How has Ecuador been improving?

The link provided by Osage is user friendly and more succinct. The link originally posted by HG is terrible. The summary provided in a follow up is as bad as well as it does not say it is total or percent. Give the actual page numbers in the future. In summation, both look some what similar and are a bit more violent than the US. So you tie LOL but Osage has data that is much more user friendly.

I was Wrong, it does give it in percentage form but it is still poorly presented. When referencing detail contained in a report, give the page in the future.

Bigbrad2008 wrote:

The link provided by Osage is user friendly and more succinct. The link originally posted by HG is terrible. The summary provided in a follow up is as bad as well as it does not say it is total or percent. Give the actual page numbers in the future. In summation, both look some what similar and are a bit more violent than the US. So you tie LOL but Osage has data that is much more user friendly.

User friendly is not accurate. It is just ... that ... friendly ... like the local barfly. Very ... friendly. There is no tie ... facts bear out that Ecuador ranks MUCH worse, in most major crime categories, except homicide. I already wrote about the latter and why I think it is the one exception. Facts presented without credibility, regardless of how "friendly", are merely pig in lipstick misinformation.

Oh ... and... omg ... page citation? Really? Lol. That is what has become of America and then we complain why we have long ago been passed up as "First" in the world. Sure ... pp. 36-43 from this report:

https://www.unodc.org/documents/data-an … ustice.pdf

Why is it that I have a Gerber commercial on a "play loop" in my head right now?

HGQ2112 wrote:
OsageArcher wrote:

Here is a comparison which uses as its source UN documents you mention, which shows that violent crimes are much more prevalent in Colombia than in Ecuador, up to 5 times more in some categories:

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-in … ador/Crime

NationMasters is no more a definitive source than Numbeo. Neither trumps the UNODC data, from a standpoint of credibility. Go anywhere, with NM data and UNODC data and see which gets recognition ... lol.  But I will play .. from NationMasters rapes per capita, Ecuador: 115.92, Colombia 67.8. While the NM per capita scale is MUCH less accurate than the UNODC data and has been proven to both undercount and double/triple count data, even your own cited source betrays you.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-in … ion-people

And since NationMasters no longer covers any other violent crime category, except homicide and rape ... well ... not much further we can go with that.

Did you not see, they use the UN data you tout?  Look at the sources, below the information.

What is your agenda?  Why are you so insistent in portraying Colombia as safe, but Ecuador as not?

No ... NM does not use the UN source. They POORLY use an amalgamation of varied sources, many of them dated. This has been the source of much online discussion. The problem is that what they don't know is that many of these sources use the same base source ... and ... yes ... the UNODC is ONE of those base sources. Problem with that is that NM treats each sources as though it were independent and tallies the same repetitive numbers from different sources, thus aggregating the numbers incorrectly. In the meantime, it leaves off other critical data sources that DO have independent data. NM is a statistical unreliable mess. No willful bias, but a great deal of mathematical incompetence. Can't hold a candle to the professionally sourced UN Data. I can also provide an Interpol report that will merely support the UN numbers. Try as you might, reality dictates that you accept the fact that Ecuador is more of a criminal hotbed for major crime than Colombia.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but as OsageArcher alluded to, HGQT2112 has an obvious axe to grind for Ecuador.

One example of that is labeling Quito as having “horrid Quito traffic.” In which imaginary world does this horrid traffic exist? Because it certainly does not apply to the Quito that I live in.

All one has to do is Google - Quito Traffic and and a live and updated traffic map will propagate. A map that will reveal traffic areas. It's currently a Friday night at about 8:45 PM and the traffic map of Quito is mostly green.

Green indicates that there is no traffic, and red indicating traffic. Keep in mind it is mostly green despite being a busy weekend night and with ongoing work on the Quito Metro.

The criticizing of the Quito Metro before it is open to the public is another example of an axe to grind for Ecuador. This is a project that is nearly complete with trams being delivered. It will run along some of the most popular areas of this city of nearly 3 million residents.

What's great about this project is that it being developed before Quito has serious traffic issues due to growth. Yet before Quito Metro even opens, it is doomed to failure, according to HGQT2112.

