Cheapest way to send a 42 inch flat screen tv

Is priceSmart a really good store to join? What else does it sell that you have found to be better deals than going to a regular store?

Pricemart is a warehouse style membership store.  Some things are great prices, others are only good prices.  And some things you will only find there.  If you like to or need to buy in quantity then it could add value for you! 

Go there and ask to walk around and look!

Oftentimes, they sell bulk packages.... 'Valu-Paks'

Or you can do what I did,buy it in the states and take it out the box and put in one of those canvas pop up suit cases (tall) along with the packing styrofoam and stuff it good with clothing and bring on the plane.free,free,free

@planner what's the best way to buy a mini split as 12k in the Dominican Republic

@Connie Hackett  no duty tax on the TV unless you bring 4-5 of them because then they think you're selling them  , I bring brand new tools and some appliances and fixtures with me every time in the boxes, never a problem

I bought two new 42 inch Sanyo TVs in Phoenix AZ - on a super clearance sale - and shipped with all my goods when I relocated to the DR. All done way before getting my Temporary Residency because I had to liquidate all my property in AZ. After paying duty etc, the cost equaled  buying new in Moca or Santiago. Just my input - wait for your Duty Free time if that's an option.....cheers
Recently, I bought a 43 inch Smart TV...$350
Shipped it by mudanza - Awilda Shipping in Bronx - for about $175

Cheaper than here and more assurance of quality - IMO
The price of Tv's have come down  recently so it may no longer be worth buying and shipping. Also understand that you void any warrantee when you do that.
Same with a US car when you ship it here...

Warranty void when it leaves the Canada...Canada, DR, anywhere
In that vein, I import all my major appliances....

What you buy here is NOT the same as a US product... inferior quality and parts
I bought a 55 inch sony smart tv for $44,000 pesos at pricesmart in July.  Its very nice.  But they lured us to the store.  I had originally bought a Toshiba 55 inch for about $30,000 which was unusually cheap, but they told us it was ready for pickup.  After we arrived they said they didnt have any left.  I was pretty mad and tried to negotiate a replacement for the same price but they said I can have my money back.  Instead of making the trip a 2nd time to Santo Domingo from Punta Cana, I just spent more money and bought the Sony.  From what I can see, that was still a reasonable price for this country. 

I forgot to mention, Pricesmart has very nice wine and cheese, big packs of beef tenderloin (my fav) and other goodies but in large quantities. Its alot like costco but less variety. The original question was "what else does pricesmart sell". As posted by others, you can go online and see for yourself but not everything is shown.

https://pricesmart.com/site/do/en

In 2001, we bought 2 Hisense RokuTV enabled 55" TVs at Cecomsa for a little bit under $500 each. Funny they had the Costco stickers on them as if they were bought cheap in costco and shipped to DR. They must have still make money but the price was pretty good considering Price Smart was more expensive. Those Hisense Roku TVs are awesome.. their app is much better than Samsung or any other. and the TVs are great overall. I did buy the sound bar at price smart for a reasonable price.

@planner

I agree with planner.

The OP and question were from Nov 2019.  The DR market has changed su statically since then -- excellent large-screen flat TVs have dropped low enough in price to no longer be a luxury item.  Middle class Dominicans are now buying these flatscreens...because they are very affordable.

We've done some casual shopping for TVs as we've bebopped around PC, Bavaro and Veron, in Jan 2023.  I'm amazed at the size, picture quality and fairly reasonable prices.

My gut feel is that unless you're after the very highest-end, bleeding-edge TV features, we're  better off buying locally. At worst, head to SD or Santiago and do some shopping there to find the best prices.

Remembering that EVERY shipment carries some risk of damage...and that warranties are voided when shipping out of the country where purchased...the time/trouble/cost simply isn't worth it.

My 2023 vote is: Buy large flatscreen TVs locally in the DR.

Jim

ExpatRusher

"We've done some casual shopping for TVs as we've bebopped around PC, Bavaro and Veron, in Jan 2023."

I don't think the term "bebopped" is used often enough. I like it. I think I will make an effort to use it more myself. LOL

Rocky - I vote you king of expat for today!!!!

truu to all comments, I ended up getting one from pricemart as at least it is a local shop and has warranties.

if smaller TVs are needed, my neighbor brings lots of 42 inch im from the statesz he has a business of electronics. next door. 42 " 20,000 pesos brand new

just an fyi

Don't close it yet. I will be attempting to bring a used 55" TV with Air Transat tomorrow! Haha...we done it all shipped brought with bought there...any TV we have purchased there only lasts a couple years...It may be that we had bad luck each time...but, we will see. It's a TV I am willing to risk but would love for it to make it down there! Fingers crossed!

Keep us posted

TV arrived without a scratch. I had to pay $100 oversize fee... but I got it down and  customs guy did't charge me anything because it was not new (POP). I flew Air Transat out of Toronto which allows much more in terms of linear inches. I would not have been able to bring it with any US airline that I am aware of... so success! Total hassle getting it and two teenage girls to/from airport... but worth it...It's a TCL roku tv I never found one here ... just android

So let's analyze total cost honey. And we can compare to here.

TCL Roku Tv is available here.  I have seen them at JJR in Santo Domingo and Jumbo

I just checked JJR currently doesn't have and TCL Roku tvs.

Be careful with smart TVs. They are not updated as regularly as computers and cell-phones. If it has a camera or a mic hackers can get access to them. They also might get access to your home network through TV.

Just inquired about sending a TV from NY to puerto plata ,  women told me the cost is $9 USD ”per ” inch…. if New…. 🤔

Wow

Check out local Facebook retail stores and private parties have reasonably priced big screen TVs but most dont deliver for free , but it will be easier than shipping. Hope this helps

JJR has a 50" TCL with Roku on sale now. It's RD 24,900.  It's a great deal!