Sending and receiving packages in the USA

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in the USA?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in the USA?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Most of the people use public post office and there's a post office almost every city in USA. Cost money depending of what you shipping and where you shipping to, post office workers will tell you more details about that staff. But what i know is package delivered to the local post and the post will send you small letter to your apartment or your physical address and  that letter tells you have some items in the local post, so you have to go get it but there charge for that or taxes i believe so.

Priscilla wrote:

How easy is it to send and receive packages in the USA?

Very easy.

Priscilla wrote:

Is the public postal system efficient?

They could be better, but as far as packages go, they're efficient enough.

Priscilla wrote:

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

From one individual to another, the majority of people use the postal system because it's the least expensive.  For online purchase, it's up to the company to use whichever shipping services they prefer.

Priscilla wrote:

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

Depends on the weight of the package, the distance it has to travel, the speed of transportation, and the company's policy.  Amazon Prime, for instance, doesn't charge shipping fee.

Priscilla wrote:

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in the USA?

There are many factors that affect the time.  Last April, I ordered skincare from France to deliver to my daughter in Connecticut, the company used regular International DHL and it took 3 days.  My clothing orders from England usually arrived in California in one week (that particular company used the post office for shipping.)

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Not if the value of the merchandise is below a certain amount and it's for personal use.  My order was €125 and no custom duties were charged.  When I still lived in the States, I ordered clothing and tea from the UK and France regularly for decades, and never had to pay anything to receive them, whether they were sent by mail or couriers.

Priscilla wrote:

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Always to your doorstep (or to an on-site locker if you live in an apartment complex.)  The only time you have to collect them is if the packages require signature and you were not home to sign for them.  Even in those cases, the Post Office or the couriers would always make a second attempt to deliver on the following business day.  You only have to retrieve them at the Post Office or courier's office if both attempts were made unsuccessfully.

Hi,
Unfortunately, I didn't get any packages from back home. However, the public postal service in USA is incredibly reliable and the service is very good. You will definitely get all those packages at your doorstep but if you missed any, you might have to go the nearby post office.
When you send packages abroad, you may use ups, DHL more often than the post service but if you want to use the postal service, they do have good services as well. The amount that you need to pay depends on the weight of the packages ,the destination  and how urgent it is for the item to be delivered. Within the USA, if you want to send any packages, the postal services are reliable and cheaper options. You may even send your signed check to someone if you want.
Hopefully, that answers some of your queries. I am sorry that I couldn't answer all your queries.
Dead Soul.

Hello Priscilla
I am sorry but I can't help you as I just moved to the US 2 month ago .... I have been using fedex before in an other country to send package back home and my family had to pay something when they received it ... it depends on the items and the place where they live.
Hope that's help a little
Nanou