Your Best Fishing spot in the island

I'm wondering if any avid fisherman would be willing to share their favorite spot or story to go either fresh or saltwater fishing in Puerto Rico. I've had good offshore experience in "El bajo de Palmas" for Tuna, wahoo and you won't believe the awesome tarpon fishing in the San Juan Bay harbor. There used to be a local fishing guide that for $150, you could book a half day trip in the harbor right in front of the San Juan Coast guard station but I lost track of him. What say you?

I can't believe no one  has replied to this topic, I've been waiting for information too, I love to go fishing, but don't know where I can go, I live on the north side of the island in Vega Baja, looking for some good spots to shore fish,

The forum has a lot of old members that seem to have gone inactive, we need new blood.

True Rey,  The Facebook site seems to be doing well. Maybe that question should've been posted there.

Spencerazac wrote:

True Rey,  The Facebook site seems to be doing well. Maybe that question should've been posted there.

Good idea

We have a few shore fishermen early AM.  Sometimes it is good, but generally not so good.  But thats fishing!  :cool:

Sitka wrote:

We have a few shore fishermen early AM.  Sometimes it is good, but generally not so good.  But thats fishing!  :cool:

I figure that just having beer while bathing a worm was the whole idea.

To my surprise, I learned this morning that my wife bought me as a Father's day gift a half day trip to go tarpon fishing in the San Juan bay harbor for $179 this next Friday, June 22. I'll post results and/or pics but if the fishing is as good as it was 10 years ago, I guarantee having a blast.
It's a 4 hour trip and you briefly stop at a broken down pier with a Sabiki rig to get sardines and off you go. It's super fun!

Spencer:

I did some spearfishing with SCUBA gear around "La Cueva del Indio" in Vega Baja about 35 years ago and I caught grouper that was on average, 1.5 to 3.5 lbs. I also saw some yellow tail and barracuda among other fish. I remember experiencing very strong and uncomfortable currents. The problem with the fishing over there is the sea state and the undertow. You have huge waves crashing on the rock formation ashore and it can be not only tricky but very dangerous. In addition, you have 25 to 35 mph winds working against your cast during the day. Every two to three months, there's a guy that gets sucked up by the ocean over there.  Quite frankly, I would find it very difficult and uncomfortable to cast from one of those porous rock formations although I've seen some locals doing it but I have no idea about their success rate.

if I were to fish from shore on the north side, I would consider a fairly new and interesting technique I've seen of using a drone to take your bait out because casting on top of the rock formations with the wind pounding against you would be extremely difficult. Your best bet is to go to the fishing village in Arecibo or drive to the Club Nautico of Arecibo that I'm pretty certain you would be able to get good information on the nice spots. The north side of the island is the toughest to fish imo but if you get a good spot, just let us know.

Sounds like a blast, let us know how good you do, I wouldn't mind seeing some pics

Thanks for the info Gus, I wouldn't want to try fishing on those lava rocks either, I'll try to find some other easier spot along the north coast.

Some guys fish from the beach at my place, it's a sandy beach, no rocks.  But I don't see them catching much.

I have been told that fishing for peacock bass in the reservoirs can be good, just don't have any good information about it.   :/

I have a couple of friends in my industry that conduct most of their fishing in freshwater and their weekends are spent casting for peacock bass also known as Tucunaré. It's a community where boat size and hp is restricted due to local rules and regs but they love it. They fact find with other friends during the week to see where the bite is most prevalent to hit road early Saturday, camping out to return Sunday. I don't remember the boat size and hp restrictions required by the govt. but I'll ask them and post it here if y'all interested.

My fresh water fishing experience is non-existent but these guys know their craft. If you fish with them, they have their own spanglish terms for lures, baits and what not but don't be fooled. They're serious anglers or maybe they have a hobby to get away from their wives and chores for a while.  :D

If there's anyone from the Ceiba, Humacao area, I've heard there's a snook run in the DRNA reserve right next to the public beach. You need a kayak and I don't know if you can still rent one after hurricane Maria. I drove there once to scout the area and it's a beautiful place but take plenty of mosquito repellent. No-see-ums (sand skeeters) all over the place at least in the walking area. There's a walkway to the beach so take your camera. There are a couple of videos in youtube about that beautiful place.  "Pesca de Robalo y peleas de Sabalitos en la Reserva Natural de Humacao"

BTW, I've used the Rapalla Shallow Shad rap 05-color shad for shallow water with good success. I don't believe that estuary is deep at all so a long lip will probably not work. Hope this serve useful and keep posting.

