Black Haircare

Hello we just relocated to Subang near the old Airport. Any ideas where an African American woman can get her hair done? Best mall to shop? Manicures and Pedicures? Thanks

Hairdressers here tend to know only straight thick hair and so they're always a bit iffy about anything different. The trick is to go for a wash and blow first time, so they can work with your hair and get to know it.

My SIL is from the Sudan. When she last visited, I took her to my hairdresser, X Cut Hair And Beauty Studio in SS15 Subang Jaya. They're very sweet ladies and they're very affordable. They're at 35, Jalan SS15/4E, Subang Jaya, 47500, Selangor 03-5633 5932. Speak slowly, as English is their third language.

You can park in Courtyard (also called Subang First) and walk the 100m. The Courtyard has mani pedi places but the staff tend to be a bit sniffy. I prefer to go to Empire Mall, which is just a few hundred meters up the road.

Also, if this is your first time in Asia, be prepared to be oohed and aahed over, and to be talked about by the other customers. When I go, I have people poking at me because they want to see natural blonde hair. They don't mean to be rude; it's friendly interest. You may also be asked odd questions about your eyes, skin, boobs etc. Again, they don't mean badly.

Good luck!