Why do expats continue to move, live, and retire in the Philippines?

This country has so many strikes against it that no sane person should negotiate with. Let's begin.

Low quality of life and high costs. Even in Cebu now for a small studio rent is 25k for a cramped space with no internet / cable. Value for money is really in the gutter now. A lot of pensioners opt to move to the provinces to save money but you leave yourself exposed to 3rd world nonsense unless you are a smiley boomer that constantly tries to ingratiate themselves to Pinoys.

The people. Not particularly friendly and there's a huge stigma against foreigners nowadays so callous attitudes and bad service are heightened. This also extends to the many retirees being whacked on a daily basis. Most dangerous country in SEA. There is a growing animosity and I experienced it daily from shopping at the neighborhood grocery outlet to immigration officers wielding power.

The women. Unremarkable. Incompatible with westerners other than English speaking. Flaky. Unreliable. A lot of folks come here for this reason but its very bad to uproot yourself from your home country unless you are chronically lonely. I also think Korean and Chinese tourism and residence are bringing in more competition and money so westerners get scraps and prostitutes now. A lot of the quality women won't be caught dead with foreigners nowadays even if you are under 30, dress well and are respectful.

There are much better countries in the region for these things. I personally think that the superstar of the Philippines is the incredibly generous visa scheme afforded to foreign people such as the 13A or SRRV programs that make an extended stay possible for not too much money. But imo this is still not enough to deal with the bureaucratic, corrupt system in PI.

Why do you guys stay?

Because they relied on websites that told them what they wanted to hear ! Lies and more lies! You're assessment is spot on and exactly what I see here! I'm moving on to Thailand and see how it fares! Otherwise heading to Mexico where I know it's good!

Yeah, I can mostly agree with you, especially value for money, it is terrible. People also always looking for loan and never give money back. I'm already 6th year in the Philippines and continuously asking myself why I'm still here. But also, when i go in some other country to travel I really missing Philippines and cannot wait to come back. It is really difficult to answer why.

Nature is awesome here in Palawan where i living, that's why maybe, visa is easy to get and cheap and nobody asking from me to pay taxes for my online business.

P.S. you can expect people to spit on you because of that post, especially Filipinos, as you know, they cannot accept the truth.

Yup!

When I visit PaTong in Phuket, Thailand I don't miss anything about the Philippines!

Pretty well sums it up.  I already live here and as such this is home.  I love my life here but I do agree with your opening post.

As an Australian under pension age who lives here now, I am even financially better off in Australia, because if I lived there I would get medical and at some stage an old age pension.

The President is sorting (trying to) this country out, if he achieves it this country will be the next Singapore.  The laws he imposes here are coming from Singapore, and I believe that that he see's how the Philippines can be one day.  It will be great for the Filipino's but for the rest of us, we may have to pack or bags and move on.

Watch the exchange rate and the inflation rate, that will be the lever that triggers foreigners staying or leaving.  The stronger PHP gets, the better for the country and the Filipino's, for us bringing in money the worse it gets.

Bah! Humbug!
Never happen!
They've crossed the Rubicon
Great thought though!

I still have a lot of hate and rage toward that country and those people. The least I can do is warn people about them.

I certainly agree on one point that is mentioned above.  Unless you want to live out in the Province with no air con and eat rice with stinky fish every day,  it is no bargain moneywise in the Philippines.   Yes we are living in one of the more expensive areas of Manila, but excluding our lease cost, my monthly living costs are the same in the Philippines as in my home which is near Vancouver, BC .

Nielsen Flute wrote:

I still have a lot of hate and rage toward that country and those people. The least I can do is warn people about them.

Do not hate them, they do not know for better + they are brainwashed by church and government. You know that historical quote when the cardinal said to the king: " if you keep them poor, I will keep them ignorant" - it is same today. Philippines is perfect example.

I really pity the frustrated people of this forum who once in while open a thread and rant against their host country  :D

Hey Nielsen Flute, are you a paid troll of a Vietnamese travel agency ? It seems that Vietnamese travel agencies are using this kind of tactics on expat and travel forum to attract clients  :lol:

Why are you staying in the Philippines if you hate it ? Are you masochist ?

