Moving to Malta with a disability

Hello everyone,

Having a disability should not be a barrier to living abroad. While the intricacies of one's move to Malta may be specific to the individual, certain steps can be undertaken to make the process smoother.

What are the important aspects you would personally keep in mind during the planning phase (social security benefits, ongoing medical treatment, etc.)?

Are you required to go through a medical check-up before your move?

Are there any organisations or groups who lend support to expatriates who have a disability?

What are your thoughts on the infrastructure in Malta (public spaces, transportation and buildings)?

Are there enough opportunities to make the most of your social life in Malta? Are leisure activities made accessible to people with disabilities? 

Please do share your experience with us.

Bhavna

If you need to use a wheelchair I would forget Malta and Gozo as the pavements are very narrow and uneven, also most places are hilly.

The Maltese islands in general are behind the UK in disability access, although they are improving.  I would advise using a heavy duty mobility scooter as you will have to drive in the roads and will need the motor/s for the hills - if you have to use a wheelchair buy an electric one.  These can be imported without paying extra tax as they are for disabled use.  Toilets in restaurants etc - you will have to check 1st as many are not accessible.  Also try to buy a property that is on the ground floor or has a lift from the garage to the apartment.  A garage is essential here as there are many cars and not many parking spaces, make sure you buy one with electricity to charge your scooter and water to clean it.  Driving - there are a few blue badge parking spaces but often people park in them - you can use your UK blue badge in the EU.  If you are resident here you can apply for a blue badge.  Benefits - people from the UK do not receive any benefits - you can arrange to have your UK pension paid into your Maltese bank account.  You can also have medical treatment in Malta by contacting the DWP completing a form which you take to the Maltese authority to enable you to have treatment at the clinics and hospital but you will then have to pay for any treatment under the NHS in the UK.  You will also need an ID card and to register with the Maltese Tax.  Socially it makes no difference if you are disabled or not - there are various clubs here with disabled members who go on the outings/lunches/visits etc.  Good luck.

The catholic church here in Malta is doing a great job for the disabled. However, this does not mean that foreigners can profit from this system. If somebody is disabled and wants to move to another country Germany is the destination. At least as long as Angela Merkel is ruling this country more is done for  asylumseekers and migrants than for the local indegenous people.

Just don't bother  . . . .

Sounds harsh and NO it shouldn't be the case, but this is MALTA and it is.
It's just NOT worth it. Don't bother even thinking about it.
I can't speak for Gozo but I have friends there and I can't imagine it as being much different, possibly a tad worse as they are some years behind Malta.
So my advice would be:  Go look around and invest and spend your money elsewhere on the planet.  Irrespective of disability issues, this island is way too small and way too over populated and we do not have the infrastructure in place to support it.  Collapse at some point is inevitable as we are literally running out of space - and still the people come.

I've lived here on Malta for over 35 years so it is my home and I became significantly disabled about 10 year's ago and I have progressive life-limiting disabilities.
Even prior to that Malta was still not an island accessible to persons with even the most minor of mobility issues.
Now it's a living hell hole and very hard to access not just the terra-firma but all the relevant services, which by the way are not publicized, that a disabled person needs to have open access to.   There are some specific services for the disabled but you have to be somewhat of a forensic detective to find them hidden behind complex Maltese law.  Something which I have managed to do, - but it's taken literally years and became like a full time job.  You need full set-up office equipment and a spare room just for the paperwork. If you don't have a PC or access to the internet, don't even try.
However, if like me - and have a "like a dog with a bone" attitude, that'll come in to it's own.  For me, it's been a real struggle with lots of up's and downs, but like I said, I'm a determined person,
Living with a disability in Malta in 2019 - It's not for the faint hearted and there is still so much to be done in this field.

If I'm honest, mainly from a health and disability front, Yes I'd prefer to return to the UK, attitudes are way better and we have some of the best health professionals in the world, we feel safe.  But as a single older and now retired person I simply can't afford to.  Plus being here so long, I'm kind of settled, have a home, have pet's, have good friends and support within my local community.    In the UK I have no living family, just memories.

The first thing to understand and accept (at least for now), as a person with a disability is that despite Malta being in the EU, it is not yet up to the challenge of understanding nor dispensing an abundance of equal opportunities across it's dry and barren land - whether this be in employment, housing, social activities or anything you can think of really.  Although noises can be quietly heard in the corridors of power, in reality, Malta is yet to really understand the true issues of disability and the term "social inclusion".  I don't want to be defined by my disability, I just want to live my life as physically comfortably as possible, join in with my local community, with the same rights and responsibilities as everyone else.

