Credit cards for expats in Vietnam

Hi friends , I would like to know that as an expat how difficult is it to get a credit card in Vietnam, I am working in a multinational company , it will be great if anyone shares who already have a credit card from a local vietnemase bank, required documents and procedure ,

Thanks in advance

dhan1234 :

Hi friends , I would like to know that as an expat how difficult is it to get a credit card in Vietnam, I am working in a multinational company , it will be great if anyone shares who already have a credit card from a local vietnemase bank, required documents and procedure ,

Thanks in advance

You just have to open a bank account, which is very simple.

Andy Passenger :
dhan1234 :

Thanks in advance

Not quite right, some local VN banks wont issue a credit card to foreigners. I think HSBC will issue one, but my local bank will not.

colinoscapee :
Andy Passenger :
dhan1234 :

Thanks in advance

Not quite right, some local VN banks wont issue a credit card to foreigners. I think HSBC will issue one, but my local bank will not.

Credit card or debit card makes practically no difference to me.  Whether I pay now or at the end of the month is absolutly irrelevant for me.

I have a VISA debit card from Sacombank and TIMO (VPBank) keeps pushing me to order a Mastercard credit card.

So I think it's no problem for the OP to get a credit card.

Sacombank offered me a credit card (separated from debit card, not tied to my checking account) when I opened the accounts with them.  I declined.  I've had too many cards already from the States and no one has ever rejected them, so there's no reason to acquire another one here.

Andy Passenger :
colinoscapee :
Andy Passenger :

Credit card or debit card makes practically no difference to me.  Whether I pay now or at the end of the month is absolutly irrelevant for me.

I have a VISA debit card from Sacombank and TIMO (VPBank) keeps pushing me to order a Mastercard credit card.

So I think it's no problem for the OP to get a credit card.

Just asked  a friend of mine who is the Southern Viet Nam credit card manager for one of the biggest banks in VN.

Her reply; Yes they can if they have labour contract or they have to get the secure credit card.

It all comes down to which bank you apply at.

Seeing as the OP works for a multi-national company, he should have no problems.