Bringing A Pet

My wife and I are planning on traveling throughout Vietnam later in the year and want to eventually settle somewhere like Vung Tau or Da Nang. How difficult would it be to bring a small dog (less than 20 lbs) into the country and are apartment rentals averse to having pets? If not, are there typically pet deposits and how much would they run?

On the darker side of this, I've read horror stories about dog-napping rings and was wondering if there's any truth to the rumors that dogs are stolen for certain restaurants.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Hello there,  bring a dog in is not a big problem but taking the dog back to your home country could be nightmare.  Re dog napping,  i wouldnt worry too much if you keep an eye on it or just pay little attention to it instead of letting the dog run free oitside.

Good to know! Thank you!

Search the Vietnam forum for pets. Many people have brought dogs, some cats. Look at the Vietnam immigration website, you should find links in your forum search. I have not imported a pet, but I think the VN regulations are no stricter than airline regulations.

Don't know about Da Nang and Vung Tau, in Saigon D7 there are tons of dogs in expat housing.

Don't know about Da Nang and Vung Tau, in Saigon D2 in a rich neighborhood, my Korean friend's family dog was kidnapped for ransom 6 months ago. His mother was walking it on the street, it was a two-guys-on-motorbike grab. According to him, it was common there. It is organized crime and happens often. Thieves wanted $1000. Police don't do anything. (wonder why? Bribes? Just animals?)
His family was playing hardball thinking the price would drop if they waited them out. I stopped asking him after a month, I was afraid to ask anymore.

Another interesting fact: the thieves only target fancy purebred dogs like my friend's poodle. Mongrels are ignored. The reasoning is that purebreds cost more, therefore are more valuable to the family. It is an insight into the criminal's values. To a westerner, even ugly dogs are family members and would fetch the same ransom.

You are a fount of useful information, my friend. Can I buy you a drink when I come over?

onceuponastage wrote:

You are a fount of useful information, my friend. Can I buy you a drink when I come over?

Sure if I can play catch with your dog!

http://pixen.netlify.com/pix/giphy_fetch.gif

I have a golden retriever and frightened badly by the idea of bringing him over, my situation will be posted on it's own section, but i know how you feel