Dealing with loneliness in Sri Lanka

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to Sri Lanka?

How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?

Is it easy to expand or create a social network in Sri Lanka?

Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

It's really tough to deal with loneliness when you are in a beautiful country like Sri Lanka. Everytime when you come back to your home after hectic day in office, walls are only there to talk with ☹️. Well, the only way I found to deal with loneliness is to go to a restaurant situated on a beach, have some beer and devilled chicken come back and sleep. That's the only way I found. In addition, Sri Lankan people are mostly reserved kind of, not ready to get mingled with other cultures except Sri Lankan. It's very surprising behaviour I have seen in them which they exhibit at the end of the day when full day they have been treating you as one of their close companions. It's true both for Sri Lankan males and females. Maybe it's because of their preoccupied thoughts that's other cultures are not good or upto their expectations.

I agree with Goelmanish11 that is indeed tough to deal with loneliness in such a beautiful country.
I must say that I am fortunate to have a Sri Lankan husband to address the language issue that I continue to have. This is solely on me, and for whatever the reason, I have not grasped it. Therefore, I'm not a part of many conversations.
I know that many SriLankans do not want to associate with me, simply because I am a white woman and an American, which has always been a bad thing, since white American women are stereotyped as having no culture, morals, and being bold.
That being said, the people that get to know me, learn that it is not true of all of us. The SriLankans that I know of that speak English do not completely understand me, nor do I completely understand them. Again, it's the language & culture thing.
I try to live my life the best I can and continue to show them that I am a good person for a friend, just different.
Believe it or not, social media & self education is extremely helpful. Beyond that, I rely on my husband for everything, and he is amazing with that.
Funny thing is that as with many things, we adjust, even at my age!!