Job offer in Dubai - enough?

Hello all,

I know there are a million similar topics, but as usual I'd like to hear some opinions about my case.

So, the salary I've been offered is 240 000 AED per year, plus 5% yearly bonuses. No car/accommodation coverage. Me and my partner are going to get married and he will look for a job once he moves (though started to apply already, he works in IT). We do not have kids/pets and I would prefer to not have a car at least in the first half a year or so; do you think this salary is enough to support us two while my partner looks for a job? I'm thinking that for the start we'd rent a studio/one bedroom flat in Dubai Marina (so ~60 000/year), so it seems like my salary would be enough?

Thanks for your help!

Ieva

Hi Leva,

Welcome to Dubai. It all depends on how you want to live.
Expenses can pile up quickly while in Dubai, and if you are into frequent dining, clubbing, getting the latest in tech and stuff, travelling back home(because you have to account that), paying for taxis and other stuff, then things will be tight for you. You can still live without sending much in Dubai, but there are also things you would love to try and see here because they are great. So be mindful of what you want. I live in Marina, which is very nice, but for instance a good flat is at least for 80k a year(unfurnished).

Feel free to message me if you want to know more, I'll be happy to support.

Good luck!

Yes, the offer which you got is enough.

Hi Leva

The first priority is that the company has a solid reputation and that you will get your salary on time every time. Sounds like you have a "local" contract. Missing are the accommodation support (you mentioned), annual flights home, medical insurance, moving in expenses and any benefits for your spouses (to be) like medical insurance and visa.

The job market is highly competitive with hundreds and sometimes thousands of applicants for one job. The water, electricity, dining and petrol attract tax. VAT is less than many countries.

On accommodation, rent is normally charged 12 months in advanced and payable immediately or in a series of post-dated cheques. The penalties for dishonoured cheques are severe.... extreme. Hence the need to have a reliable income stream from your employers. Some employers offer an interest free loan.  As LeKruz said consider the cost of furnishing.

Once you work out your income vs expenses then you'll be able to determine if it is for you. On the face of it, it looks ok but I am not sure if ok for the Marina. Your approach of a studio flat is a good thinking.

Good luck and and I wish you both a pleasant time in Dubai!

Hi all, thank you for your comments!

Just to make it clear - our lifestyle is not posh at all, we're calm people and tend not to overspend if we don't feel secure about out finances. No fancy parties needed and I love to cook, so apart from eating lunch at work (maybe) I don't see eating out as a necessity at least until I don't feel like I can allow it to myself.

My office is in Marina, that's why I am targeting the surrounding area for living. The company is 100% reliable and international (I am working with them even now in my other job in another country, so I know I am not accepting some blind offer). They also offered interest-free loan to cover the rental of the accommodation in the begging. Fair point about the inability to break the accommodation contract in Dubai; where I live now the market is full of people looking to rent a place and shortage of flats, so it is easy to pass the contract to someone else with a very minor penalty.

Flights home for me is ~400eur roundtrip (so 1600 AED) as I am used to going home mostly once a year (I have lived abroad for the last 6 years, in 2 different countries - expat life is nothing new to me).

I do not fully understand the furnishing issue - the ads on multiple rental webpages offer  studio flats that are fully furnished and it does not seem bad at all; maybe we have different standards in Europe (meaning lower) when it comes to using used (but clean) furniture, as nobody wants to buy them for yourself when you don't know how fast you may decide to move to another city/country - I have the same approach, but maybe I do not understand something about Dubai in this sense :)

Thanks again, and any extra comments would be very welcome!

honestly, even you get 50k salary per year. that will enough. but that depends on you. if you want highfy life. more then highfi. then 200000000 aed even not enough

As others have said, your lifestyle choices will determine whether you save money or are hand to mouth at the end of each month.

Accommodation will be, by far, the biggest expense.  Factor in 60-90K for a one bed furnished in Marina.  In Dubai, apartments are either advertised as unfurnished, semi-furnished (appliances only like fridge etc) or fully furnished.  Fully furnished obviously cost more.  In addition, not every building is the same in terms of quality of tenants or the maintenance.  You might get a dream apartment in a building and then find out that elevators are out of order most times, gym equipment not being kept up to date, a one bed apartment is being shared by 3-4 people in your immediate surroundings (problem with quite a few buildings in Marina) and / or security control at front desk is lacking.  So it's best to go and see multiple buildings as well as rely on word of mouth to get an idea whether you would want to live there.   On the plus side, it is a buyer/renter market with so many flats being vacant in Dubai due to the economic downturn.

The other expense that can quickly add up is medical if you don't have health insurance.  Average cost for a doctor visit could be up to 500 AED in good hospitals.  You may rely on taxis if your place of work is not far but then keep in mind that you are looking at a return trip cost of anywhere between 20-40 AED a day.  Mobile/internet/tv bills can also set you back between 200-400 AED a month.   Factor in 1500 AED for groceries for 2 people a month.   Lastly, be aware that unless you and your partner are married, you won't be able to sponsor him for a visa.