Cost for renting a house ?

Hi all !

We are a family with 2 children (6 and 9) and are planning to move to Thailand next september for a year. We are still searching our ideal place, in the country side/village.
To make sure our project is feasible, we are trying to find information about how much the rent will cost us. We are looking for a little house (2 bedrooms) with a little garden.

Maybe you could tell us how much you pay/payed and the location? This way we could have an idea of prices according to the region.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Greg

Hi Greg,

Welcome to Expat.com and thank you for your nice introduction :)

I would first of all advise you to go through the various articles about accommodation in the Thailand Expat Guide. Here is the direct link : https://www.expat.com/en/guide/asia/tha … ation.html
You will find some information about the prices of rents there.

I also invite you to go through the Find an accommodation in Thailand section where you may also find some complementary information.

The housing in Thailand section is also at your entire disposal. This section displays all the housing offers from agencies and individuals, it may also help you to get a better picture of the prices there. ;)

Do not hesitate to ask more questions, we shall do our best to help you in your expatriation process.
Are you moving there for work?

Wish you all the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks & Regards,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

First you familie have to find what area you want to live in.
Because others say this or that area is great, Is not the same as it be great for your familie.

Then be 100% sure about the conditions to rent, Dont pay 1 year deposits ahead, Only pay 1  month deposits and first month ahead (Total 2 month).
BE sure you pay water & power direct to the company, As some landlord like to charge 200%-300% ekstra.

Make it part of the contract that the landlord do the TM.30 to Immigration.
(NOTIFICATION FROM FOR HOUSE-MASTER, OWNER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE. WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED)
And if the Immigration Office where you choose to live want it every time you way from that adresse more the 24 hours have to redo it, That the landlord do it again.
Get landlord to signup for doing it online (mobil apps) make this easy to do.
You can sign up your self, But need some paper work from your landlord to do so.

There is so much to take into account it is hard to say a price to rent a house.
But i say from 2.800 baht per month to XXX.XXX baht per month.

You want to live near to area where every thing happened !
Want to live in a area with a lot of other foreigner or in Thai area !
Near the sea, mountains.
House come with furniture, partly furniture or no furniture.

I imagine you want to be near a school area for the kids.
All so look for area with playgrounds for the kids to play and meet other kids.

When we live in Bangkok we rent a townhouse for 8.000 baht per month, It was total new modify.

We have friends living in Chonburi rent townhouse for 2.800 baht per month.

We live in Bang Saen and price here near the sea is around 8.000 baht per month for detached house and up.

Happy house hunt.

Kindly.

Hi Greg
Here is a web of Bangkok Post
https://www.bangkokpost.com/
They have many adverts and there is also Thai Visa newsletter which has many adverts
"Never done" has the best advice for you.
Just to give you an idea
Electricity is around 4.3 Baht a Kilowatt and water is about 5 Baht a kiloliter where I am so as as said be careful when you sign a contract.This is the price from the supplier
I live in a rural area about 125 Km from Bkk but I have my "own " house and do not rent
I live on a farm of about 6 Rai.
Good Luck

I had lived in the country side for about 5 years, now in Hua Hin.

In Uthai Thani I paid 3.000 THB /mo for a 3 floors Thai House (4 bedrooms, 1 kitchen, 3 bathrooms, nice and spacious veranda), but it was about 30 minutes outside the downtown in a village right in the main highway that connects with the west side of Thailand, everything around, I mean gas station, mini marts and 7/11, morning market, etc.. Immigration office was 25 minutes from the house.

In Nakhon Sawan I paid 4.500 THB /mo for a 2 floors house inside a condominium (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen and nice living room with an small office in the front), it was about 10 minutes driving to the downtown. Also in Nakhon Sawan just 15km outside the downtown I rent a second house for only 2.500 Thb /mo

In Hua Hin I pay 10.000 Thb, but it is also a business together, normal prices in Hua Hin are between 5.000 and 10.000 for a 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, kitchen, etc.. depends on location. Front beach goes up to 45.000 Thb /mo.

I'm afraid there is nothing much under 2.500 thb /mo, maybe in the villages somewhere in north of Thailand. I had been in Chiang Rai for a few months and it was pretty cheap and nice place, but i was not paying rent there, then not sure how much it cost.

One more thing, do not use real estate agents, deal direct with the owner, you have to be here in Thailand to do it, once here check in with some hotel in the area you are looking for rent, then go around asking, the best way to find good deals, a lot of land lords just put a warn in front of the house, they also do not use real estate agents.

Good luck with your decision.

I used to pay THB 20 k / month for a small villa that would fit your family in a gated community (almost entirely inhabitated by Thais and all the few other foreigners were Asian) in the suburbs.
Disadvantage was the distance from Bangkok centre (45min drive if there ever were no jams - in reality it sometimes took us 3 hours!) and the lack of transport options other than own car.

Dear everyone,

I am Greg's wife, Eleonora and we are both very thankful for your answers, thank you! They are very detailed and give us a good comprehension about cost for housing.

We have advanced in our plans and this is where we are for the moment:

1. We definitely do not want to be in town, our dream would be in the nature outside a small village or outside a medium town. We are thinking about outside Krabi. What is your experience about this area? How are the housing prices compared to other places? Is 15 000 bath/month reasonable?

2. And if possible even going as far as participating in a permaculture/eco village life. We would love to hear from everyone who has advice for us in this!

3. We plan to have our own car, unless you tell us it is not useful.

4. We would love to live amongs thai and we are not necessarily searching the company of expats, but the authentic thai life, if possible...

5. We will homeschool our children, so no need for living close to school.

We are happy for all future replies and pls dont hesitate to tell us if we are far from reality in our plans.

Regards,
Eleonora

Greg the best advice I can give you is first to come to Thailand and find the area you and your family feel comfortable. Prices will vary it will depend if you rent where there are many farangs the price will be much higher as in tourist destinations.

I agree with my namesake 100%  and be careful of Estate agents and also re the payment of Electricity and water.
Pay directly to the supplier as many owners add up to a 100% fee to the price
Your water should be around 5 THB per kiloliter and electricity about 4.5 Baht per KW unit
I live in a very quiet rural area in Prachin Buri on 6 Rai belonging to my partner and have a rental agreement for 30 years which is renewable when I am 101 years old for another 30 years after which I doubt I will be around ha ha.
We have thought of it of renting land with decent long term contracts to people who would like to build their own house.
To build a decent 84  Sq Meter house costs about 450 K to 500K THB here in most rural areas if you can find a good and honest builder
Hope this helps