TIN (tax identification number) for economic self sufficency

Hello to everyone..
I'm italian and soon i will ask residence in Malta as an economic self sufficency (form j).
I need to ask a tin (tax identification number) but actually i know that tin is ''included'' in the social security number..
If i try to ask the social security number they ask me to demostrate that i work but...i'm a self sufficency..

Other this i don't need a social security number because i have a private health insurance (needed to have a residence as a self employment)
Someone can explain me how obtain a tax identification number as a econominc self sufficiency?
Thank you very much

jpb85 wrote:

Hello to everyone..
I'm italian and soon i will ask residence in Malta as an economic self sufficency (form j).
I need to ask a tin (tax identification number) but actually i know that tin is ''included'' in the social security number..
If i try to ask the social security number they ask me to demostrate that i work but...i'm a self sufficency..

Other this i don't need a social security number because i have a private health insurance (needed to have a residence as a self employment)
Someone can explain me how obtain a tax identification number as a econominc self sufficiency?
Thank you very much

Everyone who states there intention to become resident here and apllies for an eResidence card has to also register for tax.
You can simply download a tax registration form from the Inland Revenue website, fill it in and take it in to the office. They will process it and issue you a number, if you have already done residence this will probably be the same as your eID number. (mine is)
You then have to complete an annual tax return, usually by the end of June each year. This is usually posted to you in early June.

One thing in your post, you say you 'needed to have a residence as self employment' but you can't be both self employed and self sufficient - you either are one or the other and if you are self employed you will have to have a social security number even if you have private health insurance you still have to pay NI contributions!

Hi, sorry yesterday i have done an error, i mean that my residence will be for self economic sufficient and not self employment. Actually first step will be tax identification number and second will be residence. Can you give me the link of inland revenue? Because actually (in the past was different) to have tax number (before residence)  i see that i have to ask social security number (but that ask me proof of work).
Thank you

Why not search Inland Revenue Malta and you should find the forms you need or go to the tax office.

If you take up employment or self-employment, ensure, from the very beginning, that you are NOT charged the much higher income Tax Rates for Non Residents - please see:

Tax Rates for Basis Year 2018:

https://cfr.gov.mt/en/inlandrevenue/per … -2018.aspx

Tax Rates for Non Residents:

https://cfr.gov.mt/en/inlandrevenue/per … dents.aspx

You can only get a tin number if you are employed. If you are coming as a self sufficient you do not need one .hope this is helpful to you

marialangley wrote:

You can only get a tin number if you are employed. If you are coming as a self sufficient you do not need one .hope this is helpful to you

I'm self sufficient and I have a TIN.  Basically if you have any income you need one.

marialangley wrote:

It's the law you have to register for tax whether you need to pay or not.

marialangley wrote:

Totally incorrect, everyone who registers as resident also has to register for tax purposes and has a tax number.

Ray