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : please post in english only on this english speaking forum, thank you
vsimple wrote:

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but as OsageArcher alluded to, HGQT2112 has an obvious axe to grind for Ecuador.

One example of that is labeling Quito as having “horrid Quito traffic.” In which imaginary world does this horrid traffic exist? Because it certainly does not apply to the Quito that I live in.

All one has to do is Google - Quito Traffic and and a live and updated traffic map will propagate. A map that will reveal traffic areas. It's currently a Friday night at about 8:45 PM and the traffic map of Quito is mostly green.

Green indicates that there is no traffic, and red indicating traffic. Keep in mind it is mostly green despite being a busy weekend night and with ongoing work on the Quito Metro.

The criticizing of the Quito Metro before it is open to the public is another example of an axe to grind for Ecuador. This is a project that is nearly complete with trams being delivered. It will run along some of the most popular areas of this city of nearly 3 million residents.

What's great about this project is that it being developed before Quito has serious traffic issues due to growth. Yet before Quito Metro even opens, it is doomed to failure, according to HGQT2112.

No traffic in quito? Interesting. Traffic was listed as THE primary reason for building the rail, as cited by Quito politicians. They have pico y placa restrictions, where cars with certain license plates cannot even be on the road on certain days, only on assigned days. Don't know of anywhere in the world that creates such policy for the sheer "fun of it". They do so to address real world, existing traffic issues. And, why don't we let folks judge for themselves on Quito's traffic woes. They say every picture is worth 1,000 words.

https://www.eltelegrafo.com.ec/noticias … s-en-quitohttps://www.eltelegrafo.com.ec/noticias … o-encuesta

When folks come to view fair, honest and unbiased opinions on independent forums such as this, I think it misses the mark, when we promise them a "traffic free" Quito. I already stated what my only agenda would be and I don't see how I benefit from the realities of Ecuador and, specifically, Quito being less than stellar locales, since I maintain business interests in the former, with the largest percentage of said interest being in the latter? I benefit from both excelling, which at this juncture, they do not and, imo, have taken a step backwards in the post Correa era.

HGQ2112 wrote:

No traffic in quito?

No one stated that Quito has "no traffic." The Google traffic map that I posted does however contradict your claim that Quito has "horrid traffic."

Again, anyone can access the map, and as a matter of fact one can even view how typical traffic looks at any hour of the day. Simply use the drop-down menu from live traffic to typical traffic and select day and hour. The colors range from green/fast traffic to dark red/slow traffic.

vsimple wrote:
HGQ2112 wrote:

No traffic in quito?

No one stated that Quito has "no traffic." The Google traffic map that I posted does however contradict your claim that Quito has "horrid traffic."

Again, anyone can access the map, and as a matter of fact one can even view how typical traffic looks at any hour of the day. Simply use the drop-down menu from live traffic to typical traffic and select day and hour. The colors range from green/fast traffic to dark red/slow traffic.

And I would strongly urge that anyone considering a move or vacation to Quito consult the map frequently, read up on the bazillion traffic horror stories in the public press, and consult a wide cross-section of folks living in Quito. Balance is important to solid research.

I also suggest they consider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RstO4pEbd6Mhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDvQQT4XOLUhttps://www2.gwu.edu/~iiep/assets/docs/ … 013-01.pdf

I will stand by my assertion ... MAJOR traffic issues in Quito.

You live in , Colombia and your business helps ex-pats save on taxes correct?

I live in Colombia. Am on constant travel because of my business. We are a global real estate investment consulting operation. As part of the consulting services, we handle certain types of financial matters, for our clients. Just to be clear.

HGQ2112 wrote:
vsimple wrote:
HGQ2112 wrote:

No traffic in quito?

And I would strongly urge that anyone considering a move or vacation to Quito consult the map frequently, read up on the bazillion traffic horror stories in the public press, and consult a wide cross-section of folks living in Quito. Balance is important to solid research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RstO4pEbd6Mhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDvQQT4XOLUhttps://www2.gwu.edu/~iiep/assets/docs/ … 013-01.pdf

:D

You're using youtube.com to make an argument against Google Traffic?