Aha The French still blaming the Vietnamese!
LOL!!!!
Philippines is a third world country! If you are looking for something else you are in the wrong place!
eduardo001 is spot on as to why Philippines is not the Super Power it could be in SE Asia!
But attitudes are shifting to the dark side here!
Not a good retirement haven any longer!

Aha Lasvegan, if the PH is not the superpower of the region ? Look into the colonization of the PH by the U.S and you will have a big part of the answer...😉

does anyone have some examples i everyday life how attitude has been changed like someone named here

Touche"
I am very aware of the history of PHP since Magellan began the scourge! Americans have a lot of blame for what we've done! No doubt about it! But we have made headway in PHP becoming a democracy! We do stand behind our treaty to protect the Philippines! Philippines is located in perfect position to control access to the South China Sea as well as support Malaysia in controlling the western approaches! The oil reserves in the area are some of the largest on earth! During the Vietnam Conflict we used more tonnage of concrete to cap natural gas wells then we did of bombs dropped on the north! What Phil's lacks is infrastructure that would make this economy explode! Only corruption holds it back!  etc......etc

Nielsen Flute wrote:

This country has so many strikes against it that no sane person should negotiate with. Let's begin.

Low quality of life and high costs. Even in Cebu now for a small studio rent is 25k for a cramped space with no internet / cable. Value for money is really in the gutter now. A lot of pensioners opt to move to the provinces to save money but you leave yourself exposed to 3rd world nonsense unless you are a smiley boomer that constantly tries to ingratiate themselves to Pinoys.

The people. Not particularly friendly and there's a huge stigma against foreigners nowadays so callous attitudes and bad service are heightened. This also extends to the many retirees being whacked on a daily basis. Most dangerous country in SEA. There is a growing animosity and I experienced it daily from shopping at the neighborhood grocery outlet to immigration officers wielding power.

The women. Unremarkable. Incompatible with westerners other than English speaking. Flaky. Unreliable. A lot of folks come here for this reason but its very bad to uproot yourself from your home country unless you are chronically lonely. I also think Korean and Chinese tourism and residence are bringing in more competition and money so westerners get scraps and prostitutes now. A lot of the quality women won't be caught dead with foreigners nowadays even if you are under 30, dress well and are respectful.

There are much better countries in the region for these things. I personally think that the superstar of the Philippines is the incredibly generous visa scheme afforded to foreign people such as the 13A or SRRV programs that make an extended stay possible for not too much money. But imo this is still not enough to deal with the bureaucratic, corrupt system in PI.

Why do you guys stay?

Hello Neilson, You make some good points in your post and i respect your opinion.  On the other side of the coin for me it is completely different. I have been living here in Cagayan de Oro  for 4 years now and having the time of my life . I live a comfortable, enjoyable life  on 1,100 US dollars per month(about 55,000 php's) and have a respectable savings account.  I am 66 yrs. old and fortunately in good health. I have a great social life and have met and dated many wonderful Filipinas. I have dated Nurses, teachers and mall workers and taking them on a date  to a cinema and dinner after is much appreciated. They are a heck of a lot less demanding then  women in the States i have encountered.  I choose not to get into a serious relationship  here by choice. I live in a comfy furnished condo for 15,000 per month in the city across the street from a major mall.Utilities run me about 4,000 per month .  Food about 10,000 per month.Those are my biggest expenses and the rest i use for  entertainment. I understand i am just a visitor and always respect the fact that this is not my country. I love my country but don't miss it. I consider each day i wake a blessing compared to how i see so many Filipinos struggle to survive daily on such paltry wages and still manage to raise a family.  I am always friendly and have never encountered an unfriendly Filipino. I consider the Dollar to the Peso strong around 50.98 to 1.  Better to own Dollars over Pesos.  I lived in Mexico for 6 years and left only because of the drug wars and kidnappings and find the Philippines a heck of a lot safer in my eyes.  Lastly, i could not live in Los Angeles Ca. on 1,100 dollars per month. I would be living in a cardboard house on the sidewalk in Skid Row . So i hope i answered your question " why do expats live in the Philippines"

lasvegan wrote:

