Medical Insurance

My wife and i will relocate to the Lisbon area in the next  couple of months.  I have a few questions about medical insurance.   I have received a few replies from expat.com about contacts, Auto Club and a few others.  I've sent email messages to the providers of medical insurance but have not received any reply.   My questions are:

1.  Medical coverage for seniors over age 75 with an Irish Passport.   Can I obtain medical in Portugal for myself?   I've contacted Cigna and a few other providers but the cost is very high - about $1400 Euro per month.  Any suggestions or should I wait until I arrive?
2.  Can I get a 90 day waiver to get the medical coverage?   I understand I need to provide proof of medical insurance before I can apply for a residency card.
3.  We have a tax number plus a savings and checking account with Millennium Bank.   They cannot provide medical coverage for individuals over age 75.
4.   I've read that many property owners do not want to rent for long periods.  Is this correct.  We would like to rent a place for 1 or 2 years.
5.  We will be shipping our household effects.  Do we need to provide proof of purchase for our furniture to bring it to Portugal?

Any suggestions to make it a simple and easy process?   Thank you

Dan P. Plute

I got the Clinicard from Credito Agricola. It has no age limit. It also costs only 6€ per month.

You can find more information here:  https://www.creditoagricola.pt/para-mim … -clinicard    Just copy the page and put it in Google translate if you don't understand Portuguese (yet).

I used it to get my residency, in m city they were ok with it.

I have not needed to use the actual medical services yet, so I can't tell you how good it actually is. You are limited to using medical services from their list but there is quite a large number of them. Also it is only valid in Portugal (and Spain) not the rest of Europe.

You do have to pay some money for each doctor visit, I think 25 €. As far as I can tell pretty much everything is covered - well and though there may be nasty surprises, those can also happen with 1400€ per month insurances.

Monika.  Thank you very much.  I will contact them and ask for information.  Your information is very helpful and appreciated.  Sending wishes for happiness and good health.

Dan,
You're welcome.
I just saw you also had a question regarding shipping household effects. I explained how it was for me here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=833451

You do not need any proof of purchase as far as I know, at least I didn't but I also didn't have any very expensive things. You may need it for cars, motorbikes etc., I think you need to proof that you owned them for some time but that is probably not a purchase paper but the registration. The Portuguese consulate should have the details on their website.