Sending and receiving packages in India

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in India?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in India?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

For sending anything of value from India, I use SpeedPost. It's generally fast and efficient and reliable and worth the extra cost. I've sent many tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff that way over the years, and it always arrived safely. Registered post should also be OK, and in some case it's probably better because you can't insure Speedpost parcels. For some reason, the rates from other countries to India are much, much higher.

That said, I'm in the middle of the first problem I've ever had with Speedpost—some medicine sent from Delhi to Nepal somehow ended up in Chicago! Now, after two weeks, it's back in Delhi and supposedly on the way to Nepal. It's not lost, but this is annoying and really surprising.

Good packing is essential. Anything sent in, out or within India needs to be securely packed. Stitching parcels in cloth is not mandatory anymore, but it's still a pretty good way to pack parcels. However, the stitches need to be secured, either with sealing wax or glue dripped along the seams or both. If not secure, stitches can be upicked and items removed. I had this happen to me once.

For letters, I always cover them all around with clear packing tape, leaving room at the top right for the stamps, which they won't put over the tape. My strategy for parcels is pretty much the same. I use quite a lot of tape to make it a hassle to open, and impossible to open without it being obvious.

Getting things sent to India is much more expensive, risky and complicated. In many places, delivery is anything but automatic. You may need to track your package to know when you have to go and pick it up. You will have to pay duty on anything coming in, and possibly a bribe, as well. I've never had to do that, but have heard of others who did.

Hie
Your information was very helpful to me
Because I want to send something hone from india
So through speed post who pays between sender or receiver.

Indian Postal Service's 'Speed Post' works.

In addition, most cities have private couriers that specialize in safe & secure shipments to various countries. I have seen people sending eatables, medicines to their dear ones outside India.

Plus you always have FedEx, DHL, DTDC, First Flight and so on