Importing a dog to PR from Asia: requesting help and information

Hello!
I and my dog Lucy will be moving to PR in the Spring of 2019. I think I have found all the regulations. But now I need to get a plane ticket. Has anyone had good experiences with a particular airline? And advice about which airport to transfer through? (there are no direct flights from Kuala Lumpur to PR, so I have to stop somewhere. The last time I went through JFK and I don't like the idea of going through that mess with a crated dog!)
Thanks in advance for any tips you might have!
Shannon

We brought our two dogs, from Arizona to Puerto Rico, However we drove to Jacksonville Florida first  then took a flight over to Puerto Rico, where we had our belongings shipped from Jacksonville, our two dogs are very small, a Chihuahua and a Yorky, we had them in small carriers right under our seats,  they need a health certificate by a Vet,  and all shots up to date. Check with your airline carrier for additional information

Thanks! I'd love it if my dog could sit next to me on the flight. But she is too big!

Which airline did you you and were you happy with the service?

I think it was American, But I can't be certain I can't remember, We had no problems at all

I would consider giving your dog a break and having the dog a day or two run around in the US before another crated trip to PR. Just saying.

Thanks, Ray! It is part of the plan: once we arrive in the States, we'll stay for a couple of days before the next flight. It's such a horrendous flight, I can't imagine putting my dog through the second flight without a break!

I'm going to use American Airlines as it's the only airline with a direct flight from Dallas to PR. Avoid any flights with transfers. That's where the complications occur.

We drove our car from Massachusetts to Florida to drop it off at the port and also to have a short, no connections flight for my lap dog, lets stress for my baby and she enjoyed the road trip.

Wildane Kennels ( www.wildane.com ) in PR specializes in shipping dogs internationally.  They were originally founded to help US Service personnel move their pets to and from the island.  We used them a few years ago on a complicated move and they were extremely knowledgeable and professional.

If anyone knows how to do it, they do.

Hello! Thanks for the info! I finally got tickets that will get us to JFK. Now I am looking into tickets from JFK to Puerto Rico. I'd like to go on American, because they have a good reputation for dogs. But there is no direct flight. I am still looking for flights, but I might have to bite the bullet and go for one stopover.

I did consider driving from New York to Miami to get a direct flight, but with the jet lag, I don't dare drive for a few days after landing. It would be a great option if I could count on my brain working!

I can definitely use this information! I have contacted a few agents from here and am only getting flaky answers about the PR leg of the journey. Thanks a lot!

There are restrictions as to temperature when shipping a dog in a crate and not in the cabin. Basically the dog can not land when temperatures are too high. They typically arrive in the early hours of morning and may be delayed on occasion due to temperatures. You will need to pickup your dog in a different part of the airport. Using an agency like above may work well for you but check them that they have not lost any animals. Either way your dog is not likely to be in the same flight as you if not in the cabbing with you.

I don't know how large your dog is, but if it is under 20 lbs Jet Blue will let it ride with you in the cabin for $100.