Recent History of Slovenia -- 1970/1980s

Dober Dan

Wouter from Cape Town. We bought a little vineyard in Globoka, with a tiny "summer cottage". Been there a few times, fixing the place up, drinking lots of wine... you know how it goes.

I would like to chat to someone (offline, I think) about the history of Slovenia around 1980. I'm trying to understand the social political changes at the time, so anybody who lived through those times and who has more English than I have Slovenian would be able to help :-)

Hvala

W

Hello,  and I was last year  close  to a border with South  Africa  (Namibia, Botswana ,Zimbabwe) and  I was enchanted by beauty  .....I  am yugoslavian generation  or in short  'tito's  youth'  ...I will try to describe you through my view.... or  better to say   my thruth.  So what exactly would  you like to know ? 
And  I wear  last name of  one of best white wines   :)   

regards    Irena

Hi. I see Burja is on the other side of the country, I havn't been out there yet. We tend to drink a whole lot of šipon and Jeruzalemčan, and Refošk when we feel like red -- that's what the local Jager carries anyway. Will keep an eye open for the Burja ;-)

Anyway. I was told that in the mid? seventies things changed in such a way that people ended up working less (fewer hours per day) and that they (some people only?) had disposable income. Many people then decided to buy a small piece of land and to build a little cottage on it. Ours is one of these, built in 81.

Now it seems that things are back to "normal" and that people are selling these places off, which is how we got hold of ours.

I'd like to know what the social and political (or maybe that should be political and social) changes were  and whether things really happened like this.

This isn't really relevant to the expat scene, so we should maybe take the discussion offline, dunno?

Thanks

W

(And regarding South Africa. Yes, it's a beautiful place. We're off to the Kruger National Park again at the end of next month. If you can fly here for as cheaply as we can fly there you should definitely come visit).

Hi ,thanks ror reply ..there is no place  like Burja   in slovenia , but  we  have  wind  Burja  which is  characteristic  for west  area of  slovenia called  'Kras'   and it is wineyard  area  with Goriška Brda at north west   green area with mild clime  and many hiils  reaminds on italian Toscana .  Kras  reminds me on  French Provansa   covered fully with wineyards.
Or you just kidding with me   changed my nick name  from Birja to  Burja ( wind )?

About  living in Yugoslavia  .....yes  we had before 42  hours working week,   they shorten to 40 hours  per week  which is still in use also in  slovenia  nowdays
We worked 8 hours per day on Mon. Tue, Thurs+ Friday at Wednesday we worked  10 hours.   Now we work each day  8 hours daily . This is  shcediale   for office working . In factories  was and it  is  diferent  they work   all day   in 3  working exchange.

In seventies  and  eighties life was much different , we lived in socializem.  Of course i couldn't buy a mercedes like today but  all  others things were much more cheap  and may peopl built their own houses.  You  have to take in account that after 2. world war we had  enforced  'industrialization'  which  pushed  farmers to cities and   factories  ...so many people  still had land  and  occasion to build  their own houses..... having  its own house  its a dream of  average slovenian.

Agree  please  add me to  contacts   to give  you more info   ...

In fact it  is not like you imagine all scene   here  ...but I  will explain you later. 

I have in plan  yes to  visit kruger   but I was  little  disapointed on african national park which seems to  as big   ZOO  parks  , saw  so many  tourists in Etosha and Okawango  and Chobe  park  felt  like  jailed  wilderness..  and I saw just one wild lion in Chobe   and  3 in Etosha  but  very far .... 

In fact flights are not expensive  , what made my visit expensive in africa  is hiring   jeep  , without  jeep  you  can' t travel around    and  roads are   really adventurares   it is like rally  Paris - Dakar ... ok  enough for today     pijazen pozdrav   od burjaste  primorke  Irene

Birja didn't come up on Google. Burja did, pointing at the Koper side of Slovenia. I didn't look into it much more than that :-)

Yea the places are popular with plenty tourists if you go at the wrong time. But you still have to find the animals, as you said... far away. Not the same as a zoo.

http://www.retro.co.za/blog/?p=3666http://www.retro.co.za/blog/?p=3589

Many more pics if you scratch around a bit :-)