Marriage and Visa for Living Permanently (VEC or TRC ?)

According to what I read, the price in Saigon is about the same (about USD 150 for a 3 yesr TRC) . I had paid USD 500 2 years ago through an agency. Next year I'll do it without an agency.

AkaMaverick wrote:

After receiving my first TRC after marriage, I did not leave the country either.
However, I am not sure if this will be the case when I get a new TRC next year.

If not changing the type of visa then you can stay. So a new TRC if the same type is fine, but not if you change from spousal (TT) to business ($$) :)

Anthony64 wrote:

Can exit and enter at will and even use the Vietnamese entry area when returning vice the 'foreign' lines.

Haha I never thought of that one before. Good one :)

I just noticed the law says a foreigner with a TRC can sponsor another foreigner for a visa. I can only imagine how sour the woman's face would be at the NTMK office if you came in with that :)

Anthony64 wrote:

Never a hassle with the Exemption exiting or entering...but each entry, need to to give a copy to the local police.  I feel it's none of their damn business when I travel.

Well, I assume that's only because they need your visa while registered to stay there thus they don't care when you travel but it is their business that you have a valid visa while registered there. (Until that creaky old law is changed )

But like you it annoys me that anyone else ever asks for your visa as though an arm of immigration. How many people are here without visas and caught out by that? Extremely few for all the hassle it causes. Stupid bank asked me the other month and wouldn't let me withdraw my own money without it but with a passport. Idiots. I went to the next branch and was no problem at all.

Each provence has it's own rules, up to them how they act upon the national laws.

snoopcat wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

4- You don't need to leave VN.  Your wife will be your sponsor, once TRC is issued, your Tourist Visa is no longer valid.  TRC is valid for 3 years and you don't have to leave the country.

Are you sure? It's my understanding that you ALWAYS have to leave if changing to another type of visa then re-enter. I've had first-hand experience of that being the case but not the other recently (compared to what could be paid for years ago).

Done two TRC's and never left the country.

That's not the issue. You can do 100 TRCs. The issue is changing from one type to another.

snoopcat wrote:

That's not the issue. You can do 100 TRCs. The issue is changing from one type to another.

You said you cant go from a visa to a TRC, I just told you I have done it twice. You get it now?

I'm on a DN TRC and like to have a TT TRC but at 196 ntmk they told me I need to go out and get a TT visa, if I make a VEC first can I do a TT TRC with a VEC later without doing
a border run?

dutchy2000 wrote:

I'm on a DN TRC and like to have a TT TRC but at 196 ntmk they told me I need to go out and get a TT visa, if I make a VEC first can I do a TT TRC with a VEC later without doing
a border run?

Just get the VEC, it only costs 20usd, then apply for the TRC.

150 USD for a 3-year TRC in Saigon ?
In Nha Trang 145 USD for 1 year without agency

tonydeclercq wrote:

150 USD for a 3-year TRC in Saigon ?
In Nha Trang 145 USD for 1 year without agency

Yep. I paid 140usd for a two-year TRC in Ba Ria. Immigration is not the same everywhere.

I think the price also vary depending from which visa you change to a TRC and which type of TRC (e.g. type TT for marriage) you apply.

AkaMaverick wrote:

I think the price also vary depending from which visa you change to a TRC and which type of TRC (e.g. type TT for marriage) you apply.

I know that the spousal TRC in Saigon for 3 years is 150 usd and 140 usd for two years in Ba Ria. They make up their own cost, the govt website states 145 usd for 3 years.

colinoscapee wrote:

They make up their own cost, the govt website states 145 usd for 3 years.

People have had discussions here over whether Vietnam is "third world" or "developing."  It is situations like this that support those who say "third world."  There is absolutely no valid reason that Hanoi could not rectify this situation in one day if they chose to.

Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Immigration in Ba Ria only issues a 2 year TRC for spouses, Saigon issues a 3 year....unbelievable.

Ba Ria needs money more than Saigon does and probably tries to find some of it in TRC fees.  My nephew (retired Head of Tax Department in Phu Nhuan) told me that Saigon receives 1/3 of the country's total funding while other cities get only a very small fraction each.

A quick update about this. If you use an agent, you can get 3-years in Ba Ria. If you do it yourself, its 2-years. Just goes to show, its all about officials receiving pocket money.

I have VEC. I got 6 months stamp at airport. I extended it for 6 months more at immigration office. Can I change from VEC to TRC (TT) at HCMC immigration office? Or do they require me to get TT visa first in order to get TRC (TT) ?

I went from a VEC to a TRC, I did it in Ba Ria- Vung Tau.

colinoscapee wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Immigration in Ba Ria only issues a 2 year TRC for spouses, Saigon issues a 3 year....unbelievable.

Ba Ria needs money more than Saigon does and probably tries to find some of it in TRC fees.  My nephew (retired Head of Tax Department in Phu Nhuan) told me that Saigon receives 1/3 of the country's total funding while other cities get only a very small fraction each.

A quick update about this. If you use an agent, you can get 3-years in Ba Ria. If you do it yourself, its 2-years. Just goes to show, its all about officials receiving pocket money.

Not forgetting your nationality could bump up the price 😜

I know there is no official fixed prices but turning a blind eye to agents milking foreigners just fuels the mistrust they are accused of

Jlgarbutt wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

Not forgetting your nationality could bump up the price 😜

I know there is no official fixed prices but turning a blind eye to agents milking foreigners just fuels the mistrust they are accused of

True, but in my case it was the fact that I submitted my application myself, therefore, the officals cant get any kickbacks.