Being disabled in Malta requires a lot of forms and paperwork.
As for anything involving an application (which is everything) - expect response  delay's beyond your wildest imagination, and then IF you do get the courtesy of a reply, read and try to understand them in Maltese, as you can be guaranteed they won't be written in your language, even British.

Have some money, cash of course, set by as you'll be needing this for numerous visits to see the doctor, the notary, an interpreter  and so on, to get an "official signature" for each and every form you have to complete - even if there are several for the same thing but just  a couple of weeks apart.  Oh and don't forget the extra passport style photograph's that will also have to be signed and paid for by the same Doctor, Notary et al.
Expect to pay for each and every piece of paper you ever submit, even though you may have had not had any changes to your condition or disability.  It's just another money making scam but you have to learn to play the game . . .

Be aware too regarding medication, they type of and the cost of.
Dependent on your condition or disability you may not be able to actually get the same medication available here in Malta, and it also may not be prescribed free of charge.  Medicines are very expensive here in Malta.
And don't get me started as to "The Pharmacy of your choice Scheme"
Same goes for Hospital charges, Opticians, Dentists & Podiatry.

At this point if you are from the UK, you will quickly realize just how lucky we are, or were, to have the ever dependable, from cradle to grave NHS.

Everything here is just made so difficult, in the hope - I believe, that you will either simply give up and do without - or you will return to your own country of origin.

It's totally frustrating with what passes as the services for persons with a disability as they are totally dis-jointed and not geared up for persons with any kind of disability and most certainly not manned by any staff with a coherent appreciation or experience for what a disability really is and how it impacts on ones life.

Frankly speaking, in the main, they, the staff tasked with the care of persons with a medical or disability issue really don't give a shit if the truth be told.
We are viewed as 3rd class citizens and a nuisance and a burden on the state - despite paying taxes and having health insurance.
You can complain to the highest authorities - but unless you're related to them or you promise to vote for them in he next election, forget it - your complaint will never be dealt with or come to light.

And don't expect anyone to give up a seat on a bus for you . . . .  This is the island of "no eye contact" - don't be fooled by the wearing of sunglasses - they have multiple purposes.
Neither should you have the audacity to cautiously make your way across a zebra crossing, when it is clear for you to do so, Oh no - be it with a cane, a wheelchair, a carer, or a support dog suited specifically for your particular disability - the motorist will stop for NOTHING !  except occasionally  perhaps should they just happen across the odd  "Zebra" or two, wandering the highways and byways of Birkikara or Burmarrad, that they thought the very crossing was made and intended for  for in the first place.  No, I couldn't find that page in the Highway Code either, funny that . . . .

Still not convinced, then come my (brave) friend/s, and take your chances and don't say you haven't been warned . . . . . . and finally,
- have a plan  and also have a plan B
- learn some basic Maltese, it's not the easiest, but so worth while as it
  will increase your confidence and you'll be taken more seriously 
- keep yourself aware of national issues and who's who . . .
- read the daily papers (in English)  & watch Maltese News on TV
- always e-mail to a named person, preferably the Top Dog
- keep triplicate copies of application forms and forms signed by others
- make friends with your local Councillors
- never assume anything that appears logical or obvious
- BE PERSISTENT  and ALWAYS KEEP A SENSE OF HUMOUR.

Good Luck !!

Zanadoo18 wrote:

Just don't bother  . . . .

Sounds harsh and NO it shouldn't be the case, but this is MALTA and it is.
It's just NOT worth it. Don't bother even thinking about it.
I can't speak for Gozo but I have friends there and I can't imagine it as being much different, possibly a tad worse as they are some years behind Malta.
So my advice would be:  Go look around and invest and spend your money elsewhere on the planet.  Irrespective of disability issues, this island is way too small and way too over populated and we do not have the infrastructure in place to support it.  Collapse at some point is inevitable as we are literally running out of space - and still the people come.

I've lived here on Malta for over 35 years so it is my home and I became significantly disabled about 10 year's ago and I have progressive life-limiting disabilities.
Even prior to that Malta was still not an island accessible to persons with even the most minor of mobility issues.
Now it's a living hell hole and very hard to access not just the terra-firma but all the relevant services, which by the way are not publicized, that a disabled person needs to have open access to.   There are some specific services for the disabled but you have to be somewhat of a forensic detective to find them hidden behind complex Maltese law.  Something which I have managed to do, - but it's taken literally years and became like a full time job.  You need full set-up office equipment and a spare room just for the paperwork. If you don't have a PC or access to the internet, don't even try.
However, if like me - and have a "like a dog with a bone" attitude, that'll come in to it's own.  For me, it's been a real struggle with lots of up's and downs, but like I said, I'm a determined person,
Living with a disability in Malta in 2019 - It's not for the faint hearted and there is still so much to be done in this field.

