How old can my Federal (FBI) background check be?

Hi All,

How old can my Federal (FBI) background check and its Apostille be before it is too old to apply for my visa?

I am reading it can not be more than 60 days old. But the confusion seems to be: Is the 60 day period based on the date of the FBI report to when I enter Ecuador? or from when I apply for my visa?

Scheduling this report is tricky because the federal office in the US is so backed up.

Thanks for any and all of your help!

The FBI background check cannot be older than 180 days after the date it was issued. I mean the date of the report, not the date of the apostille.

Got it. Thanks so much for the quick reply! I finally did find it online but there are just so many conflicting facts.

Do you think that it would be easier and cheaper for me to get my background checks (Federal & State) translated and notarized in Ecuador? I live near NYC and they wanted $150 each for the translation and state apostille. I know that the background  checks need to be apostilled on a state and federal level, but do the translations need to be apostilled as well on a state level? I am a little confused about that.

Paternostro18 wrote:

Do you think that it would be easier and cheaper for me to get my background checks (Federal & State) translated and notarized in Ecuador? I live near NYC and they wanted $150 each for the translation and state apostille. I know that the background  checks need to be apostilled on a state and federal level, but do the translations need to be apostilled as well on a state level? I am a little confused about that.

All translations to español should be done in Ecuador.   If you do them in New York, expect to be told later by an Ecuadorian lawyer or bureaucrat that the translations will have to be redone.

Apostilles are documents that authenticate original personal documents for international use.  If you ask a state agency to apostille a translation, you will probably be confusing and baffling to them.  That is not what they do.

cccmedia

Tx ccmedia...I have read quite a few of your threads. Very helpful!

Hi Pater:

As CC mentioned, getting your translations done in Ecuador is preferred.

You will want the original document apostilled in the appropriate Secretary of State's office and bring your documents here or scan them for your translator to begin working on them even before you arrive.

The usual cost is between $10 and $15 page although the best facilitators include some of that cost in the fee they charge.

It is important to choose your translator wisely as they will need to present themselves and the documents they have translated to a notary here in Ecuador for acknowledgement of the documents, that the documents were translated correctly, and that the translator is qualified to do the job.

You may want to check the HANDY TOOLS section of this site and go to the Business Directory.  There you will find a  link to Ecuador Visas and Document Services which is Dana Cameron's organization.  With over 15 years of experience she is the preferred facilitator for the majority of expats.

A quick word about finding a facilitator online:  do ask around about your choice.  There are a number of facilitators advertising on places like Cuenca High Life who claim "100% success".  Be aware.  No facilitator can legally claim that.  Why?  Because it is not up to the facilitator but to the immigration office if an expat is allowed a visa.  Anyone who makes the claim that they have a 100% success rate is either lying or they are taking and using bribes to gain clearance for expats who should not be allowed entrance.  And those of us here a long time know enough to recall the numerous shake ups in the immigration division where expats were stripped of their visa when it was found they participated in bribing officials (the officials were of course incarcerated).

Stick with those facilitators with a clean record, highest integrity, greatest experience, and reasonable rates ($750 plus expenses is reasonable).

That's my advice as an expat here for close to a decade.

Susan

Thanks so much Susan. I appreciate it!