at the latest airbnb offerings.

As for the time I was planning to go before January, probably end of this month, so I'll have to take my chances.

But I expect I will find something, I don't mind  living  in  the areas where mostly locals live and not the areas  Gringos  usually congregate...  in fact that is what I usually do it, find it more interesting ... With the added advantage of probably being bit cheaper. 

That's what I did in Dominican Republic. I  tried an area a little  away from the tourist Gringo  areas  and got a place quite a lot cheaper... Usually Gringos paid $500- 800  or more per month ,  but looking around a bit found a place for less than half that, $255 a month.. Yeah it wasn't luxury, but it suited my needs and was a bargain really as it included electric.

Might you be interested in sharing a big furnished place just outside of Medellin but connected by metro system? Im gone all the time.....Looking ofr somebody to share expenses and come and go at will, like me......makes a great home base.....safe town, gated community, great security......and the price is right.....No smokers tho.......

Hi

sorry for late reply but only just seen your post, been a bit busy.

>Might you be interested in sharing a big furnished place just outside of Medellin but connected by metro system?

Well, normally I like to live in my own place, but in this case with time a bit short, as I shall probably be going in about 2-3 weeks,  it might be worth considering depending on the price and location. Don't want to be too far out of town. What is the exact area? And price of course...is it inclusive or extra for electricity and utilities?

Also I really need internet, for online banking etc...is that also included

>Im gone all the time.....Looking ofr somebody to share expenses and come and go at will, like me......makes a >great home base.....safe town, gated community, great security......and the price is right.....No smokers tho.......

Sounds interesting and don't worry about smoking, I hate smoking.

Anyway tell me more so I can make a judgement if it is suitable or not

have a nice weekend

T.