Remember human dignity

Hi all, I'm an expat here in Croatia for nearly 20 years already - love it, obviously or I never would have stayed so long.

As 18 November was Remembrance Day, I want to mention the tragic  Vukovar and Skrabnja massacres which truly affect all civilians. We Americans have been fortunate to not experience war in our front yards, so to speak, except for the Revolutionary war of 1776.

Just think how people were tortured and murdered - by renegade squads - based on their ethnicity (Croat or Muslim). Of course, no one has control over such things. Birth is a lottery - we come out exactly as we are.

As expats, I think we need to be good guests, offering support as appropriate and certainly respect for the not too distant loss of life which affects the survivors (ie so called “survival guilt” in other words why was my life spared) and other social phenomena following the war, including Post traumatic stress syndrome, alcoholism and other social ills which need to be remedied.

In times of war, it is most often women and children who suffer the most. The key is to highly encourage respect for the individual's limitless potential beyond labels of nationalism.

Respectfully submitted,
Anastasia

Thank you for a great post Anastasia

Thank you, Anastasia. I'm reading from Sarajevo at the moment and your words couldn't be truer.

Thank you, Anastasia. I spent several years in Croatia and Bosnia during the war, I remember the tragedies. It is wonderful to know that somebody as sensitive as you represents America. We will be moving to Zagreb (retiring there) in a few months. I hope to find more terrific expats like you over there!
Thank you again