Touche"
I am very aware of the history of PHP since Magellan began the scourge! Americans have a lot of blame for what we've done! No doubt about it! But we have made headway in PHP becoming a democracy! We do stand behind our treaty to protect the Philippines! Philippines is located in perfect position to control access to the South China Sea as well as support Malaysia in controlling the western approaches! The oil reserves in the area are some of the largest on earth! During the Vietnam Conflict we used more tonnage of concrete to cap natural gas wells then we did of bombs dropped on the north! What Phil's lacks is infrastructure that would make this economy explode! Only corruption holds it back!  etc......etc

Hello Lasvegan, I read where you are aware of the history of the Philippines in regards to Americans having a lot of blame as to what happened here. What our forefathers did 100 years ago trying to free the Filipinos  from Spanish rule by sinking  the Spanish fleet in Manila Bay was correct. Trying to colonize the Filipinos was wrong. . What brave American and Filipinos  soldiers did in WWll to free the Philippines from brutal Japanese control after Japanese soldiers slaughtered about 1 million Filipinos will never be forgotten. You might want  to  visit the American  Military Cemetery in Manila and pay your respects to  the 17,000 + brave young American soldiers who died fighting for Philippine freedom.

My father is one of them! I'm sure you tickled his funny bone with your comments! I had the privilege of living in National City, CA with 200,000 Filipino's! Many of us met at Manila Sunset once a month and always said a prayer for those brave souls resting there! Thanks for reminding me they're still there!

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Flaming/disrespectful
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Nielsen Flute wrote:

Hate and rage? Wow.

Dude, you need to let go of whatever your personal issue is, instead of bad-mouthing an entire country and all the people because your experience didn't meet your expectations. You continually come on here and disparage the country and the people. That doesn't help anyone. You're upset because it's not the bargain it once was? Or some girls didn't like you? Well what did you do to try and make it a better place? You have taken it personally. It's time to let go and move on.

The Philippines is a developing country and the people have a very hard life. They have little money for the most part, and the future is always uncertain, so they live in the moment, don't plan well, focus on family and kids, getting together, etc. There is also sometimes a sense of fatalism, due to the heavy religious influence. For many people there is a sense of desperation, and sadly many foreigners have taken advantage of that, so perhaps you have in fact encountered some anti-foreigner sentiment. It's certainly possible. But all your disparaging rhetoric doesn't help anyone.

I have certainly complained on here multiple times about some of the issues I see, especially the root factors like overpopulation, and the resulting issues with infrastructure, overcrowding, lack of jobs, pollution and trash on the streets..  but I have no issues with the people.  Despite their difficulties, I have never felt threatened by anyone here and they are always polite and friendly to me because I respect them as individuals. I look everyone in the eye and give them a smile and a hello. Have you tried that?

Yes, there are some who are trouble makers, as there are anywhere. Yes, there are girls who are not genuine. Or scammers. What would you expect, given the circumstances? We must always be vigilant.  But most of the people are just doing the best they can. Life is hard and short here, unless you are educated and can get one of the few decent jobs, and afford healthcare. I have seen kids die here after falling out of a tree, and family members dying of cancer because they didn't ever have a checkup. It should make you sad, not angry.

There are many things we can do here to help them and make it a better place.

Very well said! Great post! I for one hear you loud and clear! The problem is we generally jump on here when were upset! Be nice if we just posted when we are clear minded and not under stress!

The topic "Why do expats continue to move, live, and retire in the Philippines?"  which Nielsen Flute, posted I see as being a relevant post. 

Not that I agree with it 100% with his opening post, but that is his thought.  He has posted the negative's perhaps people may consider posting positive responses to the question of the post.  "So why do expats continue to move, live and retire in the Philippines?"

Remember that this site is used by people who live in the Philippines and probably more so by people considering moving to the Philippines.  It is not a site for the Filipino's but for expatriates or people who may one day become and expat.

It is a site that when used by people that are considering moving to the Philippines they want the positive, the negative and the neutral views.

My 2 cents worth

Cheers

Well each time Mr Flute reacts on this forum it is ultra negative and generally promotes Vietnam instead (not in this thread though...).

