Finding a Base +++.......can you give some advise!?

Dear expat community,

I will arrive in Cebu  second week in october ..thats the plan.

I will stay in a hotel a few days.....to see Cebu...

Moving towardes Dumaguete where i like to find a base..from where i can get to know the visayas and negros. To finaly stay somwhere .......for good....who knows....lol (tried that before in thai)

First about transportation.....should i rent a bike or car  or buy a used one.......any tip?
A bike seems to risky for a long tranfer......a car maybee to expensive...???

I do need to find a smal house or a apartment....  nothing fancy but in a safe area, not so far from the convenient stores restaurants and such?

Guess you went thru all of this allready..so please let me pick your brains....

Regards  Thomas

Hello Thomas.  Welcome to the forum and welcome to Cebu. I can only give you some sketchy information based on the generalized request. If you have not been to the Philippines before you may need to reorganize your mind set. Cebu City is big, bustling, congested and unkempt. What do you want to see ?  For hotels, I would suggest sites like trivago, then you can pick your location and price range. I would use jeepneys and trikes for transport (stay away from Grab, they are TOO expensive), at least till you know your way around and only get your own transport if you are way out in the provinces. Just about everybody here advertises on facebook market, rentals are usually 6 or 12 months. Any more information I can help you with, just personal message me.
regards  Bruce

Hello Bruce, thank you for your feedback...!

Well, I have been in Mindoro before....was not that great..but diving was...lol
I hear cebu is much different.  I would like to find a base from where to get to know the visayas and negros..ie. Dumaguete for a month...before i decide where to stay.

Which areas of cebu are nice....to life at...
im not realy a big city fan..but like the amenties of a good infilstructure. I want to enjoy simple life..nothing fancy......

Maybe you have an idea.....
Thanks Thomas

Hi Tom and welcome to the forum. enjoy and contribute,,,,, as we do.
Bruce offers great advice and I would add to this airbnb for short term accom or when there, ask the locals, negotiations always seem to be the norm with acceptable outcomes. Yep for car and bike rentals FB. Find the mum and dad companies as we have done for years but out of Manila (Laguna) for great prices, little hassle, last rental for our car 3 months @ PHP 32K per month and they delivered the Vios/picked it up and for 3 maybe 4 years always returned our PHP 5K deposit in cash. Research.

If you are in Cebu city like Manila don't buy, rent/hire. Taxis, Jeepney, tricycle or walk, much cheaper and as for grab I find in Manila they are cheaper than a taxi especially for airport runs.

A few questions to you Tom,,,,, why the Philippines? Is it a destination you have chosen to live or just simply searching? Do you have a partner in tow within PH? Are you aware there are cheaper, better and safer countries to live in especially if you're single? What is the allure of PH?
Mind my own business yes but simply asking to help with your questions, enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks for those tips, car rental via FB....sounds good!

Yes i have a partner...picking me up...but im still searching....Steve.

Obvious reasons...sunn, beaches, affordable live, friendly women....etc.
Diving in the Phills is great...i was in midoro for a month.

I have spend 2+2  month in Thai. including 2 shorttime relationships..so thai. is out...lol

Im allways open for new ideas, Steve...but for the moment the cebu area is under evaluation....

I fly tomorrow...
..Thanks Tom

Enjoy Tom and keep us posted.

Cheers, Steve.

Hi there...
Duma used to be the prettiest city in the country, but now has been downgraded by many of us leaving after years of living there. Toxic smoke, lax city hall, and increasing chaos is now it's thing.
That said, as a city, it's still better looking that most large or small cities in the country. See if you like it.

Living accommodations.
Try C&L Bayview Hotel for a couple nights while you search out foreigner compounds. While not that good, It's close to the boulevard and quieter/cleaner than most others.
For only a short stay, try Dumaguete Studio Apts. that are nice enough for a new person while you look for better digs.
Or even better, try Matt's Dulce Vida Apts. up past Valencia high on the mountain, where the view and the apt and the pool might suit your taste. Both places are well organized, cost about 15-18k pisos / month not including power, and are usually filled with expats from everywhere. There are others but I stayed about 1.5-2 years in these places, and found them to be okay.
As you will likely regret it, please please do not consider filipino compounds no matter how nice they look!