"Google Traffic works by analyzing the GPS-determined locations transmitted to Google by a large number of mobile phone users. By calculating the speed of users along a length of road, Google is able to generate a live traffic map."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Traffic

Ok, the expats here, like myself are potential customers. Try not have foolish arguments with potential customers.

vsimple wrote:
HGQ2112 wrote:
vsimple wrote:

:D

You're using youtube.com to make an argument against Google Traffic?

"Google Traffic works by analyzing the GPS-determined locations transmitted to Google by a large number of mobile phone users. By calculating the speed of users along a length of road, Google is able to generate a live traffic map."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Traffic

Using YouTube to have people look at a live, real world experience of what is plain to anyone who visits --- Quito's traffic is murderous. Next, I provide an actual university study -- a USA university no less -- that elaborates and details Quito's traffic woes and suggests that no solution is in sight. But if you'd like, I can create a link (doesn't exist online that I am aware) and upload the massive traffic study that was conducted to justify the metro and its costs. In other words ... visual proof via YouTube... academic study proof from a globally respected university ... and, if you'd like ... proof from a political study conducted on traffic. Seems pretty complete to me ... unless ... of course ... someone has an agenda. Lol.

Bigbrad2008 wrote:

Ok, the expats here, like myself are potential customers. Try not have foolish arguments with potential customers.

Brad ... genuine ... no sarcasm ... truly appreciate the concern and advice. I have been doing this globally for 35 years. It teaches you a lot. One thing it teaches you is that its a big world out there. Everyone's got options and it's always best not to get one's britches too big and forget that.

So, clients or potential clients have a plethora of choices to select from. Will they all be as qualified ... or even remotely so ...? Not in my opinion. Likewise, my experience and success gives me the option of selecting the clients I get to work with and devote my time/expertise. On the latter, I long ago made a simple decision -- I work only with clients that value the facts ... straight ... hard ... honest. If someone is looking to have sweet nothings whispered in their ear ... and sunshine blown up their patooties ... well ... I'm not their guy. That's why my clients are successful investors and other folks buy real estate. There IS a difference. And the truth is ... Quito has traffic and Ecuador has plenty of crime.

You are funny

And, I would like to ask CC just how many social leader have been assassinated in Ecuador this last year, 2018? I believe if my rum sodden memory is correct that it has been more than 400 in Colombia this last year......it grieves me....I love Colombia.........Im thinking about moving there from Panama.....But truth is truth...........and present is present.....Talking about the deep dark past doesnt quite cut it even tho in the big historical picture yes of course it comes into consideration.....And yes, for whatever they want to say about  Correa, he did GREAT things for Ecuador....and I would take him out to dinner in a heartbeat........Of course they are accusing him of bigtime corruption.....but I still have yet to see the proof..........

The cost of exercise/gym equipment has greatly decreased in price. And by a lot! Probably by as much as 50% as only a year ago the thought of a home gym was not possible because it was cost-prohibitive.

This is one example of a decent looking stationary bike that costed more than $500 a year ago on Mercado Libre.

Treadmills are also way down.  :top:

Ecuadors prices are gonna have to come way down if they expect to stay competitive.........Will they do it? Time will tell..........Kinda like saying God only knows.......

I have to agree that traffic here is pretty bad.  It is the primary reason I have not bought a car.  I moved here from Austin Texas which is notorious for traffic problems and I would stand by the statement that traffic here is much worse.  Of course I live on the 8th floor at Portugal and Republica del Salvaor, and can watch traffic at Portugal and 6 Deciember and Portugal and Republica del Salvador.  Between 1:30 and 3 pm, and 5 and 7:30 pm it barely moves.  I attribute this to main factors; the number of cars, and cell phones.  My Ecuadorian friend who lives about two miles from me will walk to my place instead of driving because it is faster.