So why not buy a ticket and fly somewhere else, Vietnam for example, the most wonderful communist country on the planet :-)

Being critical is one thing, but disparaging a whole country and its people is a different thing

I didn't object to his original post, in fact I agree with some of his points about financials. But when he later brought up his  "hate and rage" for the people of this country, it just confirmed to me that he has some sort of a personal issue underlying his opinions, as evidenced by his previous posts.

Nielsen Flute wrote:

Overrated ****hole country.

Oh, and despite the increasingly common use of this sort of language in public forums, I personally find that comment degrading and offensive.

I think we are all entitled to our opinions as long as we keep them respectful and civilized.

I just don't understand all the negative stuff here, you are not in your country, if you don't like it, leave.  It's that simple!!!

Nielsen Flute wrote:

Haterz gonna hate.. Seems to me I recall you spewing the same discontent about a month or so ago.
Though I don't recall the forum, the name and content was exactly the same.

Tim_L wrote:
Nielsen Flute wrote:

Haterz gonna hate.. Seems to me I recall you spewing the same discontent about a month or so ago.
Though I don't recall the forum, the name and content was exactly the same.

Yep Tim I agree, I know the negative posts from the OP as do most readers here and if we go back some time the OP should have been seriously embarrassed by some of the Naive posts in the Vietnam forum. Some members have short memories.
Regardless the OP is entitled to express his opinion again and again like a parrot. There is some serious hurt with this poster who obviously can't move on, yes to another country now but the serious bitterness towards PH. is very sad, in a short time I would say Vietnam will be on the outer too.

What is interesting from the OP now is dragging expats into the destruction of Manila and Cebu with regards to economics, Nelson you also contributed to this hypothetical then? No perhaps they wouldn't touch your money as they saw bad karma and a grumpy negative westerner hence treating you like a piece of "go back to your own country". Foreigners make up one half of a percent,,,,,, .5%, you think we influence the economy of a country with 105 million souls?

Perhaps one day if and when you find happiness Nelson, I did say if; then you may have something positive to share on expat sites, in the mean time I and am sure others wish you would pull your head in and perhaps focus on the new country that is now relevant to you.

Move on sunshine or do you have nothing better to do? Get a life. OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Nielsen Flute wrote:

Overrated *** country.

Quoting Donald Trump shows your level of intellectual ability.

Can't help myself, lol.
Onto brighter things with regards to the OP's opening. Many have found love, security and a relatively inexpensive place to live in this apparently "sh*thole" of a country. Many would beg to differ including myself. Home and family is where you find/make it, here I am accepted with open arms by family and always a smile and willingness to help from those I don't know. Arrogance begets arrogance and humility no matter the country is always well received and help gladly provided, no matter the country.
Family and family friends. Filipinos in general have high moral and social interaction  standards, compassion and tolerance compared to "I generalise" western and other countries I have spent time in including my own Australia where it is dog eat dog and family values are not a patch on the country I elected to retire to. The language barrier can be a challenge at times with older less educated locals but I am doing my best to learn and communicate as they do with me, very comfortable here with my partner of 7 or 8 years and will see my dying days living here.

Some points.
PH. is in the centre of my universe for travel to chosen destinations/holidays and is far cheaper than from the Sunshine Coast in Oz to do so.
The cost of living here is by a long shot cheaper than Oz; some examples. My council (barangay) rates in Oz are some AU $2,800.00 per annum, here a 2,500M2 absolute beachfront lot and house is 1,200.00 pesos or less than 40 bucks Aussie. (same services)
A bottle of Vodka here is AU 3 bucks, in Oz 35 bucks. A carton of cigarettes here is AU $22 bucks, In Oz $230 bucks, rego for a car in Oz 4 cylinder $800 bucks, here like 50 bucks and the list can go on while yes there are items like purchasing cars, white goods and electronics that are on par with Australian costs the general day to day living and bills are far cheaper and the white guy coming here gets the same price for internet, phones or Jeepny ride no different to the locals.

