Recommend an orthopedist to diagnose possible ACL knee injury in HCMC

Can anyone recommend a qualified orthopaedic doctor to diagnose a possible ACL or similar knee injury? Ideally, where I can get an MRI done at the same time.

Obviously health is more important than pricing, but if possible would appreciate something on the cheaper end of the scale as my travel insurance is being sketchy.

Currently stuck in Bong Trang after a motorcycle accident left me with an injured knee that I am unable to put much weight on, and unable to walk. The local hospital has been useless.

Bungabunga wrote:

Can anyone recommend a qualified orthopaedic doctor to diagnose a possible ACL or similar knee injury? Ideally, where I can get an MRI done at the same time.

Obviously health is more important than pricing, but if possible would appreciate something on the cheaper end of the scale as my travel insurance is being sketchy.

Currently stuck in Bong Trang after a motorcycle accident left me with an injured knee that I am unable to put much weight on, and unable to walk. The local hospital has been useless.

Your closest major hospital is in Ba Ria, otherwise you need to head to Saigon to one of the local hospitals. You could try Shingmark hospital at Bien Hoa, its only been open a few years and is operated by Taiwanese.

Thank you for the advice.

I have been to the hospital in Ba Ria three times so far, and they have been pretty useless. First time, was "just rest it and see what happens", second time was a half assed examination saying that I probably broke a ligament, should get an MRI. Third time tried to get an MRI, they refused first because I'm not local from what I gathered, when I pushed it, they refused because I have metal in my arm though the internet tells me it's doable.

Tired of the back and forth, would like to go in for one visit and figure out exactly what's going on so I can figure out my immediate plans. Travelling to Saigon is not ideal as I'm effectively handicapped and have been relying on the kindness of the homestay owners where I am staying to take care of me, but I don't think I'm going to get better anytime soon without it.

Bungabunga wrote:

... when I pushed it, they refused because I have metal in my arm though the internet tells me it's doable....

How much metal is in your arm?  That Ba Ria doctor may have done you a big favor.

I have knee replacements and my orthopedist warned me that I can never, never, never have another MRI.  I asked him what happens and he said the metal will heat up and burn into my flesh.  Not an attractive prospect.   I asked why can't they just do my upper body and he said that the radiation fills the whole room.  Even recent tattoos can be a problem with an MRI as there may be metallic substances in some of the inks.

A CT scan may be your next best bet.

Bungabunga wrote:

Thank you for the advice.

I have been to the hospital in Ba Ria three times so far, and they have been pretty useless. First time, was "just rest it and see what happens", second time was a half assed examination saying that I probably broke a ligament, should get an MRI. Third time tried to get an MRI, they refused first because I'm not local from what I gathered, when I pushed it, they refused because I have metal in my arm though the internet tells me it's doable.

Tired of the back and forth, would like to go in for one visit and figure out exactly what's going on so I can figure out my immediate plans. Travelling to Saigon is not ideal as I'm effectively handicapped and have been relying on the kindness of the homestay owners where I am staying to take care of me, but I don't think I'm going to get better anytime soon without it.

Health care is one of the downsides of living here. Basically,Saigon is your only choice, where you will get a doctor who will have more khowledge than the local doctors.

I have two metal plates on my left arm from a broken forearm seven years ago. All of the information I can gather says an MRI is safe, but the metal will affect the image near it.

CT scan may be your best option.

Just like with an MRI scan, patients must be still during a CT scan to get clear and usable images. Since the imaging speed is much faster than an MRI, CT imaging is affected less by slight movements, but it is still important that the patient remains as still as possible.

CT scans are safe for patients with metal implants.

How did you end up in Bong Trang it's a very small commune.

colinoscapee wrote:

How did you end up in Trang Bong, it's a very small commune.

Was passing through when I crashed my motorcycle on a patch of oil on the road. Definitely not ideal

Bungabunga wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

How did you end up in Trang Bong, it's a very small commune.

Was passing through when I crashed my motorcycle on a patch of oil on the road. Definitely not ideal

I go through there all the time to my wife's family house.

If you can get to Saigon, it's really your only option.

Going tomorrow, will see what happens

Bungabunga wrote:

Going tomorrow, will see what happens

Which hospital?

I'm at City International Hospital. Ha an initial consultation with Dr Pham Chi lang and currently waiting on an MRI this afternoon.

Still early, but I have to say it's a complete breath of fresh air compared to my Vietnamese hospital experiences thus far.

Well its an international hospital and about 5 times the price of local hospitals. They should be able to sort it out for you.

colinoscapee wrote:

Well its an international hospital and about 5 times the price of local hospitals. They should be able to sort it out for you.

The hospital was definitely worth it compared to the local ones. One day, in and out, with a proper diagnosis. They had zero concerns about the plates in my arm.

Pricing was relatively reasonable, 400k for the consultation and 2.5m for the MRI.

So, what was the diagnosis?  We have been following...

SteinNebraska wrote:

So, what was the diagnosis?  We have been following...

Oooops, forgot to include that. Tibial plateau fracture

Options are either a feel leg cast or surgery to put in plate and screws. Most likely I will go for the cast and fly home for further treatment.

Sucks either way but I'd take something broken over ACL many times over.

Thank you, I have to say I'm still undecided if this is better or not. I guess I'll know in a few months once I'm on my way to recovery.

MY ex-wife had ACL and MCL.  It was 18 months to recover.  Doc even said breaking "everything" down there would have been easier to recover.

I had had two torn meniscus tendons a year apart while in my early 50's which were followed by arthritis and knee replacement surgery in my late 60's.   One almost inevitably follows the other.  My Orthopedic surgeon told me that an ACL tear has the same down the road effect although it may take longer. 

My only advice to you now would be to stick with NSAIDS and don't let them give you opioids.  Good luck.  :top:

Thanks guys! The swelling has actually come down and I am no longer taking NSAID's.

I'm not a huge fan of opioids (taken percocets and vicodin previously) and it appears neither are the Vietnamese hospitals as they didn't prescribe any. Definitely could have used some in the first few days though

I'd be more concerned about fractures than an ACL injury at this stage. Sorting your ACL out, if in fact it is ruptured, is not a pressing issues for non-athletes. You're welcome to contact me if you want to give me more details of your injury. ***. I'm on Whatsapp or you can get me on Facebook at "Exercise Authority."

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi
Speaking as a sports doctor currently in Australia but planning on relocating to Vietnam soon, ACL injury can be fairly reliably diagnosed without any  further imaging.
However MRI scan is the best way of confirming diagnosis. CT is better for diagnosing bone injury.
If ACL rupture is indeed present, surgery is  required if you have high sporting or occupational demands on the knee. Results of surgery depend on the experience and skill level of the surgeon.
Apologies for the late reply but I only just saw this post.
Please let us know how you get on.

Family Medical Practice is often referred. I guess they are in the business as they have an orthopedic page.
Personally I would start there, they may refer you.

I  have lived in Saigon for 15 years and in that time I have had two broken collar bones and a rotator cuff repair (a complicated operation) all done by Dr Phat at FV Hospital in district 7. All operations were successful.

He is well known and respected as a first class surgeon.

Not sure if he comes with your budget but if he does I thoroughly recommend him.

Nick.

This kind of operation is a high skill and expensive surgical procedure. You may seek for another opinion with Dr. Phat - Orthopedist - in FV hospital before making decision. Dr. Phat is a reliable Orthopedist with graduation and working experience in Germany before working in FV.

Thanh