ATMs in HCMC. Any where I can get more than 2M dong?

My stupid bank (Wells Fargo) charges like $5 intl ATM fee I think (at least they did in Mexico, I used the ATM here one time and don't see the charge yet).

I used an ATM for the first time the other day and all it would let me draw was 2 million VND. :(

Are there any that will let you take more? And is there a Wells Fargo affiliated banks here (highly doubtful I know but I figured I'd ask just in case...)?

Go to the citybank atm in da tham, 100 meters from crazy buffalo. You can get up to 8 million, no atm fee.I always go there.

yes u can withdraw more than 2mil.  just reuse the atm after u draw 2mil.  it allow u to withdraw up to ur mimimum daily withdraw from ur bank.  just reuse the atm

Yes, u can withdrawal more than once but you have to pay fee each time.For me it's an enormous advantage if I can get big amounts

Oh thank you orange odissey 8 million would be great.

I dunno where da tham or crazy buffalo are...if I ask local friends will they know? I'm in D1...

It's between Pham Nguy Lao and Bui Vien. As central as possible! Ask for crazy buffalo or go to bar, everyone know's about it!

nickuscdds1 wrote:

yes u can withdraw more than 2mil.  just reuse the atm after u draw 2mil.  it allow u to withdraw up to ur mimimum daily withdraw from ur bank.  just reuse the atm

The idea here is to help Nam_ find an ATM that will allow maximum withdrawal to minimize the $5 fee that his/her "stupid Wells Fargo" bank (also my "stupid" bank for over 30 years of my life) charges for EACH ATM withdrawal.

Simply telling him/her to just use a 2,000,000 ATM over and over is not helping.

Nam, most all Citibank ATMs around HCMC now allow 8,000,000 VND withdrawals. If you can't find the one O.O. is talking about, go to the lobby of SunWah Tower on Nguyen Hue street in District 1. You can get cash there.

Hi Nam_, sorry I'm late to the conversation, but we always use Commonwealth Bank ATMs. They allow up to 9mill withdrawal, and don't charge a fee. Most of the others seem to charge a local 20,000/40,000 VND fee on top of whatever your own bank charges. It's not a lot, but it adds up when you can only withdraw 2mill at a time. And when you're trying to pay 3 months' rent in cash, it takes quite a few 2mill withdrawals.

Of course, you still pay your (exorbitant) US bank fees, so I'd recommend you get a different card next time you're able to. We use a 28degrees card from Australia, issued by GE Money, which has zero fees for overseas transactions, and a decent exchange rate, but there are a range of travel cards available in Australia these days, and I'm sure it's similar in the USA.

There is a Commonwealth Bank ATM on Đề Thám in Phạm Ngũ Lão, directly opposite Tâm Việt Travel (if I've got the name right); a few placed around the various alleys of Phạm Ngũ Lão; one on Nguyễn Du to the west of the Notre Dame cathedral square (inside the branch, but it's open outside banking hours); one on Tôn Đức Thắng on the waterfront, streetside to the wharf where you catch ferries to Vũng Tàu; and dozens all over the place. If you go into the Commonwealth Bank during banking hours, they have a little card that shows all the official locations, but I keep losing mine so I have no idea where the others are.

If it's inconvenient to find a Commonwealth Bank ATM, I use Citibank, which usually allows 8mill and only charges 40,000 VND a shot.

thanks

orange odissey wrote:

It's between Pham Nguy Lao and Bui Vien. As central as possible! Ask for crazy buffalo or go to bar, everyone know's about it!

Thanks orange odyssey. My friend knew where that intersection was and we went to that ATM.

Wells Fargo sez I can only get 6 million Dong though. Oh well. A lot better than 2. :)

On the way there some guy offered me some marijuana but I declined as the death penalty seems a bit of a steep price to pay (saw a Vietnamese guy with a "Legalize it!" hat later that evening haha ballsy) :). Great neighborhood lol...

[Moderated: Getting off topic]

saigonmonkey wrote:

Nam, most all Citibank ATMs around HCMC now allow 8,000,000 VND withdrawals. If you can't find the one O.O. is talking about, go to the lobby of SunWah Tower on Nguyen Hue street in District 1. You can get cash there.

Hi All:
I just found out today from Citibank that they are no longer allowing more than 2,000,000 VND withdrawals from ANY of their ATMs in HCMC.

So let's put our heads together here and figure out the best way to get reasonable sums of money (say 8,000,000 VND) from our foreign (USA in my case) bank accounts without it costing us an arm and a leg.

Any suggestions? MatthiasB, you posted back in April that you could get 9 mill from Commonwealth Bank ATMs. Is that still the case today. Anyone else here who can confirm this?

Thanks in advance for all comments.

ANZ cash points (at least, the one on CMT8 at Epoche Hotel and the one at An Phu supermarket) allow 10million VND per transaction and only charge 40k fee..

There is a new regulation that is limiting withdrawals to 2 million dong.  Depends on if the bank is State owned or not. 

