Can you buy apartment/condonium on tourist visa?

I can not find this anywhere, wich could indicate the type of visa is not important. But i wanna know for sure.

Thanks

Yes.... I have done exactly that. You can either buy as foreign ownership (which will cost a lot more) or through Thai company ownership, which is what I have done. I retire out there in July, and maybe buy 2 or 3 more to rent out and subsidise my pension, so I can live there. I can then place all the condos as assets to the company, so it's all above board and legal.

Yes, you can buy on tourist visa but unfortunately they only let you stay there for duration of your visa.  Most countries offer residency when you buy property, but not Thailand . Be careful renting it out as that can be illegal . Also be aware of costs and charges relating to the running of the complex , it can be expensive . I had to pay a share of carpark re-surfacing, plumbing , swimming pool renovation on top of my yearly service charge, insurance and yearly tax returns. I sold mine after 10 years , i decided it was cheaper to rent a condo each time i went over .
Good luck  Terry

thankyou phil for your advice on company ownership. How is company ownership cheaper and by about how much?

I will really appreciate your response. Will it be too much to talk to you or get a email response!!!. I live in Sacramento, California and trying to buy a condo. Do the real estate agents do all the paperwork!!!

My email is ***

thankyou very much

girish kumar

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details for your own security

Thanks for the answers Pfil and Terry. I will probably buy it as freehold even knowing it is more expensive, to feel secure that i own it 100 percent legaly in my own name. If you sell it one day it would still be a freehold for foreigners and it will probably be more expensive then also.

Regardind Thai company, this will require a minimum of 51 percent is owned by Thais?

To Yogananda: a wild guess would be 15-20 percent cheaper because the freehold options are less available and only way for a foreigner to own 100 percent in his/her own name and not through a company

Hi Mathias
On a tourist visa :
You can buy a condo (Freehold) on a foreign quota. Just make sure you check the quota with the Juristic office of the residence where your condo is located.
You can also buy a house ( leasehold). A foreigner cannot own a land (you can lease it 30 years renewable 2 times = 90 Year total). Just make sure you have this inked in the contract.

May I ask you if you already know where do you want to relocate ? which city ?
If you are looking in Hua Hin area, i can provide you with contact.

thanks very much. But who will help with paper work???. Can you refer some body?