French man willing to work in China / Shanghai

Good morning, everyone,

I have been present on this site for a few months now and when I joined you I just started my first work in New York.

Now I've been in Sweden in Stockholm since April and I'm gradually starting to get interested in the Chinese market. Indeed, the idea of having a fixed-term professional experience on Chinese soil can be a significant advantage for my future.

Except that I have a few questions because it's not the United States or even Europe. That's why I call on you in the hope of getting your help.

First of all, a short presentation:

Young French man of 26 years old, graduated from L'ESC Clermont / French Business School in 2017 with a specialization in Business Development I did several internships in Sales during my break/gap year (L'Oreal / Peugeot) then an Apprenticeship in Digital Marketing within Michelin during my last year.

After graduating, I decided to go to the United States - a real childhood dream - and here I am for a one-year experience in NY as a Business Developer in a Swiss company.

Quite simply incredible year as you guessed it, I was lucky enough to be offered a permanent contract with a new destination, Sweden and Stockholm since last April as Sales Representative.

A radical shift in terms of life and professional rhythm, I am gradually beginning to take an interest in China and more particularly in the city of Shanghai with a May 2020 vision.

Indeed, I would like to have the chance to acquire professional experience there to develop my skills and thus be able to have experience in the American, European and Chinese Markets.

The only downside is that I don't really know what to expect in terms of salary / work rhythm / job interview / Difficulty finding a job with my profile.

So my question is this:

- Given my profile, will I have difficulty getting an opportunity / distinguish myself from the competition that must be tough?
- Salary expectation level, do you have any indications?

I have read a lot of things on this site including Tax / Housing / Health Insurance but I still have some grey areas.

If you could help me, that would be great!

Thanks again :)

If you love the USA then you would have a difficult time adjusting to China. It's really different.

I would suggest that you visit China. Spend two weeks to one month. Then leave. That alone will give you enough background to help answer the sort of questions that you are currently finding so perplexing. Now, I know this isn't what you want to hear. You want some great black and white answers and some stories and some guidance.

The thing is, it's different for everyone.

You want to move to Shanghai. Why? You'd get the exact experience in London or New York city. They are all clones of each other. Don't be under the misguided illusion that spending time in Shanghai will give you the "China experience". It won't. You'll just hangout with other expats and talk about how fortunate you all are.

To me, it sounds like you are doing really well. I would suggest that you keep and maintain that positive attitude and keep on plowing forward.

The geographical region where you go will have very little bearing on your life. It's your thoughts and attitude that will. Whether you are in Cape Town, SA or TangXia, China will not matter nearly as much as your positive attitude.

So (sorry for the lecture) from the very little that I read about you, I can see that you are a brilliant young person with great goals and abilities. At this stage what you need to do is stop using the internet to compile information from strangers, and pay some hard cash and look around with your own two eyes. You will get a much better understanding of the situation and the answers you seek than any grizzly old expat such as myself can provide.

Keep on being you. I see a great future for you no matter what I have to say.

Best regards.

I must say that is not the type of answer I was looking for but also it is, to be honest.

The thing is I'm young and I'm eager to discover a lot of things and have the opportunity to work in different geographical places such as the US, EU and China.

I'm hearing more frequently people succeeding in Shanghai than everywhere else to be fully transparent and since I'm hell-bent to reach my goal and be a successful person - This is why I'm trying to gather some information about this city and country.

The fact people are more open-minded in term of relationship (professional / network wise) is also a fact which catches my attention.
Since one of the drawbacks from the US is the bad and negative competition where you literally walk on your colleagues -  It's not the way I see the word "Business".

Thanks for your detailed and honest reply Vannrox. This is the type of answer I'm looking for.