Citibank, I was told by a Citibank Vietnam employee, is 2 million dong PER DAY.

If you are a Citigold (US) customer, you can do this thing called Emergency Cash where you go into the Vietnam branch and tell them how much you need.  They call Citibank US and then you can withdraw the money from a teller.  CitiBank Vietnam will tell you that you need some kind of excuse, but you don't.

I just ended up opening a CitiBank Vietnam account.  I can transfer from my US account for free.

A major PITA.

Oh that's too bad. This must be REALLY recent as the last time I used a Citibank ATM wasn't much more than a week ago...

I tried that Commonwealth Bank in D1 and I guess it didn't like me because it just returned my card when I tried to make a withdrawal. I dunno why...

ATMs in Kumho Asiana Plaza on Le Duan allow you to take at least 9 or 10 million. I think fee is around $2 to $3.

I just took 10M VND out of an ANZ ATM yesterday, only a 40K VND fee.  There are a lot of them in town.  You can use their locator here:

http://www.locate.anz.com/anz/international

Nam_ wrote:

Oh that's too bad. This must be REALLY recent as the last time I used a Citibank ATM wasn't much more than a week ago...

Apparently, it IS really recent, because Citibank hasn't reprogrammed their ATMs yet. The one I usually use still has the 8,000,000 VND option. When I select it, all I get is a message saying "I'm sorry, I cannot process your transaction at this time" or something like that. First time was yesterday, while the bank was closed. Tried again today, got the same message, and went in the bank to ask what's going on. That's when I was told they're not allowing more than 2,000,000 withdrawals anymore. The young lady I spoke with said I could try another bank's ATM.

Somehow, I'm afraid the VN government is behind this, (iflyhigh's post above seems to confirm my suspicions) and it's only a matter of time before ALL banks in VN will only allow 2,000,000 withdrawals. The ones that still allow more are just continuing to push back. Citibank apparently caved.

We use the ANz something like that ATM machine and my husband takes out 10 million vND for a fee 40,000 vND.

DongA let me take 5 million max each time

MatthiasB wrote:

Hi Nam_, sorry I'm late to the conversation, but we always use Commonwealth Bank ATMs. They allow up to 9mill withdrawal, and don't charge a fee.

I'll be visiting HCMC next month. Found the following link about a $2.00 international ATM fee with Commonwealth Bank.

http://www.commbank.com.vn/australians-and-expats.html

So is there a fee, or no fees at all? Thanks.

OzOzOz wrote:

If the only fee charged is a percentage of the withdrawal, for most people, that's not the problem.

My problem is that my bank charges a flat $5 fee for every withdrawal (in addition to the percentage fee). I think that's the case for most posters here, which is why we want to find the bank with the highest withdrawal amount allowed.

I can withdraw 10 million at ANZ for $5 USD, or I can withdraw 2 million at Citibank 5 times x $5 USD which will cost me $25 USD.

Now, which is the better deal?

saigonmonkey wrote:
OzOzOz wrote:

If the only fee charged is a percentage of the withdrawal, for most people, that's not the problem.

My problem is that my bank charges a flat $5 fee for every withdrawal (in addition to the percentage fee). I think that's the case for most posters here, which is why we want to find the bank with the highest withdrawal amount allowed.

I can withdraw 10 million at ANZ for $5 USD, or I can withdraw 2 million at Citibank 5 times x $5 USD which will cost me $25 USD.

Now, which is the better deal?

Double charge. Ouch!

I gave up on the whole ATM thing. I just use the Vietnam Bamboo Banking Network now. I have my ex-wife go to the Pho Restaurant in Vegas and send me my money every month. It is only 1% to send to Saigon and you get the money either same day or next morning.

OzOzOz wrote:

Suck it and see. We don't get charged, but you might.

As with all overseas transactions, check the screen of the ATM carefully, and keep all receipts. It's why I always use credit cards, you can challenge the transaction if they're dishonest. Did I mention you should always keep the receipts?

I've never had anyone try anything dodgy on the credit card in Vietnam, only in London. Doesn't mean I'm not careful.

Matt

Come directly to the bank in office hours, you can withdraw as you wish,,,

Truong Xuan wrote:

Come directly to the bank in office hours, you can withdraw as you wish,,,

Most banks seem to charge a 4% fee on in-branch withdrawals, on top of any charges your own bank might levy. This generally makes it way too expensive. And of course, being Vietnam, time-consuming - the only time I've made an over-the-counter withdrawal, in an emergency, it took about 25 minutes, and I had three pieces of paperwork to sign.

AlexSarah wrote:

ANZ cash points (at least, the one on CMT8 at Epoche Hotel and the one at An Phu supermarket) allow 10million VND per transaction and only charge 40k fee..

Thanks to AlexSarah and others who recommended ANZ. I stopped by the one at An Phu Supermarket yesterday and got 10 million. I'm happy...for now. Still concerned that there's something more sinister going on that will eventually cause ANZ to follow the way of Citibank and the others. Get it while you can.

