Marriage and Visa for Living Permanently (VEC or TRC ?)

I will go to Vietnam on Tourist Visa and get married. After marriage, I want to live in Vietnam. I want to get appropriate visa for living long term without hassle. I have read sticky threads about VEC and TRC but they are old information. I want to get the latest info.

My Questions are:

1. I'll be on Tourist Visa. After marriage, should I get VEC or TRC?

2. Is it possible to get TRC directly after marriage? ( I read in the other thread about VEC first, after that TRC. However, some recent posts said that they got TRC directly. Need clarification.)

3. My residence will be in another province close to HCMC. Apply for VEC / TRC in provincial immigration office or HCMC immigration office?

4. Can I change from Tourist Visa to VEC / TRC in Vietnam? Or Do I have to leave Vietnam and come back again? ( I read about "activating VEC". Does HCMC immigration give 6 month stamp? Or leaving and coming back is mandatory for first 6 month stamp?) ( With TRC first time, need to leave and come back? )

TRC allows you to stay without having to do visa runs.

VEC after marriage means every three months have to leave the country..

Jlgarbutt wrote:

VEC visa runs are now 6 months, not 3 months.

1- TRC

2-  Yes.  VEC and TRC are two separate things, one doesn't precede the other.

3- Immigration office in your province.

4- You don't need to leave VN.  Your wife will be your sponsor, once TRC is issued, your Tourist Visa is no longer valid.  TRC is valid for 3 years and you don't have to leave the country.  VEC is 5 years, with a mandatory leave every 6 months.  "Activating VEC" means having the entry stamp the first time you arrive in the country.  As you're not going to apply for VEC, this doesn't concern you.

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Every 6 months, not 3 months.

Opps, I didn't see that Colin has already said the same thing.

Ciambella wrote:

1- TRC

4- You don't need to leave VN.  Your wife will be your sponsor, once TRC is issued, your Tourist Visa is no longer valid.  TRC is valid for 3 years and you don't have to leave the country.  VEC is 5 years, with a mandatory leave every 6 months.  "Activating VEC" means having the entry stamp the first time you arrive in the country.  As you're not going to apply for VEC, this doesn't concern you.

For Question No. 2, I asked this because the sticky thread about TRC mentions many times about requirement of having VEC or TT visa before applying for TRC.

Do even though married the TRC is a better option..

Ciambella wrote:

1- TRC

Ciambella.... 1. If my wife holding a U.S Visa and we living in the U.S... Can she still sponsor me for the TRC?
2. Can my wife come back to Vietnam anytime she want to while she is holding a U.S Visa?

Ciambella wrote:

1- TRC

Immigration in Ba Ria only issues a 2 year TRC for spouses, Saigon issues a 3 year....unbelievable.

colinoscapee wrote:

Immigration in Ba Ria only issues a 2 year TRC for spouses, Saigon issues a 3 year....unbelievable.

Ba Ria needs money more than Saigon does and probably tries to find some of it in TRC fees.  My nephew (retired Head of Tax Department in Phu Nhuan) told me that Saigon receives 1/3 of the country's total funding while other cities get only a very small fraction each.

Rahj_Devon wrote:

1. If my wife holding a U.S Visa and we living in the U.S... Can she still sponsor me for the TRC?
2. Can my wife come back to Vietnam anytime she want to while she is holding a U.S Visa?

Your chpice of terms is confusing.  Is your wife holding a VN passport and a US visa or green card while living in the US or do you mean that she is a US citizen with a US passport?  If she hold a US passport but is still in her family book (hộ khẩu) and has a VN Id card she should be able to obtain a VN passport from the embassy/consulate in the US.  If she has those documents, she can sponsor you for a TRC.

This link can guide her to apply for a VN passport:  https://vietnamconsulate-sf.org/en/2017 … ai-hoa-ky/

# 3

Lam Dong Immigration Office said to apply TRC in HCMC immigration department. !! Though family book registered in Lam Dong.

