La Paz School vs CRIA/Living in CR with kids

Hello,
We are going to be moving to the Guanacaste area and would love some input on the two private international schools we are considering(La Paz and CRIA). My son will be 9 this summer and going into the 4th grade. He does well in school and is into Basketball, Jiu Jitsu, Volleyball and is learning to surf. He's a sweet kid with a big heart and good values. We are very involved with him and the main reason for moving to CR is to have more time as a family and get away from the Chaos in So Cal. Life is just to stressful and busy here and life is just passing by. We are coming down in June and have appointments with both schools but I would love some input from parents that might have kids in the schools. Any maybe some input on life with a family in CR.
Thanks so much.
Christine

Since no one else has commented on your post here is my 10 cents worth.

Most of the participants on this forum are retired, so usually not with children so we have less info /insight regarding schools here.

It is not inexpensive to raise a family here as most expat parents insist on a good education for their children which means enrolling them in a private school...and until they are Permanent residents (this can take 4-5 years from the initial application) they can't legally work, unless they are working with a work permit or work on-line. If you do intend to work on-line, make sure to really check what internet is available from your chosen residence.

The mandatory, subsidized health care, CAJA,  may be  much  higher if the principal applicant is under 55. Unfortunately, one never knows how much the premium will be until the last step in the Residency application.

Their isn't many extracurricular activities offered in the small beach towns except surfing....  :whistle:  ...and soccer.

If you chose to live at one of the smaller beach communities, make sure you have enough interests to keep busy.

One thing to note is that gets  dark approx. 6-6.30 pm year round.

Good luck. :top:

Make sure to ask if your son will be enrolled in gr.4 as he may be enrolled in gr,3 due to his  birthday being mid-year.

Hola, We have a friend who teaches at La Paz,and what we hear from her,and other parents this school is excellent.They run their school year the same as in the U.S.,they teach in english,and is accredited  to U.S.schools.Cria is the same.I have a friend that sends his son there,and is quite happy with it.If this is your first visit to this area,I suggest you rent first.I have met lots of Americans,Canadiens,and people from Europe that come here to live without checking it out first.Your coming from Southern Cali,the land of convenience.It's everything but conveinient here in Guanacaste.I traveled to all parts of Costa Rica before I decided on living here at the beach.I'm very happy here.Arrive with an open mind,just sayin,check it out first.

Hi Christine,

1. Schools. Each private school will welcome your son for a full day or even two full days. If you haven't already, I would recommend that you arrange as much time at each school as you can and that he chat with the guidance counselor. The faculty and staff are used to transplant families and they will make him feel welcome. Hopefully he will make a friend or two and spend the afternoon with them! You can ask the directors of admissions if a friendly family of a student in his class would have him over to visit. You will compare/contrast after-school clubs and sports, etc., but families make their own after-school and weekend activities more themselves then find them in kung fu...music...classes, so again, not to early to forge friendships with families.

If you are on Facebook, there are quite a few groups you can join to get feedback and you may find some for each of the schools and Guanacaste families.

Obviously great that you are visiting because you and your son need to experience each school, probably the one he feels more at home at will be obvious.

2. Long Term Move and Employment. Sounds like you are already studying all you can find on these aspects, obviously it is complicated but if you are careful and patient, why hesitate?   Good luck!

@Christinebala May I ask which school your child ended up attending and why did you decided on that school? How is life going down there?  Has it been a positive experience? We are considering moving there with 3 children (10,12 and 14).  We currently live in Austin, Tx and have also lived in London and Oslo over recent years.  My husband is American and I am British.  Thank you for any advice and tips you may have.

Hi, I have been living in Costa Rica for 8 years raising my two girls. They are currently at CRIA and the girls are happy. I would say the level of education is about the same as a state (free) school in the UK. The sun shines most of the year. So that's the only real benefit. We have spent some time looking at the private schools on the coast and if you want a high quality good education in Costa Rica the only option is San Jose.

Totally agree.

People have to remember that since it gets dark about 6m, and kids want to participate in extracurricular activities there isn't much choice at the beach and you don't want them 'playing outside' or riding their bikes in the dark.

@Christinebala hi I read your message we are looking to move to Costa Rica sometime a little lost on how to go about doing things. Your message said that you're moving in July but everything I've read up on you almost need to do things on a month-to-month basis like a job and finding a house that kind of stuff just curious on how you went about doing things if you would be willing to share

@Christinebala

Hi... Jamie here,  just wondered if you made a choice of schools ... between La Paz or CRIA... ?    We are in the same situation.... planning to move from N. Falls Canada to C Rica.... Playa Flamingo area...  thanks so much... Jamie

@mrsmcmc

Yes... I would like to find out which school was chosen by this family....  we are planning to move the C R near Playa Flamingo and looking at both La Paz and CRIA  ....  I would like to find out where to look for a comparison chart... lol

Cria is strutured and rules based.

La Paz is liberal and a little woke

I would visit both before making a decision. academically about the same.