And I agree with MatthiasB - going inside a VN bank to get money is definitely more time-consuming and more trouble than it's worth. I have to pay my electric bill at Sacombank every month, and it's a 20 minute ordeal EVERY time. I'm sure if all the banks go to 2 million ATM limits, someone here will come up with a solution. It's what I love about Ex-pat Blog.:)

saigonmonkey wrote:

I have to pay my electric bill at Sacombank every month, and it's a 20 minute ordeal EVERY time.

Completely OT, but I pay in cash directly to EVNHCMC on Thi Sách, and it takes no more than 5 minutes. Of course, you have to go to the counter, where you present your bill, then they issue you a ticket, which you take to another counter... but usually, they're waiting for you at the second counter, and it takes no time. All friendly smiles, too.

I have read that there is a new regulation that is limiting withdrawals to 2 million dong. Is this regulation applicable to all banks ATM in Vietnam ? Please your information, I am not in Vietnam now, but will be visiting there in the near future.

Hi! Just to let u know, you can withdraw 10 million dong any ANZ ATM machine for a fee of 40,000 dong. We always do that. We just withdrew  money at Inter Continental hotel in the Kuhmo Builiding where they have Hard Rock Cafe.

pnaiprincess wrote:

Hi! Just to let u know, you can withdraw 10 million dong any ANZ ATM machine for a fee of 40,000 dong. We always do that. We just withdrew  money at Inter Continental hotel in the Kuhmo Builiding where they have Hard Rock Cafe.

How many other banks, besides ANZ, currently allow more than 2 million VND withdrawals? Call me skeptical, but I say it's just a matter of time before ANZ goes the way of the others.

Hey!  I used the Citibank ATM on De Tham a couple weeks ago and it would only let me take out 6 Million VND, so today I tracked down the Commonwealth and ANZ ATM's on the same street.
Problem though...there is no "chequing account" option. Citibank had one and I had no problem, but these other two ATM's only have "saving" "current" "credit card" and something else that I can't remember now...I tried "current" and the other one and all it did was spit my card out. I can't withdraw from my savings account or I get hit with a huge fee from my home bank, and I definitely don't want to withdraw from my credit because that's another huge fee at home.
Any suggestions? Not sure where else to try. I'd preferably like to take the 10 million out that commonwealth offers, the more at one go the better!
Thanks!

kt_mllr wrote:

...today I tracked down the Commonwealth and ANZ ATM's on the same street. Problem though...there is no "chequing account" option. Citibank had one and I had no problem, but these other two ATM's only have "saving" "current" "credit card" and something else that I can't remember now...I tried "current" and the other one and all it did was spit my card out...

Yep. That's exactly what happened to me when I tried to use a Commonwealth ATM in D1.

saigonmonkey wrote:

Apparently, it IS really recent, because Citibank hasn't reprogrammed their ATMs yet. The one I usually use still has the 8,000,000 VND option. When I select it, all I get is a message saying "I'm sorry, I cannot process your transaction at this time" or something like that.

Hmm...about 3 weeks ago I tried to withdraw funds from the Citybank ATM inside the little convenience store on Nguyen Van Linh just south of where the Skygarden condos begin as suggested by someone on this board and I was denied (this was not the first time I had used this ATM and I believe my message was a little different than what you said and that it suggested that I contact my financial institution). I returned home and called my bank and the person I spoke with assured me that there was nothing wrong with my card and suggested I try another ATM.

So I ended up using an ATM in D1 I don't remember which one but there was a security guy inside and I think it may have been on Dong Khoi near the Sony store...

In any case when I needed to use an ATM again just a week or so ago I tried the same Citybank ATM on Nguyen Van Linh and it worked fine...I'm still wondering if the reason it didn't work that one day has something to do with this 2 million limit folks are talking about?

Dear all,

Thanks for the replies. Previously, when I come to hcmc, I usually take the money at ATM to meet the needs there. But maybe in future , I will buy USD money here in my country for exchange to VND there, because I think it's cheaper than take money at ATM, though inconvenient because have to change currency 2 times.

anyone knows where this issue is at now in 2014? can you take out more than 2 million in certain atms?

Citibank ATM inside Circle K , Bui Vien st will do 8Million

When using the Aussie banks , just remember that whilst they may charge a 40k fee , they slug you for an international conversion / transaction fee which is bloody horrific . What I do [ when i go home to OZ] is western Union myself $2000 multiple times and it only costs $11 to send and nothing when retrieving it from a WU OUTLET , CHEAP AS CHIPS . But i understand that not everyone goes home often

Another thing i have done is leave my cash at home with a trusted family member and when the need arises , they WU to me in 2k lots . The last time i took 2k out of an ATM in a series of transactions , the associated fees added up to $89 Australian . Thats why WU is so attractive

HSBC atm outside Zen plaza on nguyen trai allows 10 million.