Payment methods in Italy

Hello everyone,

Once you're settled in Italy, you will need to make some basic purchases, like groceries or pay bills. Hence, it is essential to know the payment methods available in your host country.

Which are the most common payment methods in Italy? Why would you prefer some forms over others?

Does the amount of money or the type of paid services (groceries, bills, rent, etc.) determine the choice of payment methods?

Are there any apps at your disposal which make the payment process easier in Italy?

Can certain foreign currencies be used to make payments?

Have your habits in terms of payment methods changed since moving to Italy?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Which are the most common payment methods in Italy? Why would you prefer some forms over others?

1st choice  IBAN based auto payment if possible (currently Internet, GSM, Electricity, Rental)
2nd SisalPay (For Gas)
3rd Tabacchi
4th Credit Card (I don't use it much in Italy, only for amazon.it, online supermarkets and delivery services 1-2 times a month)

Does the amount of money or the type of paid services (groceries, bills, rent, etc.) determine the choice of payment methods?

Sure, I pay cash for everything except bills if it is under €100. For bigger orders, I use CC to track my finance logs.

Are there any apps at your disposal which make the payment process easier in Italy?
Sisal Pay, Google Pay, N26

Can certain foreign currencies be used to make payments?
I can use USD deposited CCs but POS charges them as EUR. Non-Italian cards not working for some specific institutions.

Have your habits in terms of payment methods changed since moving to Italy?
Turkey is an online payment friendly country and banking system is about perfect, I was in trouble for payments in Italy for first months. You cannot use cash over €3000 to buy something and transferring money may take a day or 2 days via bank, there isn't any standard timing. Due to this I started to use CC instead of bank transfers for a bigger payments that I don't like.

Sorry for typos.