Pension abroad

Dear sir/madam,
I'm keuppens jack, living and working in Belgium,  when I'm retiring i would like to live in england, what is the process about my pension and healh care ?
Thanks in advance for any reply...
Jack.

Hi Jack and welcome to the Forum.

As it stands (pre-Brexit), no problem, as an EU citizen you have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU and that currently includes the UK.

Once the UK leaves the EU, who knows, but you probably will no longer be able to do it; mainly because you will need a visa and the UK no longer issues retirement visas, so you could only come to live in the UK to work, which is by definition a temporary visa and you'd have to go back at the end.

Should you be able to live in the UK, you will be assessed for tax in the UK for the rest of your worldwide income; there is a double taxation agreement in place between the UK and Belgium, so assuming your pension is assessed for tax in Belgium, you won't be assessed in the UK on that pension.

Healthcare - I'm not sure of the exact process in Belgium, but there is an EU procedure that deals with this; the end of which is an S1 Form that is issued by your own (Belgian) government and entitles you to exactly the same as a citizen of the country you are living in, which in the UK is the NHS and is free at the point of delivery (there are some things that nobody gets for free, but I'm not going into detail here, you can find it on the Internet should you need to know).  If the UK does leave the EU, then you will need to pay for Healthcare (currently £200 p/person, p/year).

Hope this helps.

Groetjes

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks alot,  this is already a great help  !