RH1122 wrote:

# 3

Lam Dong Immigration Office said to apply TRC in HCMC immigration department. !! Though family book registered in Lam Dong.

At least half of the information the "authority" tells you should be taken with a grain of salt.  Some with a much larger amount.   

Return a different day, ask the same question, and if that person is off somewhere, there's a good chance that you'll receive a different answer from another staff.

People said there's no such thing is one true answer in Vietnam, but it's not only VN where that phenomenon happens.  I lived with the same thing on daily basis in Italy.

THIGV wrote:
Rahj_Devon wrote:

1. If my wife holding a U.S Visa and we living in the U.S... Can she still sponsor me for the TRC?

Your chpice of terms is confusing.  Is your wife holding a VN passport and a US visa or green card while living in the US or do you mean that she is a US citizen with a US passport?  If she hold a US passport but is still in her family book (hộ khẩu) and has a VN Id card she should be able to obtain a VN passport from the embassy/consulate in the US.  If she has those documents, she can sponsor you for a TRC.

This link can guide her to apply for a VN passport:  https://vietnamconsulate-sf.org/en/2017 … ai-hoa-ky/

Hey THIGV.... She is not a US Citizen yet or currently does not hold a U.S passport.  She just came to the U.S and currently holding a U.S Visa until they (U.S) provide her a green card.  Yes, She is still a Vietnamese citizen and Holding a Vietnamese passport.  I was not sure if she can sponsor me a TRC since she is currently not living in VN but she is still holding a family book.  I hope this clear will clear thing up.

Rahj_Devon wrote:

She is not a US Citizen yet or currently does not hold a U.S passport.  She just came to the U.S and currently holding a U.S Visa until they (U.S) provide her a green card.  Yes, She is still a Vietnamese citizen and Holding a Vietnamese passport.  I was not sure if she can sponsor me a TRC since she is currently not living in VN but she is still holding a family book.  I hope this clear will clear thing up.

She will be able to return to Vietnam any time but she will have to wait until the green card comes.  She shows the VN passport going to VN and the passport and green card on the way back.  I don't think she can sponsor you for a TRC until you return to live at least semi-permanently in Vietnam.  At least that would seem logical as the R stands for Resident.  For yourself, you can get a VEC now from the consulate in the US as long as you have copies of your marriage license and your US passport has 5 more years left.  Don't send the original (BẢN CHíNH), with the national seal in color, as you will not get  it back.  You need the official copy (BẢN SAO) which you can get wherever you were married, presumably Ben Tre.

Remember that time spent in Vietnam by your wife is tacked on the the back of the time she needs to become a US citizen and staying overseas for more than 6 months (I think  :/ ) starts the clock back at the beginning again.  Keep the Vietnam visits to a reasonable duration until she gets her US citizenship.

RH1122 wrote:

For Question No. 2, I asked this because the sticky thread about TRC mentions many times about requirement of having VEC or TT visa before applying for TRC.

Not VEC unless you want to leave the country every 6 months. 

If you want an absolute, carved in stone, unwavered certainty (which doesn't exist in VN except for bribing), then after receiving your marriage certificate, simply have your wife fill out the documents to sponsor you for TRC.  When you submit the documents in person, they will tell you whether you'll need to change your tourist visa to TT while waiting for TRC.

Ciambella wrote:
RH1122 wrote:

Not VEC unless you want to leave the country every 6 months. 

If you want an absolute, carved in stone, unwavered certainty (which doesn't exist in VN except for bribing), then after receiving your marriage certificate, simply have your wife fill out the documents to sponsor you for TRC.  When you submit the documents in person, they will tell you whether you'll need to change your tourist visa to TT while waiting for TRC.

Where to submit TRC application in HCMC?

