How has Ecuador been improving?

vsimple wrote:
OsageArcher wrote:
vsimple wrote:

Experts estimate there are more than 2.5 million firearms in Colombia. That's a staggering number of guns on the streets of Colombia.

I would just point out that 2.5 million firearms in a country of about 50 million is not that much - that's just one firearm for every 20 people - the USA by comparison has more firearms than people!

https://www.google.com/search?q=us+numb … p;ie=UTF-8

Clearly, the number of firearms per se is not what makes a culture violent or non-violent - the USA with almost 400 million firearms just in civilian hands, is generally safer than Colombia (although there are US cities that are just about as bad, or even worse!).

I get what you're saying OsageArcher. But, this thread has become more or less Ecuador vs Colombia.

So, with this in mind. Let's look at some of the gun violence statistics in Colombia.

According to the International Red Cross, 301,900 Colombian victims attributed to armed groups from 2013-2017. Most of these victims (97%) were displaced others were either abused sexually or physically, robbed or threatened. And as you already know, this kind of violence still exists today as 150 Colombian families, just this week, fled Colombia to Ecuador because of armed violence between two groups. 

There is no parallel to this level of armed violence in Ecuador.

Not true. I already posted stats on robbery, with citation in this thread, showing it worse in Ecuador than Colombia. Already posted and cited. Fact: The only major crime stat in which Colombia ranks worse is notably homicide. Ecuador ranks worse in every other major reported crime stat.

I am glad you told us you are shaking it. An empty vessel makes no noise when shaken.

Ecuador's New Economic Plan Explained
March 21, 2019

Sounds like improvements to me

"Ecuador has made substantial gains in reducing poverty over the past two decades since the country adopted dollarization. The percentage of the population living below the national poverty line has fallen from 64.4 percent in 2000 to 21.5 percent in 2017 and the share of the population living below US$1.90 a day fell from 28.2 percent in 2000 to 3.6 percent in 2016. "

https://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/20 … -Explained