Chinese Visa Medical - STI Screening

Hello,

Not sure if anyone could advise, as it's really hard to find an answer online.

I've been offered a job in China, but over 2 years ago I was treated for early stage Syphilis, prior to testing positive. I now have the antibodies for life, but no underlying health conditions otherwise. Does anyone know if I would be likely to fail the visa medical as a result of this? I would be deemed fit to work in any other case.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have any news about this? I'm in the same situation

Hello Michele,

Welcome to expat.com!

Unfortunately the member Brink182 has been inactive since a few months and so, I doubt that you will receive an answer from him.

I encourage you to add your own thread on the China forum where you can ask all your questions. This will provide you with more visibility on the forum.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hello! I do have an update for you, and you have no reason to stress.

I'm here in China and doing well. I didn't have any issues finalising and being issued my visa.

Just make sure that all your necessary paperwork is completed fully and clearly as required. I believe I requested a VDRL test for the syphilis. This should detect an active case of the disease, as opposed to the antibodies you'll carry for life with an RPR test.

I have had no issues entering or staying in the country, with no questions asked when submitting the medical at the required venue upon arrival.

Good luck and all the best!

Hello Brink182,

It's awesome that you are back! 1f60e.svg

Thanks a lot for the little update!

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@Brink182

Hello, can I ask where in china are you and did you request the VDRL test at the medical centre in china?

Thank you,

G

Hi! Any update ? (-:

@Brink182

Hi there,

I was diagnosed and treated with syphilis in a local hospital in Zhejiang Province in December 2022. After 3 months, I went back for another test - and of course, the blood work still showed positive, but I was given the red book (health certificate) - which will be given to the local PSB. However, the one who was in charge of processing in my school called the PSB ahead and told them about the situation, and they said I should exit China as soon as possible. I really wanted to go back and teach there again.