254 Nguyen Trai Street, District 1
OR
196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street, District 3

As of June 2019, the second one: 

Phòng Quản lý Xuất Nhập Cảnh Công An, 196 Nguyễn Thị Minh Khai, P6, Q3

THIGV wrote:
Rahj_Devon wrote:

She is not a US Citizen yet or currently does not hold a U.S passport.  She just came to the U.S and currently holding a U.S Visa until they (U.S) provide her a green card.  Yes, She is still a Vietnamese citizen and Holding a Vietnamese passport.  I was not sure if she can sponsor me a TRC since she is currently not living in VN but she is still holding a family book.  I hope this clear will clear thing up.

She will be able to return to Vietnam any time but she will have to wait until the green card comes.  She shows the VN passport going to VN and the passport and green card on the way back.  I don't think she can sponsor you for a TRC until you return to live at least semi-permanently in Vietnam.  At least that would seem logical as the R stands for Resident.  For yourself, you can get a VEC now from the consulate in the US as long as you have copies of your marriage license and your US passport has 5 more years left.  Don't send the original (BẢN CHíNH), with the national seal in color, as you will not get  it back.  You need the official copy (BẢN SAO) which you can get wherever you were married, presumably Ben Tre.

Remember that time spent in Vietnam by your wife is tacked on the the back of the time she needs to become a US citizen and staying overseas for more than 6 months (I think  :/ ) starts the clock back at the beginning again.  Keep the Vietnam visits to a reasonable duration until she gets her US citizenship.

Thanks THIGV.... Appreciated Sir....

From my very recent experience in June this Year.

I was on a Business Visa DN Class and pretty sure Tourist Visa  will be treated the same way.

You will be required after you have your Marriage Certificate to have your Spouse sponsor you for either a TRC or a TT Visa.

In my case I was able to do a TT Visa fast track which involved going across the boarder and walking back in. I was then issued with a 1 year TT Visa (which is given to relatives)

The TT Visa means I can come and go up to 1 year and have not restrictions during that time.

Once my 1 year is up if not sooner I will convert the TT into a  3 year TRC after the 3 years I will be given a 5 year or longer Residence.

I would highly suggest you contact the Vietnam Consulate/Embassy in your Home Country to clarify the options.

I married a Viet last February. When my visa expiry was due soon afterwards, I had to do a visa run. However after that one, I would only have go to the Hoi An police station every six months and get it stamped there. I had my doubts but sure enough six months later in August I got another another six months for about 200,000 VND. My wife had done the leg work without using agents or bribes?

I dunno, I have to do a visa run every year to Cambodia, and after six months, an extension. Used to be able to skip the visa runs but with more recent legislation we have to do the runs and give do the whole coffee tips rigmarole at the border... :(

If anyone knows a better way aside from buying your own property here (which would be a nice step to take if the opportunity can be afforded) post your response or PM me.

Personally I'd rather pay more but not have to exit so frequently, if that were made legally possible.

wildwildwest wrote:

If anyone knows a better way aside from buying your own property here (which would be a nice step to take if the opportunity can be afforded) post your response or PM me.

Buying property doesn't change your visa status.

No need for a visa run just go to your nearest Immigration office in your province or any Immigration office preferably not HCM

I should clarify that my advice to Rajh_Devon in post #15 to get a VEC as opposed to a TRC was based on the assumption that, as stays of over 6 months would jeopardize his wife's US immigration status, he would be adequately covered by the 6 month limit with the VEC.  He should be leaving safely before 6 months.  For those who are residing in Vietnam, the TRC looks far better, regardless of price, as the need for visa runs is obviated.

CHINABOB wrote:

No need for a visa run just go to your nearest Immigration office in your province or any Immigration office preferably not HCM

Can you do this if you are based in HCMC?

wildwildwest wrote:
CHINABOB wrote:

Can you do this if you are based in HCMC?

Immigration is much easier in Saigon, getting things done in provincial cities can be a nightmare.

pogopop wrote:

I married a Viet last February. When my visa expiry was due soon afterwards, I had to do a visa run. However after that one, I would only have go to the Hoi An police station every six months and get it stamped there. I had my doubts but sure enough six months later in August I got another another six months for about 200,000 VND. My wife had done the leg work without using agents or bribes?