Most of the folks in the general area of Ceiba are in the facebook group.

What's the best bait to use if you're fishing from the shore, both lake and ocean?

Salt Water- You can never go wrong with squid. You can also try ballyhoo or the local brackish mullet (jarea in Spanish). Squid may be found in the local supermarket and all three in any fishing village for sale on the cheap. Your best bet is Club Nautico in Arecibo but Vega Baja should have a few places with that bait offering. You might want to consider getting a sabiki rig and catch your own "live" bait fish. Any pier will do. It's fun. You might also want to catch some blue crab (Cocolía) if you know how to do it. They're abundant in any pier in PR.

Understand that any rock formations top side are also abundant under water in front of your cast so be prepared to lose hooks. Fishing is hard but not impossible. Post your results.

Fresh water baits I don't know but I like the crank baits depending on the weather and how dark the water is. Like I stated before, I haven't done much fresh water fishing as I prefer saltwater.

Great info, thank you very much

Briefly hooked a King Mackerel in front of El Morro but he got away at the very end. Beautiful day, calm sea but nothing caught. I was shown a new fishing spot right in front of Plaza Las Americas for snook and tarpon. I might Kayak my way in there at some point.

The fishing guide used a Rapalla in front of El Morro and the rest of the trip we used live sardines. There was this persistent barracuda between El Morro and the Coast Guard Station that was cutting our sardines in half but other than that, nothing. I did take pictures of El Morro.

BTW, the trip was not $179. The trip was $425. $179 was the deposit. FYI

Awesome thanks for the tip, wish you would've had better luck, next time I'm sure.

Spencer:

I had a good time to relax and get my thoughts together after a week of service calls so it wasn't a complete loss.  ;) That's another reason why I love fishing. It takes patience although I have to state that I was surprised we didn't get a good strike. It's amazing that right next to Plaza Las Americas, you have wicked snook and Tarpon. I saw the tarpon rolling all over the place. Perhaps it wasn't the time for them to feed

If we could collectively focus in jobs that are based on conservation, I'm pretty certain that Laguna Torrecilla and San Jose would be world class fishing spots creating much revenue for this island. You have houses and other projects lying right next to mangroves which exert unnecessary stress in that fragile eco-system.  Trash, refrigerators and even cars have been dumped there. However, I'm impressed that these lagunas are still alive despite the urban intervention. I know, I know it's a political nightmare to touch these communities. A political football every 4 years that no one dares to touch.

Gus, service calls? What do you do for a living? And are you talking about fishing that area right across the freeway from Plaza Las Américas, I've seen people fishing on that pier looking structure is that what you're referring to?

Spencer; I can't state what I do for a living due to TOS... and yes, right across PR52. There's less oxygen in the water on that pier looking structure you make reference to but if you follow it, it creates like a dogleg to the left that then runs somewhat parallel to PR52. I saw a boat there this past Tuesday afternoon going at it. The guide told me that he sometimes begins fishing from that pier looking structure you're speaking of, drifting and moving his way through every 20 -30 minutes, going around the dogleg, then continuing under the Kennedy Ave. bridge and on to the San Juan bay. We started fishing at the very edge of the dogleg to increase our chances as the best opportunity lies right in the middle of the canal after the dogleg. Beautiful place surrounded by all the urban activity.

I was only asking because I was an HVAC TECH Back in Arizona, and California, when I hear service calls that's immediately what I think of

I've never seen boats there, I thought maybe it might be illegal to have a boat out on that water, I bought my ski boat with me when I moved here, but I don't know where I can take it legally, and I don't know of any decent launch sites, I know unfortunately I cannot take it to any lakes Due to my motor size so it's all about the ocean I guess.

In order to operate a boat in Puerto Rico, you need to have a PR permit on it and all USCG rules apply the same as it does Stateside. Oh and yes, you can operate a boat in that canal easily. We were in a 21ft Polar, pretty beat up I might add and there was a center console similar in size with a couple fishing close to us. In fact, the AquaExpresso ferry use to operate from el "Choliseo" in Hato Rey taking folks to the old city and back and that entrance is only a fork in that canal after the dogleg I mentioned. I see boats over there all the time. You can launch from the San Juan bay marina for a fee I guess. I'd give them a call at (787) 721-8062 and fact find. Granted, ski boats are considered "wet boats" given the normal maritime conditions over here but if you stay in the San Juan bay area and its surrounding canals, you're good.  You might want to consider having it dry stacked for some time and just drive up there to do your fishing. I've heard they're pretty cheap with a 24 hr guard on station.

