How can you access your money in Sri Lanka?

I am going to be an Intern TEFL teacher, but because I am an Intern, I am not going to be granted an Employment visa by the School. I am still going to be paid, however, and want to know how I can secure my pay? I know that you have to have a certain Visa to open an account in Sri Lanka. I don't have a great deal of money, so a large deposit is not necessary.

I have to pay bills in Australia and won't have any funds coming from Australia once I come to Sri Lanka in February.

I have thought of Western Union: Sending a transfer to my parents and then they can deposit it into my Australian bank account. But I don't even know if I get paid in cash, or when as I am waiting on the contract.

I would suggest you have a look at the Immigration Department's website to make sure you will not need a proper visa during your stay, as it sounds like it will not be brief. We sponsored an intern in 2016, and his category of visa only allowed 1 month in country.
For small sums, remittence services like Western Union are relatively expensive, and will take a good sized bite out of your earnings. If you can, leave savings behind for your parents to disperse as bills become due.

Thank you for your advice. I will work some type of arrangement out.