Banking in Uruguay

Hello dear members,

Can you recommend some financial institutions i.e. Commercial Banks in Uruguay?

What about their facilities they offer? For example: [Internet Banking, Credit Facilities, ATM's machine availability throughout the country]

How the mentioned institution(s) has(ve) facilitated or facilitate your life?

Please do not hesitate to share your experience on the Expat-Blog community.

Thank you in advance for your future contribution.

Uruguay has a lot to offer in the way of banking. There are five retail banks, Five retail/wholesale banks (which is what I assume you mean by commercial bank), and three universal banks. The most popular bank for individual checking and saving accounts for individuals is the State owned bank, Banco Republica. Most main bank branches are located in Montevideo's Old City and Cento.

Commercial banks include:
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria Uruguay S.A.,Banco Santander,HSBC Bank, Lloyds TSB, and Discount Bank

The three universal banks are Credit Suisse Consultaciones y Servicios S.A.,UBS, and Deutsche Bank

If you are an expat it is a good idea to call ahead and learn what the banks requirements are to open a bank account. The requirements vary and change from time to time. (If you are US Citizen opening a personal account you will probably need to go with Banco Republica, which is the only bank I know of that will open an account for US persons.)

Uruguayan banks allow you to hold deposits in your choice of dollars, Uruguayan pesos, or euros.

There are ATM's all over the country, and is the best way to get cash if you are traveling. 

There are ATM's throughout Uruguay.

Blog article: paradiseuruguayblog.com/2010/10/banking-in-uruguay.html

If the bank allows you to deposit in dollars, is there a fee ?

There is no special fee for having a US dollar account as opposed to a Uruguayan peso or euro account.