If I'm honest, mainly from a health and disability front, Yes I'd prefer to return to the UK, attitudes are way better and we have some of the best health professionals in the world, we feel safe.  But as a single older and now retired person I simply can't afford to.  Plus being here so long, I'm kind of settled, have a home, have pet's, have good friends and support within my local community.    In the UK I have no living family, just memories.

The first thing to understand and accept (at least for now), as a person with a disability is that despite Malta being in the EU, it is not yet up to the challenge of understanding nor dispensing an abundance of equal opportunities across it's dry and barren land - whether this be in employment, housing, social activities or anything you can think of really.  Although noises can be quietly heard in the corridors of power, in reality, Malta is yet to really understand the true issues of disability and the term "social inclusion".  I don't want to be defined by my disability, I just want to live my life as physically comfortably as possible, join in with my local community, with the same rights and responsibilities as everyone else.

Being disabled in Malta requires a lot of forms and paperwork.
As for anything involving an application (which is everything) - expect response  delay's beyond your wildest imagination, and then IF you do get the courtesy of a reply, read and try to understand them in Maltese, as you can be guaranteed they won't be written in your language, even British.

Have some money, cash of course, set by as you'll be needing this for numerous visits to see the doctor, the notary, an interpreter  and so on, to get an "official signature" for each and every form you have to complete - even if there are several for the same thing but just  a couple of weeks apart.  Oh and don't forget the extra passport style photograph's that will also have to be signed and paid for by the same Doctor, Notary et al.
Expect to pay for each and every piece of paper you ever submit, even though you may have had not had any changes to your condition or disability.  It's just another money making scam but you have to learn to play the game . . .

Be aware too regarding medication, they type of and the cost of.
Dependent on your condition or disability you may not be able to actually get the same medication available here in Malta, and it also may not be prescribed free of charge.  Medicines are very expensive here in Malta.
And don't get me started as to "The Pharmacy of your choice Scheme"
Same goes for Hospital charges, Opticians, Dentists & Podiatry.

At this point if you are from the UK, you will quickly realize just how lucky we are, or were, to have the ever dependable, from cradle to grave NHS.

Everything here is just made so difficult, in the hope - I believe, that you will either simply give up and do without - or you will return to your own country of origin.

It's totally frustrating with what passes as the services for persons with a disability as they are totally dis-jointed and not geared up for persons with any kind of disability and most certainly not manned by any staff with a coherent appreciation or experience for what a disability really is and how it impacts on ones life.

Frankly speaking, in the main, they, the staff tasked with the care of persons with a medical or disability issue really don't give a shit if the truth be told.
We are viewed as 3rd class citizens and a nuisance and a burden on the state - despite paying taxes and having health insurance.
You can complain to the highest authorities - but unless you're related to them or you promise to vote for them in he next election, forget it - your complaint will never be dealt with or come to light.

And don't expect anyone to give up a seat on a bus for you . . . .  This is the island of "no eye contact" - don't be fooled by the wearing of sunglasses - they have multiple purposes.
Neither should you have the audacity to cautiously make your way across a zebra crossing, when it is clear for you to do so, Oh no - be it with a cane, a wheelchair, a carer, or a support dog suited specifically for your particular disability - the motorist will stop for NOTHING !  except occasionally  perhaps should they just happen across the odd  "Zebra" or two, wandering the highways and byways of Birkikara or Burmarrad, that they thought the very crossing was made and intended for  for in the first place.  No, I couldn't find that page in the Highway Code either, funny that . . . .

Still not convinced, then come my (brave) friend/s, and take your chances and don't say you haven't been warned . . . . . . and finally,
- have a plan  and also have a plan B
- learn some basic Maltese, it's not the easiest, but so worth while as it
  will increase your confidence and you'll be taken more seriously 
- keep yourself aware of national issues and who's who . . .
- read the daily papers (in English)  & watch Maltese News on TV
- always e-mail to a named person, preferably the Top Dog
- keep triplicate copies of application forms and forms signed by others
- make friends with your local Councillors
- never assume anything that appears logical or obvious
- BE PERSISTENT  and ALWAYS KEEP A SENSE OF HUMOUR.

Good Luck !!

Never expect a country which is in between a first world and a third world country providing the services of a first world country. This is applicable to countries like Malta and Mauritius alike. The Uk is a first world country, but now it has many restrictions to foreigners and soon wants to be out of the European union. This means British people will still get what they deserve whilst foreigners get nothing. Therefore just bear in mind what I mentioned before if you are a foreigner and disabled there are a very few countries in this world which will help you. That might be Sweden, Austria and Germany, but probably nowhere else.