JadeRiver wrote:

I have to agree that traffic here is pretty bad.  It is the primary reason I have not bought a car.  I moved here from Austin Texas which is notorious for traffic problems and I would stand by the statement that traffic here is much worse.  Of course I live on the 8th floor at Portugal and Republica del Salvaor, and can watch traffic at Portugal and 6 Deciember and Portugal and Republica del Salvador.  Between 1:30 and 3 pm, and 5 and 7:30 pm it barely moves.  I attribute this to main factors; the number of cars, and cell phones.  My Ecuadorian friend who lives about two miles from me will walk to my place instead of driving because it is faster.

Thank you for the much needed dose of reality, from those actually living there. Some would have the gullible believe that Quito is like having the Autobahn to one's self ... nary a wisp of traffic. Smh. Bad enough my career industry perpetuates such myths ... but now we got posters disseminating false data. Ecuador ... beautiful country. Quito ... wonderful city. But real issues do exist. Nirvana doesn't exist anywhere, except inside the gilded pages of huckster newsletters.

dumluk wrote:

Ecuadors prices are gonna have to come way down if they expect to stay competitive.........Will they do it? Time will tell..........Kinda like saying God only knows.......

Dumluk,

Astute observation. I know for some it is hard to hear, but with the inexplicably sustained valuation of the US$, Ecuador is just no longer the bargain it once was. I will stick solely to my industry, but the US$ can buy so much more real estate today in Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, etc. because of currency factors that once dirt cheap Ecuador today is moderately priced at best ... expensive at worse. Doesn't mean that opportunities do not still exist. Doesn't mean that Ecuador cannot turn things around. However, your observation is dead on accurate. In addition to the collapse of the oil market and the earthquake, Ecuador received the triple whammy of its critical base exports becoming too pricey as the dollar rose ... and rose ... in value. Combined with high debt ... Ecuador is in a precarious economic situation ... for those that will ... well ... listen to reality. Flash and trash in newsletters just sounds so much ... prettier.

JadeRiver wrote:

As a Quito resident who took hundreds of taxis, buying an automatic SUV was one of the best decisions that I've made. Driving my own ride has made all aspects related to transportation better. I drive everyday and at all hours, and traffic is not a limitation nor a hindrance for me. Do I stay away from traffic between 5:00-6:30 PM during peak hours Mon-Fri, I do. Other than that it's all good.

Viewing Google Traffic Map which shows live traffic and also historical hourly traffic is an objective way for members to determine for themselves. And no-offence to JadeRiver but looking outside one's window and determining traffic is pretty bad in a city is quite subjective.

I recommend Waze for drivers, it's a great app that installed in my car. You don't even need to type, just give a command and it will give you the best route. For instance, Sweet and Coffee or my home.

HGQ2112 wrote:
JadeRiver wrote:

Thank you for the much needed dose of reality, from those actually living there. Some would have the gullible believe that Quito is like having the Autobahn to one's self ... nary a wisp of traffic. Smh. Bad enough my career industry perpetuates such myths ... but now we got posters disseminating false data. Ecuador ... beautiful country. Quito ... wonderful city. But real issues do exist. Nirvana doesn't exist anywhere, except inside the gilded pages of huckster newsletters.

This is coming from a consultant who tried to convince members that:

1.)  Ecuador is more dangerous than Colombia.

2.) Compared Ecuador's bloodless coups to a Colombian conflict that resulted in hundreds of thousands of dead Colombians including tens of thousands of children.  A conflict that displaced millions of Colombians.

You are indeed a funny man.

vsimple wrote:
HGQ2112 wrote:
JadeRiver wrote:

This is coming from a consultant who tried to convince members that:

1.)  Ecuador is more dangerous than Colombia.

2.) Compared Ecuador's bloodless coups to a Colombian conflict that resulted in hundreds of thousands of dead Colombians including tens of thousands of children.  A conflict that displaced millions of Colombians.

You are indeed a funny man.

Accurate on both counts. Facts are there in black and white, from reputable sources, which I already cited, in support of my position. That you prefer fantasy over reality is a choice, not fact.

More objective data for the topic, as we look to Ecuador's immediate future.

ECUADOR – ECONOMIC OUTLOOK
Public Cuts Will Weigh On Growth
Key View
• Ecuador's economic growth will slow in 2019, as President Lenín Moreno reduces public spending to rein in a wide fiscal deficit.
• Public cuts will primarily come from capital expenditure and the public sector wage bill, which will undermine consumption and investment.
• We at Fitch Solutions forecast real GDP growth to slow to 0.8% y-o-y in 2019, from an estimated 1.4% in 2018.

