Sense of humour in Sri Lanka

Hello everyone,

Should we set out to explore Sri lankan's culture through its sense of humour? Indeed, if one is planning to settle in the country, it is best to understand the cultural codes governing humour in order to avoid any faux-pas.

What is special about the sense of humour in Sri Lanka?

Is it acceptable to joke about any situations?

What is typically funny and what is absolutely not funny?

Are there any popular comedians in Sri Lanka and how would one be able to discover them (stand-up shows, festivals, internet, etc.)?

What is the funniest joke you have heard in Sri Lanka?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

I love sri lanka a beautiful country, heaven on the earth. The people of sri lanka are very respective and well mannered, they respect the visitors/ tourist. i found sri lanka very Safe in my visit i travel in train, bus safely, a person can travel without any tension. My suggestion for those who are willing to take a tour of heaven on the earth so they should visit sri lanka.

Hi Bhavna,
Being in Sri Lanka for almost 3 years, i have been through all sorts of aspects in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka is home to 4 major religions as Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. They work together to turn the country  into developed and modern era. There are 2 local languages are spoken island wide. English is spoken at every corner of the island. Technically, Sri Lankan people are decent, civilised and have great sense of humor.
They're kind of serious mood people and don't get mingled with someone unless otherwise one should get linked.
Things should be kept in mind, one shouldn't make jokes publicly and openly, never criticize government's policies, as it can land you in hot water.
Try to  be friendly and gossipy with everybody.
One can find cinema easily and can enjoy local comedians movies with English subtitle. The internet is fast and available across the island.

Hi all
       i am thinking of retiring in SL, especial after a holiday there in 2018 (feb) here is a touch of humour I encounter with some local tuk-tuk drivers. I was staying Maradna at a local hotel for the 2-week duration, the local tuk-tuk drivers would ask me for a fair. often I would say" no as i needed to walk, as I was to fat ." most of the drivers got to know me after a 2 days . one driver would come up to every day and rub my tummy and say "you are still to fat and need to walk mr John" lol rafpml still I laugh at this encounter.it was high light of my stay in SL
geelongjohn

Imagine doing that in USA, you will get hit with a harassment lawsuit :)