Nelson, I also have a b*tch from time to time like others especially with regards to inefficiencies running business/government here and how it can be improved, the endless paperwork/triplicates and checking smacks of corruption and little trust with those employed, sad yes but I deal with it as all here do. One thing I will never do is condemn a people as you have done, not all eggs belong in the same basket and I know from my travels to chosen countries that I am a guest and it is not my right to criticise a people because of a system nor doctrines well accepted by them the people within that country. Many countries I have visited I will never return to Vietnam included, the USA more so, Crete and Sicily also, I never sprouted rubbish on an expat site about the long or short comings of those countries I will not visit again, moving onto new experiences as we should.

Honestly Nelson it seriously sounds like you had a hard time here in PH. but one wonders if you brought that on yourself failing to see the forest for the trees, simply look at the beauty and don't be bitter if you only saw an unending ocean.
BTW only my lowly observation of things bitter and sweet.

Cheers, Steve.

It'd be nice to see some demographics / age / which city you're living in.

My suspicion is that only guys ages 40++ who live outside major metro areas with their families and limited exposure to expats have the positive experiences and nice things to say.

If you are under 30 and live in Makati/  BGC / Quezon / AC / Cebu you'd be singing a very different tune bc pinoise are threatened by carpetbaggers even if they mean well.

bigpearl wrote:

Can't help myself, lol.

Some points.
PH. is in the centre of my universe for travel to chosen destinations/holidays and is far cheaper than from the Sunshine Coast in Oz to do so.
The cost of living here is by a long shot cheaper than Oz; some examples. My council (barangay) rates in Oz are some AU $2,800.00 per annum, here a 2,500M2 absolute beachfront lot and house is 1,200.00 pesos or less than 40 bucks Aussie. (same services)
A bottle of Vodka here is AU 3 bucks, in Oz 35 bucks. A carton of cigarettes here is AU $22 bucks, In Oz $230 bucks, rego for a car in Oz 4 cylinder $800 bucks, here like 50 bucks and the list can go on while yes there are items like purchasing cars, white goods and electronics that are on par with Australian costs the general day to day living and bills are far cheaper and the white guy coming here gets the same price for internet, phones or Jeepny ride no different to the locals.

Cheers, Steve.

Nice post Steve,

though I can not believe that for your rates that you get the same service as the Sunshine Coast in Aust.  "My council (barangay) rates in Oz are some AU $2,800.00 per annum, here a 2,500M2 absolute beachfront lot and house is 1,200.00 pesos or less than 40 bucks Aussie. (same services)" 

I have being to the Sunshine Cost, and live in the Philippines.  I don't see any where close to the same services, ok I have only lived in Davao and Gen San, but have traveled a bit around this country!!   In the Philippines, there are no rubbish bins on the streets, extremely poor public library's, no public toilets, no animal welfare services, I was only speaking to a youth representative of the local barangay 2 days ago and she told me how they only have one basket ball, not one other piece of sporting equipment, the foot paths and roads are poor, in may places you are lucky to get a paved foot path, if it is it is poorly maintained, there are poor and few parks and public sporting fields, then there a the none visible services, care for the elderly, etc etc.

Is the Sunshine Coast really the same?  It must have slipped a lot since I was last there.   Or are you exaggerating just  a tiny, tiny, little bit?  Me thinks so.

Well pej I understand your scepticism, believe it or no. Our house on the sunny coast is on nearly 50 acres bordering 3 councils, Gympie, Maroochydore and Noosa. (beautiful place to live with fantastic views and very very quiet but getting to be too much work). We live on a dirt road same as here in Bacnotan. Same distance of dirt too, some 600 metres, coincidence I suppose. I and the neighbours have to beg the council in Oz to run the grader over it every 18 months to 2 years, no foot paths, same as here, a weekly rubbish collection no different to here. Services? We are not catered for unless we travel 30 to 40 minutes depending on what one is looking for.
My house in Oz, 35 minutes drive to a decent hospital,,,,,, 30 mins here so same same. Choice of doctor and local supermarket, hardware, public school etc is 20 minutes, here it's 5 to 8 minutes depending on traffic.
There is a small library in our local town (Oz) 20 minutes away but for more serious reading 35 minutes that I haven't used for 20 odd years. Libraries here I have no Idea because as I say to other astute readers "that's what God made google for".
No sewerage or water connections same as here, NBN internet wireless same as here though Globe at home is not a patch on what we have there but hey that's nothing to do with council services. Our local council in Oz has as much red tape as they do here but unlike Oz we can usually get things done and sorted with the local barangay captain.

