Newly married couple moving to AMS from SF, both working remotely

Hi everyone, happy to be here!

My wife and I got married a few months back. We both live in San Francisco and work tech jobs. Both of our jobs are remote-friendly and we can work from anywhere we have internet. We have both dreamed about moving to Europe and when we visited Amsterdam, we absolutely loved it. Because of our job and life situation, we have a once in a lifetime opportunity to live abroad for a few years, and we want to move to Amsterdam.

Can anyone help us with what we would have to do to move there? I've been looking at other posts on this site, and from what I've seen, self-employment permits require "adding value to the Netherlands economy". I'm not sure either of us can argue this is the case with our current jobs, is there another way we would be able to move there?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hi - I just figured this out myself as I'll be working remotely while we live in Amsterdam (haven't moved yet). My situation is different from you in that my husband's company is relocating him and sponsoring his visa and my spouse visa. As a result of his visa, I'll have a visa that allows me to work in the Netherlands.

My company was willing to accommodate me and will register as a tax withholding company so that they can legally pay a Dutch resident and so I can get the 30% Ruling.

So first thing: you need to figure out how to get a work visa. Then you need to see if your company will accommodate and at the very least, register as a tax withholding agent in the Netherlands. You will be subject to local taxes and could apply for the 30% Ruling if your employer is willing to do it.

Hope this helps.