BANKING

Hello:

My question is a simple one regarding banking.   

I have 2 conti correnti..in 2 different  banks in Italy.    I have need of an official  bank check  (we call them Cashier's checks in the USA)  denominated in USD.    This is because I want to send a donation to a Library in the USA.    Both banks have told me that  " It is not possible" .  That is ridiculous.  Most banks around the world (Lonson, Paris, New York et.al )   have the capability to issue checks denominated in any currency.   Can someone help with this ?   

Thank you!!!

Wouldn't it be better if you could do a bank transfer? Get the bank details you wish to send the money to?

The charitable group at the Library to which I want to give the donation doesn't  have that capability...or else they don't want to expose their bank info...I don't know.   It's a Library..they accept checks  or cash...period.   That is not the issue.   Why in Italy  can't a person get a simple Cashier's check denominated in whatever world currency ?     We are a global economy...banks in every country  are able to  issue checks in any currency.  It's a normal procedure.  The bank in Italy was offensive..telling me that the USA should not require checks denominated in dollars.  Yet ANOTHER  example of the hatred I've experienced in  Italy against America.   I've  have Cashier's checks issued in  foreign currency  by banks   in London, Paris,  New York  etc..etc.  WHY are Italian banks so hopelessly  backwards??

horseman2012 wrote:

The charitable group at the Library to which I want to give the donation doesn't  have that capability...or else they don't want to expose their bank info...I don't know.   It's a Library..they accept checks  or cash...period.   That is not the issue.   Why in Italy  can't a person get a simple Cashier's check denominated in whatever world currency ?     We are a global economy...banks in every country  are able to  issue checks in any currency.  It's a normal procedure.  The bank in Italy was offensive..telling me that the USA should not require checks denominated in dollars.  Yet ANOTHER  example of the hatred I've experienced in  Italy against America.   I've  have Cashier's checks issued in  foreign currency  by banks   in London, Paris,  New York  etc..etc.  WHY are Italian banks so hopelessly  backwards??

Cheques (Checks) are a becoming lest less used (even in the UK) in Europe. Everything is done by electronic banking. Maybe you should suggest to [the library] to set up a Paypal account?

This is nothing against America at all, this is how things are in EUROPE. If the party you want to send money to and won't give bank details to transfer money I would be asking WHY?

I beg to differ.   It is the  Public Library in my city in Massachusetts and they do receive international checks denominated in USD from  others.   It is not our place to question their policy.      Banks in Europe,  i.e.  London, Edinburgh,  Paris,  Frankfort....as well as in  New  York , Boston..Montreal etc...issue checks denominated in whatever foreign currency is required...i.e euros,  even in Chinese currency.   I have personally done so.   It is  standard procedure.      The fault lies with   this uninformed, backwards, anti-American  bank in ITALY which does not understand international transactions.

I know that about 20 years ago when I worked in Switzerland that was the only country that accepted accounts and transactions in different currencies. Things may have changed now for other countries. I also know that I cannot get a check in euro here in the US where my banks are Citi and Chase ( but I can do wire transfers) So , I am not which bank in the US would issue a check in another currency. The big question as an expat is why have you not kept a US bank account

Well... I've made some inquiries and have learned that ,  among others,
HSBC in the USA, London, etc.  issue checks denominated in foreign currency...as does Union Bank of Switzerland.   I have a friend who had to send a Cashier's Check from the USA to Europe for a deposit on an apartment rental and the owner  of the apartment demanded a check denominated in euros.  HSBC in the US  did it..no charge.     Most banks, even the small ones, have arrangements in place these days to issue and clear their foreign currency drafts through one of the large international banks such as Chase, Citibank etc.   I've spoken with a small bank in Mass. and they told me that they will do so , via their International Bank correspondent.   For security reasons. many individuals  and small businesses do not want   to reveal their bank account numbers and details, which is perfectly understandable.    I've come to the conclusion that,  at least my bank in Italy..(along with most of the country)..is 50 years behind the times...and..at least at my bank, ..disgracefully anti-American.  I am  relaying only my personal experiences and those of some American friends who visited.

SimCityAT wrote:
horseman2012 wrote:

Cheques (Checks) are a becoming lest less used (even in the UK) in Europe. Everything is done by electronic banking. Maybe you should suggest to [the library] to set up a Paypal account?

This is nothing against America at all, this is how things are in EUROPE. If the party you want to send money to and won't give bank details to transfer money I would be asking WHY?

SimCityAT.

Many individuals and small businesses,  libraries etc.  do not give out their private bank info for security reasons,  perfectly understandable.   The question is NOT  WHY those folks will not reveal their bank details.....The question is WHY are Italian banks so backwards and anti-American that they "claim"
to have no idea how to effect  a simple international Cashier's Check denominated in a foreign currency!!??  It is a simple , common procedure in other countries.

Thank you for the info. I do indirectly have  an HSBC account and I could you use in the future for similar transactions. I don't think they are 50 years behind . It's the bureaucracy.

horseman2012 wrote:

I beg to differ.

I am sorry but this is the way it is.

SimCityAT wrote:
horseman2012 wrote:

I beg to differ.

I am sorry but this is the way it is.

With all due respect,  it is  unconscionable and reprehensible that the  Italian banks refuse to learn how to effect a simple international transaction.

nicog1 wrote:

Thank you for the info. I do indirectly have  an HSBC account and I could you use in the future for similar transactions. I don't think they are 50 years behind . It's the bureaucracy.

It is high time that these people in Italy "unbureaucratized "  themselves.

Don't see what the problem is; just did a quick Google search and many Italian banks offer Bankers Cheques service.

Cynic wrote:

Don't see what the problem is; just did a quick Google search and many Italian banks offer Bankers Cheques service.

Could you tell me please which ones?  Do you mean  that  they offer the Cashier's checks denominated in US Dollars?  The banks to which I was referring do so only in euros.

horseman2012 wrote:
Cynic wrote:

Could you tell me please which ones?  Do you mean  that  they offer the Cashier's checks denominated in US Dollars?  The banks to which I was referring do so only in euros.

La Banca D'Italia was one of them.

Thank you.    I'll  try them.