Public spending cutbacks will weigh heavily on real GDP growth in the coming quarters. The Ecuadorian government will make significant spending reductions in 2019 to addressa significant budget deficit, growing debt load and rising borrowing costs (see 'Ecuador Will
Require Substantial External Financing In 2019', January 8).
In recent months, Moreno has included a 22.0% reduction in capital expenditure in the2019 budget and announced ministry closures, the shuttering of several state-owned enterprises and the removal of some subsidies.

Additionally, Ecuador is looking increasingly likely to pursue financing assistance from the International Monetary Fund, which will likely
come with further austerity requirements. While these measures will help to improve fiscal sustainability, they will also weigh heavily
on public consumption and investment, and indirectly on private consumption. Consumer expectations for future conditions fell to 39.1 in November 2018, the lowest level since November 2016 and a sharp divergence from confidence in current conditions at 46.2 that
same month. As a result, we forecast real GDP growth to slow to 0.8% y-o-y in 2019, from 1.4% in 2018 and 3.1% in 2017.

Investment will likely remain weak over the coming quarters, despite Moreno's efforts to attract foreign firms. A lack of investment has been a major impediment to growth in recent years, with gross fixed capital formation contracting in nine consecutive quarters through Q217, the latest data available. With public sector cuts focused on capital expenditures, we expect investment will remain weak in the coming years, despite some multilateral funding support for key projects, such as the Quito Metro. Additionally, pro-business policy reforms implemented by the Moreno administration,including tax reductions and changes to extractive sector regulations, will likely take time to improve foreign investor sentiment, which remains poor following a decade of leftist, nationalist economic policies. A weak growth outlook over the near term is also likely to deter would-be investors.

Provided by Fitch Solutions

Give it up dude.

In contrast to Panamas projected growth rate:  https://www.centralamericadata.com/en/s … Outlook%22
and Colombias:  http://www.financecolombia.com/imf-colo … h-in-2019/
It would appear that  both Panama and Colombia will be in far better shape this year and next than pobrecito Ecuador........Too bad........I wish the best for Ecuador....I like the country a lot.........

Huh?

dumluk wrote:

In contrast to Panamas projected growth rate:  https://www.centralamericadata.com/en/s … Outlook%22
It would appear that  both Panama and Colombia will be in far better shape this year and next than pobrecito Ecuador........Too bad........I wish the best for Ecuador....I like the country a lot.........

Yeah, numbers look much better for Colombia and Panama, without either the debt risk or political uncertainty. Ecuador has a long way to struggle in returning from the triple whammy of the oil price drop + earthquake + strong US$, against the backdrop of a huge debt load. Still, it can be done, but it will take aggressive economic policies and I just don't see any candidate out there right now that has the interest of the people, ahead of their own political ambitions. That's what it would take.

dumluk wrote:

If we think about it, a bad economy is inconsequential for expat retirees. For example:, in Quito some of the best areas in the city have much cheaper rent compared to the oil boom years. I posted an article stating such somewhere on this forum.

An economic issue that is relevant to retirees is inflation, and Ecuador's inflation is the lowest in all of Latin America. It's actually close to 0%. It's reassuring for retirees who have fixed incomes to know that inflation remains low. 

Another important development is that the 5% exit tax on money over $5,000 will be phased out in 4 years. This is actually a major development and a significant improvement that should not be underestimated as it can save expats a lot of money if for whatever reason they wish to send their money outside of Ecuador.
Source

Just some insight to share with other expats about issues in Ecuador that really matter to expats.

vsimple wrote:
dumluk wrote:

If we think about it, a bad economy is inconsequential for expat retirees. For example:, in Quito some of the best areas in the city have much cheaper rent compared to the oil boom years. I posted an article stating such somewhere on this forum.

An economic issue that is relevant to retirees is inflation, and Ecuador's inflation is the lowest in all of Latin America. It's actually close to 0%. It's reassuring for retirees who have fixed incomes to know that inflation remains low. 

