Tokyo or Yokohama?

My husband and I are considering a potential expat assignment. They are currently working on deciding where the office will be located (Tokyo or Yokohama). We may not have the opportunity to give any input, but just in case I would love to know if anyone has advice or thoughts about which might be better for a family of 5 (2 boys, ages 3 and 5 and one girl, age 8). I've heard international schools are tough to get in to - would either location offer an advantage in this area? We would also love to find a Christian church. Does anyone know of one in either location?  Thanks in advance!

Hi EmcWillians,

In my opinion, living in Yokohama is far more relaxed that living in Tokyo. That is why many people prefer to live here than in busy overcrowded Tokyo. But for a company headquarters you need to know whether it makes much different being in either Yokohama or Tokyo. The travel distance between Tokyo and Yokohama is only 30 minutes or so, but may mean standing all the way in the rush hours.

Not sure about which international school you prefer but in Yokohama there is St. Maur and YIS, both are excellent schools and near the popular expat community in the Yamate Hills.

The great thing about living in Yokohama is that there is a lot to see and do with so many parks, a Chinatown, a Korean town, plenty of excellent malls with great shopping and eating and it's close proximity to Tokyo .

If you plan to drive here then it's a fairly easy drive to get to Hakone, the Fuji Five Lakes region and also the Izu peninsula. Places like the town of Atami is not all that far away and has a fantastic boat marina and great beaches. My own kids love to visit here.

And yes there are lots of christian churches in Yokohama as well as in Tokyo:

https://www.google.co.id/maps/search/yo … a=!3m1!4b1

However, the bottom line for me would be quality of life for the family and that would mean living Yokohama rather than busy Tokyo.