Great info thank you very much, I copied your post with the phone number, I have a lot of work to do to get it legal for these waters, I'm actually surprised I still have it, I thought Maria was going to dump it, but I got very lucky, I have it stored next to my home under a tent, need to do some work on it still.

As a former boat addic I have been reading this thread.  Very tempted to look at something suitable for north coast / Arecibo.

But then again, I took the cure.    :lol:

Any input you have would be greatly be appreciated, I don't know of any launching sites on the north coast that aren't beaten up, and dangerous to the launch from,  maybe that's because the seas are a lot rougher over here. Thanks Sitka.

Spencer. 

Arecibo has a boat area.  A ramp or two on the north coast by Isabella.   

Better bet on the west coast. Cabo Roho

I agree that the waters on the west coast are better suited for a ski boat and and if you ask around, you'll find the boat ramp in Cabo Rojo easily. You can't miss it but watch out for holiday weekends because there'll be long lines of boats, jet skis and jet boats waiting for the ramp. From Cabo Rojo you can go all the way around to La Palguera in Lajas. You'll find lots of boat enthusiasts just hanging out in the little "cayos" keys. You have Caracoles key, la Gata key among others. Actually, there's a lady in La Parguera that will sell you corn "alcapurrias" right on the pier and boy are they good with local hot sauce. You don't have to step out of the boat. You can also take your boat to Gilligan Island and spend the day in the warm crystal clear waters that cross the key in Guanica. If I were you, get that boat up to speed like NOW!!!  :D Boat enthusiasts are very nice people and very willing to assist.

All; you don't need a boat to visit Caracoles or Gilligan key. There are water taxis so you have no excuse to adventure these beautiful natural spots and have some serious fun with your kids on a holiday weekend. Take on lots of fluids, and try to be there early. Gilligan has limited access to tables and to do your own BBQ so the early bird, takes the worm. :cool:

Interesting thread....as I'm moving to Fajardo soon, and definitely like to wet a hook, I found this pretty informative. I was going to walk the beach, dusty roads and just look for and empty pier in my area. That being said, I still have to get in a Jeep and start exploring. Thanks for the info guys. If anyone , after Aug., wants to take a boat out, holler!

Hola Jeanne:

Fajardo is a place where water taxis are abundant in Puerto Rico. You can go to marina Puerto Chico, Marina Puerto del Rey, or just go to Las Croabas boat ramp that I'm pretty certain you'll catch a ride. You can catch the Fajardo ferry to Culebra or Vieques and the rates are cheap. Your best bet to fish in a pier would be Roosevelt Roads Navy base in Ceiba although I was successful fishing from the pier at Puerto Del Rey.

I like to tape the Kayak Fishing show in WFN for later viewing and this morning I watched nice tarpon fishing in Laguna San Jose in front of The Mall of San Juan. You could see the Teodoro Moscoso bridge that leads to the airport in the background

Okie doki....i learn. Ceiba is right up the road from me...Del Rey is kinda across the street... around the corner. I haven't been to the ferrys yet.
Thank you for your info. 😉

Jeanene: Culebra is full of English speaking folks. You should pay Culebra a weekend visit and have lobster and wine at "El Eden", go to the dinghy dock and make friends,  catch some rays at beautiful Flamingo beach on the west side or just go to any pier, relax and drop a hook. IMO, Culebra is the prettiest of the Spanish VI. I'm pretty certain that if you ask around, there'll be a water taxi available to show you the pristine waters of Culebra. You should also rent a jeep if you want to be able to move your way around the island.

I planned on it. I think there is a ferry from Fajardo. I want to snorkel there also. Thanks for the insider tips.😉

I saw I can rent a jeep, and that N
Mamasitas looks to be a popular place to stay?, although I'm a airbnb kinda gal. I've seen photos....I really can't wait until the dust settles with the house, purchasing a vehicle, appliances, lining up a remodel, etc., so that I can do some fun things.

I just moved to Punta Santiago in august 2020 and can confirm locals fishing in the surf just over knee deep. I've seen numerous snook, tarpon & jack pulled out. Being a Florida native and how over stressed the fishing was there it's amazing to see the abundance of fish here. There's a group that show late afternoon like clockwork every day except maybe the weekends when it's crowded. There's schools of mullet that travel downstream every night from the reserve into the ocean.

I am excited to explore PR for the first time next week - arriving to see properties for a move from Calif.  Fishing is a must, as are waters for diving & SeaDoo ing.  Anyone here use the SeaDoo or JetSki for fishing?