Visa Process and Moving To China

Can I get advice on the overall process on moving to China? 'm planning to come to teach english and would love some personal experience advice on how to make the move. Any and all stories would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, i lived for 3 years in China with business multienter visa. To get your Business Visa (BV) first time will take time and money. I will explain you step by step the process of obtaining a BV.
You fly from hometown to China
Settle up ur place for living, hotel or an apartment
Find a job
Go to local Head Department of Police  migration department in return you get list of things to be applied
That list includes many procedures which you would need to go through. First of all is getting many docs through police departments, from your living area, living city, from the area where is work located.
You also would need to go through medical checking.
Also would need permit from Ministry of labor.
When you get your work permission from ministry of labor and after getting all the docs from police departments and medical checking, when everything will be done you can apply to head of police department of city for a BV.
To get all the docs from the list you may spent about 1,5 month. After applying for a BV you would need to wait for about 3 weeks. Finally when you get your BV it will be a sticker on your passport which will not give you permission to work. To get permission to work and be eligible you need to fly back home and give your passport to the Embassy of China in your country. After 2 weeks you will get your BV. Total time to get BV is about 2 motnh.
After getting it on your passport next time it will be easier and cheaper if you prolong it by staying in China. Next time you don't need to fly back home but all the procedures will be the same.

Good luck everyone! Sorry for any mistypes.

The process is pretty straightforward...

Prep - Make sure that you have the necessary background
You NEED to have a 4 year college degree. You NEED a TSOL or ESL certificate to teach. You also NEED a minimum of two years teaching experience.

First step - Find a Company to work for

You go get a visitor visa in your home country.  Get a plane ticket.  Come to China and go school to school and interview.  If you give yourself a week, you should be able to interview at around 20 schools easy, and get maybe 15 offers.  Then sign a contract with one of them.  They will tell you what to do next.

Second Step - Get the working visa
You will need to take the school paperwork to the Chinese embassy in your home nation. They will run a criminal check on you and process your z-visa.  They will cancel your visitor visa and give you a z-visa instead. Once you have the visa, you can come to China and work.

It's all pretty easy.

Hi Vannrox,

The school that has offered me a job said that I can go to China on a tourist visa and then they will convert it to a z visa for me. Is this normal and legal?


That's what I did. That is the best way to do it.

You come to China and shop around for the best deal , school, and salary.

However, please note that during the process that you will probably need to go back home on the final stages of the z-visa exchange.

Ok, thanks. I'm really getting a lot of mixed messages online.

There's a lot of confusion on the internet.

In general, this is my advice. Do not over think things. It is far better to come to China unprepared and make your way, then to spend your time sitting outside of China trying to get everything right. Action is more important than planning.

It is never as bad as you fear. Never.

Hello everyone! Greetings from Singapore!
I have just received an offer from Beijing and agreement is signed, however, now moving on to the VISA and work permit application process, I have a several issues here and would like some experts to advise:

1. Criminal report - where can I get this? Can I get this from the police station HQ in Kuala Lumpur (where my hometown is). After that it need to be certified by the China Embassy in KL.

2. Body check-up - It has to be done by clinics or institution recognized by the China Embassy - any ideas where can I go in Singapore?

3.  Bachelor degree certification - it has to be authenticated by the China Embassy - I studied in Flamingo Institute which is recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia. Can I just send this over to Beijing for the employer's agent as supporting or has this to be verified again by the China Embassy in KL?

Anyone replies me with ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

Kind Regards,
Sow Teng

1. Criminal report - You can get this from the police station HQ in Kuala Lumpur (where your hometown is). Get it and give it to them. It's just a piece of paper to them.

2. Body check-up - The Chinese dpt of immigration has their own hospitals that are dedicated just for this task. They will tell you when to go and what to do. It is easy.

3.  Bachelor degree certification - it has to be authenticated by the China Embassy - I studied in Flamingo Institute which is recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia. Just get a copy of it and send that with all your other papers.

Don't think too hard. It won't be nearly as difficult as you fear.

Thanks a lot for your advice here! I hope everything will be smooth! Will get the information from the relevant department :)

You are really helpful
I am from Ethiopia, I am interested on teaching English in China, do you  think its better to come to China using a tourist visa first? which city do you think is with better opportunities? please help
Thank you

Greetings from Singapore!

Hello everyone, question, anyone has the information on which hospitals or clinics are recognized by the Chinese Embassy here in Singapore? I have to do check-up at one of these recognized institutions before getting the report endorsed. I was trying to contact the Chinese Embassy here to get the list or info but no response so far.

It seems like a long process just to obtain these relevant documents prior to the VISA application process.

Your info will be much appreciated! Thank you guys! :)

Thanks and Regards,

The hospital for a body check for a Z-visa will be in China. You will not need to get it done outside the nation.

Hi I am Pooja goyal from India,. My husband got the job offer in tianjin and we are moving there within 6 months. I want to know that if I also need work permit visa then what will be the procedure.Thanks

You will not be able to work in China without a Z-visa.

You will need to apply for one.

I would suggest you go with your husband on a visitor visa - long term, multiple entry. Then find work, and switch over your visa with the company that hires you. Best of luck. BR.

Thanks for your response.
Can you share your experience about tianjin with us. How is the city? Which is the best place stay in tianjin for expats? We are the family of 3 me , my husband and my 3 year old kid. Your response would be appreciated. Thanks☺️

Hello Dear
I have some questions, I already have a Z  visa, what else do I need to work in China? do I have to authenticate all my documents in China Embassy? Is that must to work with the organization which send me the invitation for the Z visa or I can look for a another company to work with. Please let me know
Great day!

If you have a z-visa then there is nothing else you need. The moment you see that little blue book, you are good to go.

Thank you, is that must to work with the company which send me the invitation for my Z visa? and which city do you think is with more opportunities for black non native teacher? Thank you

Yes. You will need to work in that first company. Over time, you can supplement your income at home by teaching on the side.

By the time your contract expires, you should have enough experience to name your price and go anywhere you want. Consider this first company a "foot in the door". Do your best and work hard.

Do not ever compare your self to others. You will be fine.