Trustworthy Jewellers (HCMC) for ring size change???

Hi all, I have a gold ring that needs a size change (made smaller), can any of you recommend a trustworthy jewellers in HCMC that can do the work?

Thanks.

I know a gold shop with whom my family regularly does business, but any jeweler can size a ring while you wait, and since you would be standing right there, trust is not an issue.  It's not a 15 minute job, so prepare to be there for a while or make an appointment for a convenient time.

It is still difficult for foreigners to find a jeweler how knows his way around the tools. I think stores generally send jewelry out to a secret place they don't want you to know about.

I brought back a Moissanite stone from the US (looks like a diamond, passes the test as genuine on a diamond-o-meter, sparkles even better, but cheap) We took it to the jewelry store in Vincom Center to have it mounted, to match the wedding ring we bought there. We made an appointment and assumed the actual jeweler was in the building, but no.

The sales girl, in her fancy red ao dai, led us out of the building and we all took a taxi to Le Loi Street. We followed into a small Vietnamese restaurant, then back into the kitchen, then down stairs into a dank cellar. Yes! This is where it happens. The idea is that a diamond (or any stone) is easily swapped for junk, and in Vietnam you can't even trust your high-end jeweler, so they have to let customers watch the whole process. The guy was nice and he did a good job in the sweatshop.

No I don't remember where it was exactly without walking around. Must be lots of places like that. And I'll definitely be cutting out the middleman next time we make something.

http://pixen.netlify.com/pix/jeweler_500.jpg

gobot wrote:

It is still difficult for foreigners to find a jeweler how knows his way around the tools. I think stores generally send jewelry out to a secret place they don't want you to know about.

We took it to the jewelry store in Vincom Center... We made an appointment and assumed the actual jeweler was in the building, but no.

The sales girl, in her fancy red ao dai ...

I haven't been to Vincom Center (yes, I'm woefully ignorant of the big shopping centers and big stores -- finally went to Saigon Centre a few weeks ago for dinner, on the invitation from a friend in Canada, and saw Annam Market for the first time) but I understand perfectly why there wasn't a jeweler on site.  When stores pay the rent by precious m2, there's no place for real workers. 

Your neighbourhood jewelers are where you should go to for any kind of jewelry services.  Any place where the staff wears ao dai, I stay far from (ao dai ALWAYS adds to the price), although I do quite a bit of business with a neighbourhood large cell phone store where all the female staff wear very short skirts and know nothing about cell phone problems. 

Anyhow, long answer short: be friend with your neighbourhood shops and often they will not steer you wrong.  But then again, if the OP lives in Q1, then that's not a very easy task.

BTW, my daughter and son-in-law's rings are moissanite.  They're happy with their choice.