Another important development is that the 5% exit tax on money over $5,000 will be phased out in 4 years. This is actually a major development and a significant improvement that should not be underestimated as it can save expats a lot of money if for whatever reason they wish to send their money outside of Ecuador.
Source

Just some insight to share with other expats about issues in Ecuador that really matter to expats.

Appreciate the observations. I would suggest that a bad economy has an impact on all who reside within a country. Especially so, if the country sentiment of disaffection turns against the Expat influence. While admittedly in Latin America, only Cuba and Nicaragua have ever reached such extremes, the expropriation of foreign assets has a long history on a global basis. Also, an alternative perspective on Ecuador's inflation is that it is indeed suppressed, because economic growth and consumerism are both moribund. Whether such a dearth of economic activity can be viewed as favorable for Expats will only be revealed by the passage of time. I am not as optimistic as you.

HGQ2112 wrote:

While admittedly in Latin America, only Cuba and Nicaragua have ever reached such extremes, the expropriation of foreign assets has a long history on a global basis.

Venezuela has reached such an extreme, more than Nicaragua, and just about as bad as Cuba.  At least in Venezuela, the people can and do leave by the millions just by walking to neighboring countries - in Cuba it is more difficult and dangerous.

Both Bolivia and Argentina have nationalized several Spanish companies.

An interesting list by country of nationalizations is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_n … by_country

In most cases, "nationalization" is a polite term for legalized theft, when the state takes ownership or control of private assets and companies, by force or by fiat.  Usually the private entities have no choice.

OsageArcher wrote:
HGQ2112 wrote:

While admittedly in Latin America, only Cuba and Nicaragua have ever reached such extremes, the expropriation of foreign assets has a long history on a global basis.

Venezuela has reached such an extreme, more than Nicaragua, and just about as bad as Cuba.

Both Bolivia and Argentina have nationalized several Spanish companies.

An interesting list by country of nationalizations is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_n … by_country

In most cases, "nationalization" is a polite term for legalized theft, when the state takes ownership or control of private assets and companies, by force or by fiat.  Usually the private entities have no choice.

I admit it is a wee bit of splitting hairs ... a point perhaps more of semantics. But Nicaragua and Cuba both expropriated residential real estate from expats and domestic populace alike. Venezuela has nationalized large corporate assets. Condemning both ... and condoning neither, but the distinction I offered was the expropriation of residential real estate.

Foreign assets was the term you used.

Yes ... and residential real estate is a foreign asset. I was presuming very few, if any, of our readership here was holding on to a large, Chevron-sized oil refinery, for example. Now ... who knows, I could be wrong. Hence my comment about yeah ... maybe I split hairs a bit. I am comfortable throwing Venezuela on the list, just so long as we all understand that they deviate from Cuba and Nicaragua in that they have thus far limited expropriation to commercial assets of large firms. Though, why am I sensing that if Maduro stays in power much longer, this could change ... for the worse.

We strayed quite a bit on this thread. A lot of opinionated info, and a lot of BS. I don't even know if this thread is salvageable (considering that the topic is “How has Ecuador been improving). The reality is there have been many improvements that have probably been drowned in this thread including:

cars costing less (much less)
to chocolate tasting better
to beer tasting better
to Internet service improving
to cheaper Internet phone plans
to an exit tax on money being sent outside of Ecuador being phased out

And tonight I add 1 more

More airlines will fly into Ecuador, this means more routes, and hopefully cheaper prices. I know Guayaquil is trying to lure Ryan Air to be a hub in South America, if that happens, then wow!

That is a lot of improvement that impacts expats directly.

As an expat living in Ecuador, these improvements are directly improving my life. That's what I care about most as an expat.

Everything else like the state of the economy is secondary because economies change, and sometimes they do well and at other times they are doing bad.

As an expat, that is not my concern. What's important to me is the direction that the country I chose to retire in is doing. Cheaper cars, better chocolate, better beer, better internet and now more flights is something that I value as an expat.

Ryan Air is a good thing?

Yes, the more airlines usually means lower cost and more choices.