Road Trip

I need honest opinion.
I am thinking of buying a regular 7 passenger van and converting to sleeper. starting up north and work my way down south . parking at beaches , camp sites , off the beaten path , mountains , mall parking lots . if need to willing to pay a little for parking. possible check in cheap hotels 2 times a wk for hot shower and what have you . Anyone tried this b4 ? even if takes 6 months , i am on no time schedule. what do you think people, due able. or dumb and too dangerous ?

No, i like your idea. I have a small 4 door, multicab and take my motorcycle with me. When i travel. I enjoy the travel. You just have to plan a little and nit get frustrated with the roads and ferry schedules. I have never felt unsafe traveling thus way. I dont travel too much at night because of the many road hazards. Have traveled in all of panny, negros, cebu, so.Leyte, northern mindano, siriago islands , dinigat islands. Im in so leyte now.

thank you for your reply and to reinforce my thoughts .

Hi,
We are a foreign couple here in the Philippines and are also converting a van into a basic motorhome (sofa bed, etc.). We take our time to convert it and plan to visit all the country after that.

rocktober101 wrote:

check in cheap hotels 2 times a wk for hot shower

Isn't this an oxymoron here?  You generally don't find hot water showers in cheap hotels!  :lol:

rocktober101 wrote:

possible check in cheap hotels 2 times a wk for hot shower

Mount a container on the top of the van filled with water, let it cook in the sun and you'll have hot water for a shower right at the van.  That's pretty cheap.

I took time out to ride all around the Phils on motorbike, and gained a lot of insight and adventures doing it. You will be much more comfortable, as you can pull over into any old field or mall parking lot and sleep immediately, cheaply. Consider making your van super suited to your tastes even if somewhat mahal? Enjoy.

Hobbit112 wrote:
rocktober101 wrote:

Isn't this an oxymoron here?  You generally don't find hot water showers in cheap hotels!  :lol:

oxymoron huh!

Hot showers for a warm place? come on! Tropical places does not need to have hot showers. I could not just understand why you tried bringing the North and South poll mindsets when living in a tropical place.

Road trip is really a great idea for adventurous people. I was thinking the same thing but my work required me like to die in the office from Monday to Saturday.  This could just be a wish for me hoping 1 day soon, I could have a road trip like what you are doing.

I plan to do this also. In a couple of years.. I think it would be awsome to see more on this beautiful / amazing country like that!  If you do it. Please post!  Would love to read about the daily adventure / route / advice.

Probably dumb ... but I'd definitely do it

PS. The shower problem is easy.
A bucket
A scoop
Soap
do it village style.

When on long trips with no option, a cover around the rear doors makes a shower tent.

Hobbit112 wrote:
rocktober101 wrote:

It´s a tropical country. Cheap hotels won´t have that...

TeeJay4103 wrote:
rocktober101 wrote:

possible check in cheap hotels 2 times a wk for hot shower

Mount a container on the top of the van filled with water, let it cook in the sun and you'll have hot water for a shower right at the van.  That's pretty cheap.

I like the idea but that could create structural rupture as he travels through pot-holed roads in PI with
water in the tank. And then he has to manually climb and with a pail of water to put the water in? Assuming you have a hose to put the water in... Who would help him out with the water source, his uncle? No thanks!

I´ll wait for typhoon Aline to get the free shower and a beautiful view maybe along a mountainside or maybe a beach. I just hope there´s no tsunami while I´m at the beach though...

Why would anyone want hot water?
A gallon plastic container of water and an Asian style bathing scoop is easily enough, a two gallon container if you really have to.

rocktober101 wrote:

I need honest opinion.
I am thinking of buying a regular 7 passenger van and converting to sleeper. starting up north and work my way down south . parking at beaches , camp sites , off the beaten path , mountains , mall parking lots . if need to willing to pay a little for parking. possible check in cheap hotels 2 times a wk for hot shower and what have you . Anyone tried this b4 ? even if takes 6 months , i am on no time schedule. what do you think people, due able. or dumb and too dangerous ?

Dumb and too dangerous. I know that  Hawaii could get hot and you can handle the heat and humidity. But sleeping anywhere like a beach or along a mountainside? Very dangerous. You could be a victim anytime - especially from a drunk man who just finished a gallon of "basi" or "lambanog." Camping
sites? This is not the States!

Don´t do it x 5.... ehrrr x10!

robal

Igiodroe1 wrote:

No, i like your idea. I have a small 4 door, multicab and take my motorcycle with me. When i travel. I enjoy the travel. You just have to plan a little and nit get frustrated with the roads and ferry schedules. I have never felt unsafe traveling thus way. I dont travel too much at night because of the many road hazards. Have traveled in all of panny, negros, cebu, so.Leyte, northern mindano, siriago islands , dinigat islands. Im in so leyte now.

Lucky so far...

robal

johanne24 wrote:

Hi,
We are a foreign couple here in the Philippines and are also converting a van into a basic motorhome (sofa bed, etc.). We take our time to convert it and plan to visit all the country after that.

I hope you have airconditioning...

daenr wrote:

I took time out to ride all around the Phils on motorbike, and gained a lot of insight and adventures doing it. You will be much more comfortable, as you can pull over into any old field or mall parking lot and sleep immediately, cheaply. Consider making your van super suited to your tastes even if somewhat mahal? Enjoy.

Sleep immediately? Cheaply and anywhere? My Lord. I´ve been to combat duties as a US military at various countries but I´ll NEVER do that in the Philippines!

prince_denison wrote:
Hobbit112 wrote:
rocktober101 wrote:

oxymoron huh!

Hot showers for a warm place? come on! Tropical places does not need to have hot showers. I could not just understand why you tried bringing the North and South poll mindsets when living in a tropical place.

He needs at least a 4 star hotel in Manila...

prince_denison wrote:

Road trip is really a great idea for adventurous people. I was thinking the same thing but my work required me like to die in the office from Monday to Saturday.  This could just be a wish for me hoping 1 day soon, I could have a road trip like what you are doing.

Your time will come. Just don´t wait too long though - with arthritis and an easy myocardial infarction won´t help.  :D

global challenge wrote:

I had a campervan in SA and travelled around with my bike and surfboard to amazing places. Sadly in SA you have to find SAFE places and hence cant' just stop at shopping malls etc. However living out of my van and being totally self sufficient was amazing.

I also did a campervan trip in Oz but then I hardly ever stayed in campsites as the coastal route and beaches were amazing places to park and I did a few parking lots along the way as well as those 'drive and stay alive' parking areas around 20 km from the towns which were for the big truckers (and some vans)

Sleeping in back of a van in Philippines is going to be very hot. You will also want to consider mosquito nets. Hot showers in this place?

Enjoy the experience. Campervan life rocks :))

SA.... South America or Saudi Arabia?

Lotta great  surfing in Saudi Arabia.

mugtech wrote:

Lotta great  surfing in Saudi Arabia.

Yes there are - on both the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf (as long as you´re not caught by the Islamic
Revolutionary Guard Corps).