pej, as said in other posts I do like a quiet uncomplicated life hence living now where we do but my figures are correct relative to our scenario.
Only drawback here is 5 to 6 hours drive to an international airport, yes Clark is closer but airfares are way more expensive from previous research and the difference in cost gives us a couple of nights in Manila to catch up with family and friends, a wiser spend. Oz domestic 45 minutes, international 95 minutes (Brisbane). So that's a downer but liveable.
We don't have bars on the windows nor do most of our neighbours here, same as Oz in fact we only have one fence on the southern boundary, half a fence and gates on the eastern road side, a vacant block with no fence on the northern side and nothing on the beach side. Crime or lack of is the same as in our house in Oz. Anyway from my perspective I am in the same boat with regards to services and saving a few bob.

Come on up if you want a quiet life.

Cheers, Steve.

I stand corrected according to my husband, our local rates were PHP, 1,345.00 and garbage collection PHP. 240.00 so AU 44 bucks, my bad.

Cheers, Steve.

Nielsen Flute wrote:

It'd be nice to see some demographics / age / which city you're living in.

My suspicion is that only guys ages 40++ who live outside major metro areas with their families and limited exposure to expats have the positive experiences and nice things to say.

If you are under 30 and live in Makati/  BGC / Quezon / AC / Cebu you'd be singing a very different tune bc pinoise are threatened by carpetbaggers even if they mean well.

Nielson, as said to members here google is your best friend especially for demographics and other important and relevant information that may back up your claims and negativity. If you honestly want to push you rhetoric forward back it up with some facts and not a slapped boy approach, sorry to be harsh but after all your negative posts trying to warn the "gullible" with here say?
Ben and I did live in Manila for 12 months and though not happy with the pollution and traffic made a go of it and made some great friends and whilst living there, traversing before and after never felt/saw the negativities nor persecutions that you continually throw up on this forum. Perhaps you are just trawling for a moderator friend to pick up numbers? Most likely burnt and now bitter. Only an observation from your posts over the last 12 month or so and relative to me, I am now 60, my partner is 28, we are gay and would be very good candidates for the diatribe you sprout. To date welcomed with open arms as we welcome all others. Manila? Australia? Italy? Germany? Thailand? (we did get a few looks in the good old USA) So many countries and peoples we have met and nary a problem.

A few things come to mind,,,,,,,, small man syndrome? Inferiority complex or simply a bee in ones bonnet? As said earlier if you don't have anything decent to say,,,,,, move on.

Oh and carpetbaggers? Thats a new one, doubt if Filipinos nor anyone else gives credence unless you are giving away gold or opening the gates to heaven, that may work for fools but Filipinos are not stupid as I am sure you well know and have learnt.

Onto positive things, how is Vietnam? Fill us in on the positives.

Cheers, Steve.

Gday mate... Dont judge the entire country using Cebu as a bench mark. Life is good here in Valencia, Negros Oriental... and i got a great girl to boot...

Do you make valid points? From you point of view I'm sure you believe so, though I'm not much for making excuses for the kind of negativity you fee the need to share here. If you fail to get it out of your system (rants won't do it), you'll simply carry the misery with you to your next stop on the planet.

Great, you don't like the RP, then obviously it's time to go.  Maybe you find a place that turns your frown upside down. Hope you do.

Myself, I truly enjoy my life here with my wife of 11 years now. We built a home in a
peaceful spot just off the beaten path. We don't have barking dogs, crowing roosters and karaoke torture.  We have good neighbors in our area and are friends with many and the barangay captains, councilors, etc. We know good people at the local PNP office and have received help from many for various reasons with no requests for money. 

My wife's family are hard working alcohol and drug free people who all have jobs and ask us for nothing. We voluntarily help my wife's older sister monthly, though she did not ask for it.

Our bills here are CONSIDERABLY less than we paid in the U.S. and we chose the area we live in carefully.  NO flooding, not on a fault line. very dependable power, water and internet.  We have little trouble finding what we need at the local grocery and market. If something is out of stock, so what, do without or buy something else.

