Access to US media and books

Hello, I am thinking about spending time in Chengdu next year and am wondering about the expat community there. Is there a sizable Western population in the city?
Also, will I have the ability to stream any US television on Netflix, Amazon, etc? Are there bookstores and magazines in English available for public consumption?
Thank you so much for your input.
Matthew

So, if I understand this correctly, you want to move to China but still be wired to Western entertainment sources, software, news and social media. Is that correct?

Then why move?

You move to a new nation to change; to adapt to their culture. You move for life opportunities, learning and to enhance your life. many people cannot adapt. They miss their Facebook. They miss You-tube and using Google. They want to watch CNN, and read WaPo.

If you are planning to move, then MOVE and do not look back.

Yes, you can get Netflix in China. But why use it? You pay for each movie. Yet in China, most Western movies are free. You subscribe to a movie service that might run you $5 / year for unlimited free movies. I subscribe to two such services IQIYI, and another one.

Why use facebook when there is WeChat and QQ? The Chinese versions are much bigger, with more capability, and faster speeds. Not to mention that the American CIA and NSA won't be monitoring and recording your activity.

OK. Anyways... Most expats still stay connected to social media. Eventually we wean ourselves away. What you cannot get, like Pinterest or Tumblr, for instance, you can easily get using a VPN. It is not difficult at all.

Yes, all Chinese bookstores have a section where there are books in English. You do know that a sizable proportion of Chinese speak English with various levels of proficiency. However, you will not get what you might be interested in. For really specific books I usually order on line. You can have the books shipped to you without too much problem.

I have a series of posts that are designed for people like you who are intending on moving to China. It's part of my "Learning about China by looking at Pretty Girls" series. LOL. You get to understand what China is by looking at the micro-videos that the Chinese take of themselves. You can read the first post HERE.

In any event, Chengdu is a great city. I personally love sichuan and the food there. My stomach isn't teflon, so I can only eat it in small amounts, but then I am pretty old. A young buck like yourself wouldn't have any problems.

Come on over, I am sure that you, like myself, will be able to say that your move to China was the best decision that you have ever made.

Hello,
Thank you for this very thoughtful and lengthy response. This is just the kind of information I was looking for, and I appreciate the effort it took to write this email. Just to be clear, I'm not planning to move to China, rather I'm considering spending a length of time there in 2019 in order to see if I would consider spending half the year, each year, over the next decade.

I checked out your link to short videos and was reminded of the time I have spent in China over the last 3 years. The transition to western culture is occurring at an alarmingly rapid pace- much faster than I would ever have imagined. These young women in China are moving away from the conservative norms of their parents. I can only imagine what strife that might be creating at home.

Thanks again. I will respond with more feedback after I have a chance to digest all of your advice.

Matthew