Repatriating funds from Sri Lanka to UK

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I'm in urgent need of some guidance. My mother-in-law, a Sri Lankan national, sadly passed away a couple of years ago and her financial assets, namely money in a couple of bank accounts, were left to her x2 surviving children, one of which is my wife. The sum, not huge but reasonable, has now been released by the courts however we are now struggling to determine what the next steps are to repatriate the funds over to the UK. We all live in the UK by the way.

As we understand it there might be some restrictions on how much we can move and even before that we have been told that we would need to open an account into which the funds are deposited and then subsequently transferred. However as I we understand it, non-Sri Lankan national are not allowed to hold accounts.

We would welcome any advice on what the correct steps are and how the process should work. Also any recommendations for professional help would be welcome.

Thanks

Contact a bank like Commercial Bank of Sri Lanka and they will give you the right financial advice.