Switching driving license

Hello Folks,

I'm a Lebanese Citizen residing in Saudi Arabia, and have a Saudi Driving license.

I will be moving to Dubai in September and was wondering if i can switch my Saudi Driving License to an Emirati one?

I really don't want to go through the boring driving school.

P.S: Please, if you have no idea about it, do not reply. I appreciate your good intentions, but it could add to the confusion.

Cheers,

Unfortunately, the UAE is practically the only GCC country that doesn't allow you to do a straight transfer from another GCC country license (if you are an expat and not part of the exempted list of nationalities for this).

The rules and regulations keep on changing but basically how it works is that you go to the driving school with your documents (UAE residency, Passport, Emirates ID and sponsor NOC in some cases), fees (for opening traffic file and other procedures), eye test and original driving license.  They will have you do theory test and refer you for a road test (maybe an assessment as well by the institute themselves).  If you pass it, you get a driving license.  If not, then you end up taking 20 or 30 classes before you try again.  Sometimes, they just refer you straight to a road test without theory.  But a road test is done in every case.

This is how it was until a year ago.  Suggest to call the RTA or drop them an email for clarity; they are pretty responsive.

Finally got a reply from RTA on this matter:
--------------------------------------------------------------
شكراً لتواصلك معنا. يرجى العلم انه يمكنك استبدال رخصة القيادة بعد اجتياز اختبار النظري واختبار الطريق النهائي. للمزيد من التفاصيل، يرجى زيارة الرابط التالي: https://bit.ly/2oXKCWQ

Translation:
Thank you for contacting us, kindly note that you can switch your driving license after passing the optical test & the final road test. For more info, please visit: https://bit.ly/2oXKCWQ

Yep.  Optical is no issue, just do an eye test at any participating outlet.

On the plus side, they dropped the theory test.  Unfortunately, the road test is a pain.  Read up on all the rules before taking it.  This is not like Saudi; they will actually have you drive a bit and observe all rules like stopping at a stop line, indicators, changing lanes etc.  Any issue and you end up going through the whole process of classes.