Senator Mike Lee introduced a bill which would repeal the Jones Act

Sen. Lee Introduces Open America's Water Act of 2019

Mar 07 2019

WASHINGTON – Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) introduced the Open America's Water Act of 2019 Thursday, a bill which would repeal the Jones Act and allow all qualified vessels to engage in domestic trade between U.S. ports.

“Restricting trade between U.S. ports is a huge loss for American consumers and producers. It is long past time to repeal the Jones Act entirely so that Alaskans, Hawaiians, and Puerto Ricans aren't forced to pay higher prices for imported goods—and so they rapidly receive the help they need in the wake of natural disasters.”

In 1920, Congress passed the Merchant Marine Act (more widely known as the Jones Act), which requires all goods transported by water between U.S. ports to be carried on a vessel constructed in the U.S., registered in the U.S., owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed primarily by U.S. citizens.

The Cato Institute estimates that after accounting for the inflated costs of transportation and infrastructure, the forgone wages and output, the lost domestic and foreign business revenue, and the monetized environmental toll the annual cost of the Jones Act is in the tens of billions of dollars. And that figure doesn't even include the annual administration and oversight costs of the law.

https://www.lee.senate.gov/public/index … EF3DC571FF

Reason.com also covered the story -

The Jones Act Is an Antiquated, Protectionist Policy Failure. Mike Lee Is Aiming to Kill It.
The Utah senator wants a world where "Alaskans, Hawaiians, and Puerto Ricans aren't forced to pay higher prices for imported goods."

http://reason.com/blog/2019/03/08/the-j … is#comment

Excellent - does it have a chance??  I think this may be an uphill struggle, but I support it 100%. 😎

The reason.com article isn't overly optimistic about its chances of passing.

The entire legal framework between PR and its attachment and subserviance to the US, is one of the stranger geopolitical relationships I can think of.

I imagine it has a fair chance.  Many bills introduced in the House or Senate are symbolic, meaning that the entire purpose is to permit the sponsor to return to her district and say, "I introduced legislation to ..." even though the bill never went anywhere.  Doesn't seem that Senator Lee has this in mind.  Further, both chambers may be looking for something on which both can agree -- get something through to demonstrate bipartisanship.  Don't see any reason why President Trump wouldn't sign it.

Regarding its impact if passed, I don't expect much.  Consider your purchases.  My guess is that the bulk of your purchases of imported goods originate either in the US or Asia.  If US, repeal of the Jones Act has little effect as the goods move through the mainland to a southern port with or without the Act.  Same is true of goods originating in Asia.  No cargo vessel is going to sail from Hong Kong to San Francisco, unload 95% of its cargo, then sail through the Panama Canal just to go to Puerto Rico.  The entire cargo will be offloaded at San Fran, and what is bound for Puerto Rico will go by freight train to a southern port, and then to PR, same as always.  Hawaii will see more significant savings, and Alaska may even see some savings, but not PR. 

Having said that, lifting the requirements that ships be built in the US of US parts and crewed by US crews will result in some modest savings, but I don't expect a windfall here.

I see ZERO chance it will go anywhere.

Most bills die.  In the last Congress (Jan. 2017-Jan. 2019), 85% of bills introduced died without further action.  So, betting that it will go nowhere is the safe bet.

However, if I'm asked what are the chances of this bill, I'd say that they are better than most, for the reasons I indicated above.  Wouldn't bet the farm on it passing, because the odds are against it, but I think it has an above-average chance for committee action and a possible floor vote.

Bear in mind that this current Congress has been in session for only three months, and each Congress lasts 48 months.  Bills introduced earlier in a Congress have a better chance of success than those introduced later.

This is a piece on politics, I was under the understanding that politics were not allowed. Specially the part "Reason.com also covered the story - The Jones Act Is an Antiquated, Protectionist Policy Failure. Mike Lee Is Aiming to Kill It. The Utah senator wants a world where "Alaskans, Hawaiians, and Puerto Ricans aren't forced to pay higher prices for imported goods."

While it would be good to eliminate the Jones Act, I do not think it should be posted here, specially as an opinion piece.

We have had this discussion before Rey.  This isn't an ideological thread, but rather one on possible Congressional action that will have an impact on Puerto Rico.  Seems to me to particularly relevant to this site.

Moreover, much of what we are asked for is opinion -- "Can you recommend a realtor?  doctor? dentist? plumber?" are all requests for our opinions.  Indeed, you just offered your own opinion, "it would be good to eliminate the Jones Act..."

I too have no desire to see this site descend into a shouting match over partisan ideology.  I see too much of that elsewhere.  However, it seems to me that this thread is appropriate for this site, and stands at the moment little chance of becoming a shouting match.

Of course, you are the mod, not me.  Just my opinion  ;-)

Hello everyone,

Please note that political debates are not allowed on the forum.

Thank you for your understanding.
Christine

-topic closed-

Closed