Offered teaching job in Mongolia (American School of Ulaanbataar)

Hello,

I'm from Dallas Texas and just got a job offer to teach at the American School of Ulaanbataar. Any advice?

Well The American School of English is known as where all the rich kids go. So i guess you`d receive considerably decent salary (at least compared to Mongolian standard). The students might be spoiled brats for all i heard, but then again it can`t be worse than American teenagers.
Overall the quality of life won`t be the same. The first and main problem would be the air pollution and the winter, then the pricey but poor quality food, last but not least the traffic. Because of all those problems, Mongolians are generally stressed and looking for excuses to take it out on anything or anyone. To be brutally honest I wouldn`t recommend anyone to stay here for long. But i agree living and working here for a while would be an unique experience, but for a long time, it`s not worth it

Do a search for the An American Tomboy in Mongolia blog. It's written by a former employee of ASU and includes a post that was a bit of an eye-opener for teachers and parents in Mongolia. The students aren't the problem and neither was life in UB - the issue in her case (and for other teachers and staff) was the administration and its policies.

I have been through these international school during my high school years, it is true that education wasn't the most important part of my education.

Most teachers are frustrated by the board, management, and the students by end of their contract but it was way back when the current population of the high-end class hasn't changed much with spoiled brats living in the highlight of Ulaanbaatar. There are schools like British school of UB, International school, and more are uping their standarts and teaching higher meterials (college-prep Cambridge, ivy league education*)

Education wise, it depends on how much you take and give, there are students who really do want to learn but just maybe that one* student should be left behind.

Living in Ulaanbaatar, you just have to adapt to the weather in winter, living close by you wouldn't have that much of problem commuting but the pricing of commodities are high and during your contract period, you can be comfortable but I am guessing saving money isn't an option.

PS: I never taught, never worked with these people, so good luck if you decide to take the offer.

You may want to catch up on the recent developments at BSU... The shareholders are battling it out for control of the school, the current/being forced out administration is going back to court in a few weeks to answer to charges of embezzlement and failure to repay loans, and the majority shareholder trying to clean house sent in a "security" company to forcibly throw teachers and staff out in front of a bunch of parents and some children. It's a mess. The British embassy has stepped in and so have local law enforcement.

Follow the advice from members. Learn and screen through the offer given to you.

Any teacher who worked for American School of Ulaanbataar? I have some questions. I have been offered a position.

Hi there

Maybe you find answers on The Facebook group called Expats Network in Mongolia.

Thank you, I will check!

Look on the job board at daveseslcafe.com