Best place to shop for safe foods?

Hello Everyone,

In a few years I'm planning to relocate to Lipa City, Batangas.  Wondering what and where the best  place to shop for safe, clean foods?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Most open markets are pretty good but for sanitary conditions as presented in stores back home I'd suggest the grocery stores in large shopping malls. After you are here for a while you'll locate smaller stores and shops that will meet your needs also.
For meats we use the open public markets without ever a problem. Also a good meat store is to find a local branch of Fresh Options. Good quality meats and not too expensive.

Best Of Luck

Thanks for the response.  One of the reason I would prefer the local grown, farmer markets because I heard a lot of agriculture foods sold in formal grocery stores are now imported from China.  As we all know Chinese foods are problematic for numerous reasons.  So yes, at first we'll look everywhere to see how things appear.

Peter2022 wrote:

Thanks for the response.  One of the reason I would prefer the local grown, farmer markets because I heard a lot of agriculture foods sold in formal grocery stores are now imported from China.  As we all know Chinese foods are problematic for numerous reasons.  So yes, at first we'll look everywhere to see how things appear.

As you may or may not know, the groundwater in the Philippines is not potable unless purified or boiled long enough to be pure.
As a result vegetables and fruits grown at or close to ground level have to potential to make you sick as will drinking the untreated water. In this case, some produce imported would be a safer bet but even in the large grocery stores there is no way to tell where it is from.

Hmm, that gives me another thing to worry about.  Yes, I was aware of the water problem.  Here in the states we are using a good brand water filter which is plumbed inline with the cold water.  We are going to bring this here.  So yes, I have to think about where the produce was grown.  Thanks.
Peter

I agree about imported Chinese food products. Fortunately this info is on the label which I started reading.

Peter2022 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

In a few years I'm planning to relocate to Lipa City, Batangas.  Wondering what and where the best  place to shop for safe, clean foods?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Sorry sport simply stay where you are. Oz foods are safe probably  no different to most western countries, even your own. You want safe food? Go the hard yards, taste, experience then report, or die.

Filipino food though at times boring offers "at times" interesting flavours for the day, tomorrow different. My 7 odd years of eating local cuisine has left me bored but occasionally surprised.... so clean foods, safe foods are plentiful depending on your locale and your diet, as we say boots on the ground.

Cheers, Steve

bigpearl wrote:
Peter2022 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Sorry sport simply stay where you are. Oz foods are safe probably  no different to most western countries, even your own. You want safe food? Go the hard yards, taste, experience then report, or die.

Filipino food though at times boring offers "at times" interesting flavours for the day, tomorrow different. My 7 odd years of eating local cuisine has left me bored but occasionally surprised.... so clean foods, safe foods are plentiful depending on your locale and your diet, as we say boots on the ground.

Cheers, Steve

Now ya see Steve; that's why I keep advising folks to move down our way. Plenty of good, safe eats round here. Well, at the SM and Marquee Mall anyway--Hahaha. Sorry I neglected to reply yet to your post on the other site but spotted this and just had to take the time to harass you for fun. Hope you and Bengie are both doing good. Careful lifting etc while packing for the move. Would be terrible to have to delay.

Gene

Hugs mate.

It's good to know there are labeling on foods.  But, guessing not all foods are labeled.  I'd have no problem with locally grown foods from reputable sources which are many.  Thanks.

Steve,

In the states we stick with organic and non-gmo labels.  Although not fool proof but better than nothing.  So if I can find locally grown foods or conscientiously made home foods I'll be good :-)
Thanks,
Peter

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct