Medication in Mexico

Do we need to see a Dr for prescription for metformin, blood pressure pills, testosterone patches etc
Or are they available for walk-in at pharmacy? I

Jasmine,

A prescription is always a good idea.
As an example, I was using dental cleaner as a jewelry cleaner. As you know that is not a prescription item, but they demanded one and would not allow me to have the dental cleaner. I did my best to let them know it was like wanting a script for toothpaste, but no.

i have a female dr. who is super sharp. she tells me that prescriptions are NOT a guarantee that u can obtain meds cheaper nor available here. so keep your on line supply stores available.AMAZON wont ship to mexico any type of medications, but i have an EL PASO TX POST OFFICE BOX where my son will pick for me when he is in el paso. u might  have to do the same.MEXICAN MAIL not only terrible but not trustworthy. use fed-ex or ups deliveries.

Except for SS, we will be cutting ties with the US..so no medical to fall back on

You don't need a prescription for medications in Mexico except for narcotics.  Diabetes, blood pressure and most other medications are available over the counter.  I was taking Januvia and the cost per month in Mexico was $60 usd the same as my co pay in NY.

wkramer wrote:

You don't need a prescription for medications in Mexico except for narcotics.  Diabetes, blood pressure and most other medications are available over the counter.  I was taking Januvia and the cost per month in Mexico was $60 usd the same as my co pay in NY.

Antibiotics, pain meds, and psychoactive drugs require a script.  If they feel drugs are being misused or abused they can be added. I expect diabetic drugs to be added in the future because of the massive numbers being diagnosed with type 2. Shipped drugs will require a script to clear the border.

My wife is taking cannabis oil for her cancer, prescribed by a doctor here, where it's legal. Could she travel to Mexico with the oil in her luggage, or is that illegal? Alternatively, could she have it courier'd in, or is that illegal? Alternatively again, could she get a prescription for it in Mexico, or is the oil not legally available there?

I'd be grateful for any and all advice.

Gordon Barlow wrote:

My wife is taking cannabis oil for her cancer, prescribed by a doctor here, where it's legal. Could she travel to Mexico with the oil in her luggage, or is that illegal? Alternatively, could she have it courier'd in, or is that illegal? Alternatively again, could she get a prescription for it in Mexico, or is the oil not legally available there?

I'd be grateful for any and all advice.

The situation is up in the air here. After months of petitions the parents of a girl with intractable seizures were able to obtain permission for Cannabis oil use for her. But otherwise it is not legal. They are thinking about it.  The U.S. is responsible for it being illegal here.

I don't know if a prescription would have any effect at all, I suspect not, but that doesn't mean you can't talk with your doctor in the U.S., and perhaps ask the Mexican counsel in your state about laws and procedures that you can try. If those parents could petition perhaps you could also.

Thanks for replying so soon. Much appreciated. Actually we don't live in the US but in the Cayman Islands in the Caribbean. Next time we do go to Mexico, for whatever length of time, we would almost certainly fly via Cuba or Honduras, not via the US. So it's entering Mexico that concerns me.

Again, thanks.

On June 19, 2017 MX legalized  medical marijuana

Gdkeeth wrote:

On June 19, 2017 MX legalized  medical marijuana

Well, sort of 1% legal
" Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto signed a bill that would make medical marijuana legal in the country, but, as Herb reported, there is one major catch: the government is taking seriously tiny baby steps. According to the new law the, “pharmacological derivatives of cannabis” will be made legal and those derivatives can only contain less than one percent of THC."

Gordon Barlow wrote:

Thanks for replying so soon. Much appreciated. Actually we don't live in the US but in the Cayman Islands in the Caribbean. Next time we do go to Mexico, for whatever length of time, we would almost certainly fly via Cuba or Honduras, not via the US. So it's entering Mexico that concerns me.

Again, thanks.

So Gordon it is moving faster than I thought. What percentage of THC is in your wife's oil ? It looks like with a script you might be able to get them to approve it. Great news.

Thanks for your help, chaps. I don't actually know what our Law says, but to the best of my knowledge there are only two "mixtures" (concentrations) allowed to be imported here. One is called 1:20, the other 10:10. Those are the ratios of THC to CDB. THC is the intoxicant (which gives a "high", when smoked), the other a painkiller. A friend of mine takes the 1:20 for her arthritis. My wife began on that, too, but then switched to the 10:10. It's the THC that "anecdotal evidence" says (i.e. "some people reckon"!) sometimes cures cancer, or at least retards it. My wife refuses to take chemo or radiation because some years ago she had a severe reaction to them. Some people are reported to take The Oil on top of chemo. So for us it's the oil or nothing.

The dosage is very small - half a millilitre twice a day (that's about a third of a teaspoon), and quite expensive. A 60-ml bottle - enough for 60 days - costs about US$260-270.

I'm telling you as much as I know, to put it on record here for anyone else who might need the stuff. There are a lot of stories on the Internet about The Oil being used for seizures, which it cures, and just about anything else. It's being increasingly recognised as something really special. Whether it will cure cancer is not at all certain, but then most of us old folk fear pain a lot more than death!

As you'd expect, importation is strictly controlled. The only licensed importer here in Cayman brings it in from Canada, though an attempt is being made to arrange for a manufacturer in Jamaica. And not all doctors know enough about it to have the confidence to prescribe it.

As hipocrates himself said ' let nature and food be your medicine' There are many things used over centuries that have proven their worth. THC is one of them. 
I went around and around trying to get a family member I.V. vitamin C, which has shown significant benefit, but the hospital was  still considering it when he died. 

Good luck