Investing in Sri Lanka

Hello everyone,

During your expatriation in Sri Lanka, you might have been made aware of interesting investment schemes (local or international). Whether one wants to make money grow, protect oneself or prepare for retirement, investment is always an attractive option. It is, however, never free of risk. Would you, therefore, like to share some practical information for other expats and expats to be?

Is the Sri lankan economy open to foreign investment? Do local authorities encourage investment (through formalities, tax etc.)?

What are the promising sectors to invest and do business in Sri Lanka?

Who do you turn to for information before investing your money? (organisation, professional, lawyer, consultant)

According to the sectors of activity and the projects, what budget should be foreseen for an investment in Sri Lanka?

What do you think are the pitfalls to avoid and what advice would you give someone who wants to invest?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Diksha

Hello Diksha,

This Forum is just only common article.
it is not valid for sri lanka. but also other countries.
if you made with some specific information it will be very interesting.

with new government there is no any potential risk for investing.
just only common risk will effected for business as usual.

i would like to highlight one thing cull from the Article.
the most of foreign investors did not sense wide sector of sri lankan business. they just invest only few fields Eg. Tourism, Agriculture, Spices/Fruits exporting & very small production industry.
But it is very big wide view they have not sense unfortunately.
this is the very useful topic to forum as my view.
have a nice day
Don

Hi Diksha,

I posted a similar question here about a month back.

I know one has to spread the capital into different kinds of investment. But I don't know  which ones are the most secure and profitable.

Please PM me if you made progress. 

Thanks!

Brinda

Hello Brinda,

I'm part of the Expat.com team and this topic is one of the many topics launched on the forum to allow members to interact on a specific subject which has the potential to be of interest to them.

Good to know that this is indeed a subject of interest for expats in Sri Lanka.  :)  Surely, you must not be the only one asking yourself such questions.

Your post will definitely be read by those who are considering investment options in Sri Lanka and hopefully, you will receive some insightful advice.

Good luck in any future endeavours you undertake,

Diksha
Team Expat.com