Rent Conflict with Landlord

Dear all,

I'm living in an apartment with my wife for 7 months. Unfortunately my wife has to return back to home country due to personal reasons.
I gave my landlord one month notice. Problem is:
1. He is asking me to pay for 3 months because it's minimum notice I've to give him
2. There is no paper contract between us and he's never mentioned that notice period is 3 months
3. He has my cheques for 4-5 months

I am leaving on 10th month and offered to pay for full month. More than that i really cannot afford. Any way i can legally avoid paying for 3 months if there are no new tenants?

Please help.

I think no better & easy way out from this situation except either you can convince him or try to arrange some flat partner with you , by putting ad on olx and hence sharing the cost.

Hi freeeeknik,

The 3-month notice period is mandatory.

As per the residency laws, no house / flat can be rented without a formal documented contract, signed and approved by the local Municipality. So both you and your owner have faulted here.

And as @Asif_Hassan has rightly advised you above, it is best that you find a replacement tenant for your flat and exit without any financial damage to you.