Getting things done here can be tedious and unnecessarily time consuming, but as I tell my wife. I'm retired so why complain (sometimes I still do).

Is it all roses, hell no, though I've yet to find a place that is.  We live within our means and count our blessings daily and we have many to count.

P.S. There are low life's, druggies, drunks, liars, cheats, thieves and all around scumbags wherever you pitch your tent.  With eyes wide open at all times, we've done a fair job of steering clear of them all 

We like it, and would leave if we didn't.

Hi TeeJee4103
It is awesome that you have fared so well! I think that expats here would benefit from your words and methods!! You would help so much if you would do a Blog on living good in the Phil's! I would read every word! I myself was totally scammed from the beginning! I mean things like, "Hon, please send me $1000 immediately, my grandson is in emergency surgery! Please!" LOL! No scars when i finally got here! LOL!! I've of coursed learned not to be such a victim! But other's would benefit from some good advise on a regular basis! Think about it!

bigpearl wrote:

I stand corrected according to my husband, our local rates were PHP, 1,345.00 and garbage collection PHP. 240.00 so AU 44 bucks, my bad.

Cheers, Steve.

Just noticed your rates here in the Philippines, is that Per month or per year?

Below is the allowable rates that may be set in the Philippines:

Maximum assessment level rates for Residential property   

Property value                                         Rate          Amount payable PA
PHP 0    PHP 175,000                                   0%       
PHP 175,000    PHP 300,000                          10%        PHP 300
PHP 300,000    PHP 500,000                           20%        PHP 1,000
PHP 500,000    PHP 750,000                           25%        PHP 1,875
PHP 750,000    PHP 1,000,000                   30%        PHP 3,000
    PHP 1,000,000    PHP 2,000,000    35%        PHP 7,000
PHP 2,000,000    PHP 5,000,000          40%        PHP 20,000
PHP 5,000,000    PHP 10,000,000          50%        PHP 50,000

Source:  https://www.myproperty.ph/journal/2019/ … -property/

Just noticed your rates here in the Philippines, is that Per month or per year?

Below is the allowable rates that may be set in the Philippines:

Maximum assessment level rates for Residential property   

Property value                                         Rate          Amount payable PA
PHP 0    PHP 175,000                                   0%       
PHP 175,000    PHP 300,000                          10%        PHP 300
PHP 300,000    PHP 500,000                           20%        PHP 1,000
PHP 500,000    PHP 750,000                           25%        PHP 1,875
PHP 750,000    PHP 1,000,000                   30%        PHP 3,000
    PHP 1,000,000    PHP 2,000,000    35%        PHP 7,000
PHP 2,000,000    PHP 5,000,000          40%        PHP 20,000
PHP 5,000,000    PHP 10,000,000          50%        PHP 50,000

Source:  [link under review

You just noticed or have you been stewing on this for days?

Oh you doubting Thomas, what reason would I have to Lie? As said per annum and even if it was a hundred bucks a year is certainly well short of AU $ 2,800.00 per annum. for a 50 acre lot with house in Oz and should I mention one of our investment properties in high rise that attracts more than 3K in rates and 8K in body corp fees, yes it's on the market back in Oz.
Would you like me to send you a copy our council rates from here in Bacnotan to you in PM? So you can choke it would appear? It certainly seems that given our PHP 1345.00 rates our property is only worth only PHP 600K according to your supplied info. LMAO. The vacant block next door is on the market for PHP 13M and as said vacant. We have a 3 bed 2 bath house on the beach, a detached studio some 40M2 on a seperate bill (still part of the PHP 1,345.00; the studio component, my son it is 24 pesos per annum) You obviously picked the wrong property, location. Research sunshine. Don't b*tch at me and definitely don't insinuate I am telling porky pies as you would have others think, I fail to see your scepticism with regards to our situation and costs even the garbage collection at 20 pesos a month is difficult for foreigners pay,,,,,,,,,, groan.

You see my posts mate and always transparent. Disappointed and then some. I had respect for your posts and opinions but now wonder, never call me or insinuate I am a liar. Bad call that last post pej.

Cheers, Steve.

BTW we have slid away mischievously from the original post, my bad also.

Cheers, Steve.

Closed