Get her to do a 3 year Temp Res Card for you (196 NTMK?), spousal version is known as a TT. A TT TRC. Then you never have to leave and can renew at the end. You can stay for 6 years  without leaving if you want.

THIGV wrote:

I should clarify that my advice to Rajh_Devon in post #15 to get a VEC as opposed to a TRC was based on the assumption that, as stays of over 6 months would jeopardize his wife's US immigration status, he would be adequately covered by the 6 month limit with the VEC.  He should be leaving safely before 6 months.  For those who are residing in Vietnam, the TRC looks far better, regardless of price, as the need for visa runs is obviated.

Thanks THIGV for the info....

I just did a VEC on the 5th of September in HCMC, I got my new passport that morning, went to the immigration office with a copy of the Red Book and Marriage license, and the form for VEC, paid 350,000VND and will have it on the 12th of September

I've had both an Exemption and TRC's...prefer the TRC.  Have had a couple 3 yr TRC's and one time stamp at immigration on my passport and copy to local police...one time.  Can exit and enter at will and even use the Vietnamese entry area when returning vice the 'foreign' lines. 
Never a hassle with the Exemption exiting or entering...but each entry, need to to give a copy to the local police.  I feel it's none of their damn business when I travel.  Immigration has my 'in's and out's...if I'm OK with them, I don't have a need to notify the locals what I have done.  Reason I have and prefer the TRC (Just my opinion).

Lam Dong Immigration Office, will only do if you live there, HCMC will do it for any where a TRC is the way to go. I have one and it's great. I had a 5 year . its not fun every 6 months and the cost is crazy to have someone stamp it. TRC is the way to go. and your wife can get it for you. but its better to go to a visa company let them do all the paperwork . just set back a wait a week are two, and you don't have to leave and come back. money will fix anything in Vietnam. it's so easy to just pay others to do all of the waiting and work.

I just have a new TRC, valid for 1 year. The Immigration Police in Nha Trang told me that They don't give for longer time. Possibly in HCMC or Hanoi for 2 or 3 years  ?

And in Nha Trang they give you only a 1-year TRC.  Even I aske the immigration police here for more and they answer me "no one city give more than 1 year".  I live 13 years in Vietnam and even sometimes they can surprise me !

tonydeclercq wrote:

And in Nha Trang they give you only a 1-year TRC.  Even I aske the immigration police here for more and they answer me "no one city give more than 1 year".  I live 13 years in Vietnam and even sometimes they can surprise me !

Well thats a blatant lie. Saigon issues 3 year TRCs and Ba Ria issues 2 year TRCs.

Thanks for information. As you can see , everything is business in Vietnam, even between different Immigration-offices there is concurrention.

Ciambella wrote:

4- You don't need to leave VN.  Your wife will be your sponsor, once TRC is issued, your Tourist Visa is no longer valid.  TRC is valid for 3 years and you don't have to leave the country.

Are you sure? It's my understanding that you ALWAYS have to leave if changing to another type of visa then re-enter. I've had first-hand experience of that being the case but not the other recently (compared to what could be paid for years ago).

snoopcat wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

4- You don't need to leave VN.  Your wife will be your sponsor, once TRC is issued, your Tourist Visa is no longer valid.  TRC is valid for 3 years and you don't have to leave the country.

Are you sure? It's my understanding that you ALWAYS have to leave if changing to another type of visa then re-enter. I've had first-hand experience of that being the case but not the other recently (compared to what could be paid for years ago).

After receiving my first TRC after marriage, I did not leave the country either.
However, I am not sure if this will be the case when I get a new TRC next year.

Could it be that in exchange for requiring trips to Cambodia and back to initiate new visas, immigration officials are receiving kickbacks from the bus companies?  It's not outside of the realm of possibility.

In Nha Trang I pay 145 USD for a TRC valid for 1 year. How much for 3 years in Saigon ?