Transportation.
I had 5 motorbikes in the Phils, and 2 cars over the course of 13 years. Bike is better, cheaper and faster, but you will do down some time when you least expect it. A bike allows you to pass gridlocked traffic easier, but hitting the pavement when a dog, chicken or kid interrupts your riding is most unpleasant. Ouch!
Depending on your age and risk-taking ability, rent a bike on the main drag, or, alternatively, try to find a good used Toyota VIOS, as they hold value and are better in quality than most others.
As for buying a little car, I can recommend Mia, GM at Mitzubishi Motors on the northwest highway from the city. She's glad to toss in any number of needed freebees, esp. if you mention my name (we are in touch to this day).  A hatchback or small sedan Mirage might do you well, and is less expensive, and less powerful, than most of the other Japanese/Korean cars. The hatchback helps you move around and park as best as any car allows in the mess of the city.

Food.
Although the food scene used to be much better, try WhyNot on the boulevard for a varied menu, JamRock at Hayahay for quasi-jerk chicken, meat stews, and a full meal that will fill you up. Depends on your tastes and appreciation for good to poor food?

Resorts.
Lot of them southeast of the city, as foreign entrepreneurs own most of the seafront from Bacong to Zamboanguita. French, American, German, and German-Swiss own most of them, and are trending up, and may have monthly rates if you ask. For a short stay, Pura Vida is the most beautiful and has decent food with day trips to neighbouring islands, lots of beachfront, and decent food.

Hope this helps. Ouch, someone's picking my brain. Ouch ouch.

Bruce

Thks, but in leaving Dmgte After one week....today to Medellin, Malapasqua...

You right, Dmgte was disappointing....not so nice..rip off....town.....
Will i ever get used to the phills food...lol.!?

Maybe more luck in the....contryside..i hope....lol.

Take care T.

Tom, Much depends on what you want and how plan to live. If you live in the provinces its handy to have a major centre not too far away. As provincial life has it draw backs, namely lack of facilities. No matter where you live you will need to 'do' something and the 'do' must compatible with the Phils or easy to get under way otherwise it may turn into a major hassle.
Fortunately these days you can get good internet connection in most major centres so that could expand  the capabilities of starting something.

Which cheaper, better and safer countries do you have in mind Sir?  I'm single though not much of a chaser anymore. But I am interested in your views and those of colleagues here.

Many thanks.

Tsmslf wrote:

Which cheaper, better and safer countries do you have in mind Sir?  I'm single though not much of a chaser anymore. But I am interested in your views and those of colleagues here.

Many thanks.

There are those who claim Vietnam and Thailand are cheaper but then other problems surface.  Thailand is so hot except in the mountains while Vietnam is a communist country.  English is more widely spoken in the Philippines, the number of call centers proves that.  Others claim Ecuador is cheaper, but unless you live in an expat area like Cuenca you need to learn Spanish to survive.  Ecuador is currently plagued with political unrest concerning government subsidies of gasoline.  Many chose the Philippines because of the advantages being married to a citizen of the Philippines.   Good luck in your research.

Thanks. Appreciate the courtesy.

I agree with mugtech, even some Eastern European countries are cheaper than PH.
As a Single unattached entity, please do your homework as the world could be your oyster.
Most but not all here have ties/love and this is why we are on the Philippines forum.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks for your advise....
you absolutely right....

For now i have a "basecamp" in medellin.....near kawit.

i have rentet a nice and cheap place with ac for me and my girlfriend yesterday..

Here is a smal expat community.......we meet almost dayly at Allans...at the center marketplace....

Medellin is smal...but Danbantanyan is only 10 km away.....and quite bussy...
I have to explore that more...

As you said the infillstructure is important...

Regards Tom.

Hi there!
I have spend 5 month in Thai. and now 2 in the Phills.

Pricewise i would say Thai is double the pricetag.
The phills are very cheap once you are set up.....

Im surprised how safe it is here...people are friendly and curious about us whiteboys....
Drawback is the extrem poverty you are confronted with.
Also the food is not so great.
If you want good you have to do it yourself......

The language is a absolute plus in the phills....beautyfull beaches....and the best dive spots in the world.....

I would say it is not really possible to compare the Phills. with Thai.
Those are two different worlds....and both have there own charm....

But i am still sorting.... it feels good here....so far... (-:

Regards
Tom

Tom I guess its like most cities you have to find the places you like and the smaller the place the less choice you have. I have developed a taste for the local food and have my favourites, one of them being street food.
But if want really good Philo food its need to be cooked a Chef the difference is night and day. Also most Philo dishes its more about about the sauce that you add to get the way you like it, rather than what you may find in the west.

As for feels good, yup can go with that :)